Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I don't care which damn stone you use  (Read 453 times)

w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whitehouse.gov/president/
I don't care which damn stone you use
« on: September 25, 2006, 09:01:00 pm »

There are eight hundred billion stones.  

Within five feet of you personally, there are at least four or five billion.  

There are another four or five billion right next to the spot that I asked you to build a bridge on.

I do not care which damn stone you use.  I do not care if it is sandstone.  I do not care if it is schist.  I do not care if it is granite.  I do not care which damn stone you use.

The thing I care about is that you don't walk fifty miles to pick up one particular stone out of the eight hundred billion existing stones, when there are four or five billion right next to you.

You see that stone, right next to the place where I asked you to build a bridge? When you walk fifty miles to pick up some particular stone to use in that bridge, you know what's going to happen to the stone right next to the place where I asked you to build a bridge? Someone else is going to walk fifty miles to get it, and will bring it back another fifty miles to the same stone plot that you walked fifty miles to get your favorite stone from.

I do not care which damn stone you use.

Just pick up one of the four or five billion right next to the spot where I asked you to build the bridge.  

You know why I suggest this?

Because I do not care which damn stone you use.

Disclaimer: Great game anyway.

But I do not care which damn stone you use.

odd2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I don't care which damn stone you use
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 09:32:00 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000206

Some people care which _type_ of stone they use. The above suggestion caters to both sides (e.g. you could select "grey rock", or one of it's subtypes).

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 12:21:00 am »

Heheh.  Until this one gets fixed, there is at least a workaround: do some mining near the area where you're going to be building, then select the stones at the bottom of the list of available building materials.  Make sure you turn off other mining elsewhere before you get construction started.

weregamer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 07:19:00 pm »

And a related problem:

See that iron ore over there in the corner? Don't wait for George to come take it 10 miles to the stockpile before you use it for my "smelt iron" order. Just pick it up and use it.

This is most annoying for wood and fish, which can be gathered outside from the very beginning of the game. My first thought was "put the fishery next to the river". After a while I realized that in order to make that work, I'd also need a small stockpile near the fishery. But wait, then the cleaned fish get put into that instead of the food pile. Grrr.

I'd really like to see a "use nearest" option for stone build orders, and autmatically using nearest for things like fish cleaning, cooking, etc.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 08:43:00 pm »

Just put your fishery near your main food stockpile.  You're going to have to carry the fish there eventually anyway, after all, and it doesn't really make a difference if it happens before or after they're cleaned.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 11:13:00 pm »

Don't make stone stockpiles, and don't make ore stockpiles, things will go faster.  It is a bother that dwarves prefer stockpiles to loose items!

When you have 1 part time programmer writing the thing, it takes a long time to make everyone happy.  We need some kind of sticky poll where we can vote on our most pressing feature request ;p