Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16

Author Topic: Evil Genius  (Read 34598 times)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evil Genius
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2010, 04:41:38 pm »

You would think that agents of justice wouldn't be slaughtering people in a hotel around tourists who think that they are in an actual hotel.

Because those costumes your minions wear are so subtle.

"Oh, hey, 15 guys in identical cheesy outfits! Couldn't possibly be minions for an evil mastermind, could they?"

On a side-note, I generally find hotels to be pretty darn useless. Tourists aren't exactly a threat (minor heat if they escape the island with intel... or a pair of extra body bags in the freezer... or 10 seconds of spinning around in the mixer before they forget everything and leave harmlessly...), and having all your social minions constantly wandering halfway across your island is... bad. For one, they're kind of vulnerable to everything from agents to strong breezes, and for two, having social minions halfway across the map isn't much help when you really need some agents confused back at base.  :-\

Oh, and just because I like cramming as much info as possible into each forum post: is there any (easy) way to change the frequency with which different region's tourists arrive? I've seen maybe thousands of SMASH tourists, a handful of ANVIL tourists, and I can count on my fingers the cumulative number of times I've seen tourists from the other 3 regions. It's probably in one of those text files somewhere... but I was hoping somebody who's already looked up a solution would just tell me.  :D

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2010, 05:16:58 pm »

Yeah hotels definitely aren't worth it. Would be nice if the tourists spend all their time there, but I find more of them in my base instead of my hotel anyway.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2010, 05:25:59 pm »

Great....time for a restart.

I now understand why people hate the game for the bugs.

Well damn, i've never had that bug, and i've completed the game a good 6-7 times.

Have you patched your game?

I got it off gametap, don't think you can patch it, either that or it's patched already. It should be.

Where is the world domination button suppose to be (exact location)? What does it look like? I am holding onto this one last hope as I see nothing new on the world domination screen.

You mean move to new island button, as for its location, a quick google search and...

http://mthec.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/egf26.png

Yeah, kinda easy to see if its there.

NOTE FOR TOTEM COLLECTORS, DO IT BEFORE YOU GET TO ISLAND TWO.

If you do it after the game either crashes or the totems don't combine.

As for hotels, one hotel room and a room full of dancefloors creates a hotel that you need not staff, and takes up a fair amount of time. It you block the optional spot on the table, you also can put those in without you minions trying to be waiters.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2010, 07:09:42 pm »

its not there  :'(

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2010, 07:12:44 pm »

Square for square, if you assume that all things in the hotel are used equally, the best item is the bench. I just built a hotel lobby and filled it with benches. Worked alright. Stopped the tourists and gave agents and super agents more space to wander around in.

The second island doesn't have a lot of room for hotels, however. I just installed that user-patch that lets you put hotels inside the mountain (among other things).
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2010, 07:38:02 pm »

Square for square, if you assume that all things in the hotel are used equally, the best item is the bench. I just built a hotel lobby and filled it with benches. Worked alright. Stopped the tourists and gave agents and super agents more space to wander around in.

The second island doesn't have a lot of room for hotels, however. I just installed that user-patch that lets you put hotels inside the mountain (among other things).

Ah, the unofficial patch. I personally use it; making Freaks less likely to trip traps is generally considered a bad thing, but besides that it's got a lot of very, very handy improvements. And some not-so-handy-but-very-neat improvements, like building glass hotel doors anywhere - my Evil Genius now has a snazzy glass door leading into his Inner Sanctum, instead of some silly solid orange door.  :D

(It's also one of the few patches that you can find without hunting down dozens of broken links, which is an obvious plus!)

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2010, 08:10:50 pm »

Aha, but bench's only work in the morning and afternoon, dance floors work in the evening. But that's assuming time.

And the second base is better than the first, if you place a hotel partially in trees you clear the ones it was over, from there you just delete it and keep going till you have room
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2010, 09:47:46 pm »

Well, it had more to do with the fact I didn't care at all about the hotel, so I didn't feel like doing a whole lot with it. It think people have already said that not only are they ineffective at stopping tourists, they're also totally unnecessary, too, since tourists aren't a big deal. Even if they do walk in, they immediately fall for the traps at the front door, don't they? Yes they do.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2010, 10:01:09 pm »

Ah, fair enough.

I guess I just liked them because its where low loyalty minions go to drown there sorrows.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2010, 10:38:27 pm »

They were a big deal for me... I didn't use any traps. I kept everyone on the island out solely on valet minions. And killed whoever got in too deep.

Weird thing is I didn't have enough room in my base and was always at max generator capacity. Had to squeeze in a couple of generators here and there to hold my base.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2010, 11:11:07 pm »

Ah, fair enough.

I guess I just liked them because its where low loyalty minions go to drown there sorrows.

Low loyalty minions should be drowning their sorrows in my jail cells. If that's unavailable, the freezer always has room. No other options exist.  :P

Seriously, though, I rarely have problems with loyalty. Once you've got a few dozen loot objects generously scattered through your halls, and assuming you weren't a moron and didn't place loyalty-draining traps, disloyal minions are a non-issue.

(I occasionally have problems in the early game, before I have a chance to plunder too many objects... but then again, without any high-tier units, I can safely execute any low-loyalty minions. And loyalty-draining traps suck for a reason - Agents who lose their loyalty just turn into tourists, and can apparently still investigate your base if they're already wandering around inside, while loyalty-drained Minions desert on the spot. Compare to smarts/attention, where Agents are removed from your base and/or imprisoned, while Minions are just hauled off to the appropriate stat recovery room.)

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2010, 11:19:36 pm »

Worth noting if a minion steals from you you can tag them for capture then repeatedly zoom in on them, each time you zoom in they stop running away from your still loyal minions and turn to look at the camera. This can be invaluable if they have a large lead.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2010, 12:16:33 am »

Worth noting if a minion steals from you you can tag them for capture then repeatedly zoom in on them, each time you zoom in they stop running away from your still loyal minions and turn to look at the camera. This can be invaluable if they have a large lead.

True, but it's a freakin' pain.  ;)

I prefer to just stop them becoming disloyal in the first place. No thief ever gets more than 3 steps into my base, so I'm perfectly safe leaving loot objects scattered throughout the halls. Worst they do is disrupt the traffic flow, and I never have any desertions once I've got a few bits of treasure lining the passages. (Heck, by the end of the game you'll end up with more loot than you have high-traffic areas!)

On the other hand, zooming is handy when, say, Mariana decides to 'romance' that Technician who, for whatever reason, decided the far end of the island was a good place to hunt for research objects.  >:(

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2010, 09:21:26 am »

Every time a technician gets romanced by her, I let him go.

Bout time the poor soul got laid.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2010, 10:33:53 am »

On the other hand, zooming is handy when, say, Mariana decides to 'romance' that Technician who, for whatever reason, decided the far end of the island was a good place to hunt for research objects.  >:(

"Oi, Techie..What are you doing? Get back to work!"
"I am working."
"Looks to me like you're watching the damn TV."
"I'm researching..TV."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16