Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Obsidianizing a map, And cavern Height.  (Read 1386 times)

thekemp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Obsidianizing a map, And cavern Height.
« on: July 25, 2010, 03:02:10 am »

Two questions.

I cant build walls on the edges of my map, But i want to block a lot of edges in my map, so i can only allow entrance via one side. i was thinking Obsidian, Possible?

Also, Ive noted that cavern layers have been exceedingly close to the surface in 31.11, anyway to change that myself? (usually between 7-14 z layers, and thats not enough for me :( )

[edit]NO! Wrong section again, And i cant delete...  :'(

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidianizing a map, And cavern Height.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 03:33:51 am »

I'm not sure about your walls-at-edges conundrum or your caverns-close-to-the-top problem-o, but shouldn't there be a "move" option down in the bottom left of your screen for your wrong-section enigma?

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 05:19:31 am »

Walling off the map will still work in spite of the six tile distance enforced. However, you can channel up to 1 tile away from the edge of the map, and with some dwarfy finangling, you can make that an effective enough barrier.

Distance between caverns can be controlled with worldgen parameters. I forget the exact name, but it's something like distance_between_layer_1,distance_between_layer_2, and so on.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 08:42:32 pm »

If you want to go the full nine miles, you can put a series of raising bridges around the map edge (unlike walls they can go right up to the edge), attach levers, and pull.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 04:25:45 am »

Wouldn't enemies spawn inside the perimeter if you walled the edge of the map?

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 05:27:01 am »

Nope. But they would spawn on top of the walls.