Poll

PULL THE LEVER? [Y/N]

Y
- 281 (87.8%)
N
- 39 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 319

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 189

Author Topic: FailCannon: No Rest for the Wicked (or anyone else) (Succession: Battlefailed 2)  (Read 906394 times)

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile
Re: FailCannon: Super Happy Fun Beach (Succession: Battlefailed II)
« Reply #931 on: April 04, 2011, 10:24:10 am »

I just realised something that I doubt would actually happen. If you were to use magma to obsidianise the Sea of Ooze, that would destroy the forgotten beast extract, right?

What if it didn't? What if the resulting obsidian was tainted by the extract? It could still be dangerous, but if properly handled, it could be crafted into weapons of war. Imagine having a military armed with oozesidian short swords, infecting goblins with The Great Rot with every swing that connects.

Of course, that would mean that the safest course of action would be to send one poor idiot with an oozesidian weapon out to get himself killed every time there's a siege, so long as he lands at least one hit. I don't know whether that would fall under Boring But Practical or Awesome Yet Practical, but it'd mean that every goblin siege would end as a bunch of rotting corpses after a while. Too bad it would do absolutely fuck all to skanimals, though zanimals might be susceptible, I don't know how that works.

And imagine offloading oozesidian baubles onto an unsuspecting elven caravan. Mwuahahahahahahahahah..... biological warfare ftw.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 10:28:31 am by Strategia »

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: April 04, 2011, 10:46:58 am »

I just realised something that I doubt would actually happen. If you were to use magma to obsidianise the Sea of Ooze, that would destroy the forgotten beast extract, right?

What if it didn't? What if the resulting obsidian was tainted by the extract? It could still be dangerous, but if properly handled, it could be crafted into weapons of war. Imagine having a military armed with oozesidian short swords, infecting goblins with The Great Rot with every swing that connects.

Of course, that would mean that the safest course of action would be to send one poor idiot with an oozesidian weapon out to get himself killed every time there's a siege, so long as he lands at least one hit. I don't know whether that would fall under Boring But Practical or Awesome Yet Practical, but it'd mean that every goblin siege would end as a bunch of rotting corpses after a while. Too bad it would do absolutely fuck all to skanimals, though zanimals might be susceptible, I don't know how that works.

And imagine offloading oozesidian baubles onto an unsuspecting elven caravan. Mwuahahahahahahahahah..... biological warfare ftw.

This might actually be possible in a future version of DF, but it certainly isn't now.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: April 04, 2011, 12:08:01 pm »

This might actually be possible in a future version of DF, but it certainly isn't now.
Then we wait

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: April 04, 2011, 05:21:01 pm »

Don't think it's coming anytime soon, but great idea nonetheless.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: April 04, 2011, 05:54:39 pm »

Yeah it will take forever to do stuff like that for now we need to focus on a project to build a tower into the sky and hunt down the gods.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: April 04, 2011, 09:06:45 pm »

By the way have we hit adimantium yet because that could come in handy for when an inevitable acident happens and we let in 30 forgotten beasts.

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: April 04, 2011, 09:34:19 pm »

By the way have we hit adimantium yet because that could come in handy for when an inevitable acident happens and we let in 30 forgotten beasts.

Just be glad you only have 30 FBs to worry about, rather than whether or not the next adamantium tile you mine unleashes masterwork Fun.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: April 04, 2011, 09:45:03 pm »

Just be glad you only have 30 FBs to worry about, rather than whether or not the next adamantium tile you mine unleashes masterwork Fun.
Yes but it is still the most useful element in the entire game in terms of weapons and armor and we may be aby to get the FB's and hidden fun stuff fighting it out and thirty of them could probably survive the initial wave and it would be awesome

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: April 05, 2011, 12:45:07 am »

Yes but it is still the most useful element in the entire game in terms of weapons and armor and we may be aby to get the FB's and hidden fun stuff fighting it out and thirty of them could probably survive the initial wave and it would be awesome

True, but I'd still feel nervous as hell about every tile I'd be digging out. Although if one problem could be used to solve the other, that would be very good.

Who knows, the Great Rot might actually work wonders against the legions of evil. According to the wiki, they're immune to all poisons, but I don't know if beastie syndromes fall under that category. If they do, it might be..... interesting..... to change that. Yes, it could be considered cheating, of a sort, but clearing out HFS via biochemical warfare would be something very special. And it could fit in with the sadly apparently abortive backstory Seth was writing, way back when, with the demon-slaying FBs being the first harbinger of the evils encroaching on the world intent on its destruction.

Also, if its denizens are indeed brung low by syndromes, the edges of HFS could be walled off and the place could be used as the then-newest fortress expansion. Build living quarters and workshops suspended from the walls and ceiling, and use the floor as a giant garbage dump. Maybe there could even be magma channelled in from above, turning the floor into a massive incinerator - perhaps even the magma sea itself could be drained this way, through the adamantine vein and onto the floor of the HFS. Imagine the ambiance of having a small city suspended from the roof of HFS itself over a lake or river of magma, while the magma sea would provide plenty of room for storage when drained. Necropoli would naturally be built on the lowermost levels of HFS, and covered by magma when full.

Then again, I do have a tendency to daydream of impossible achievements, so this is just a mental image. For now.

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: April 05, 2011, 04:49:09 am »

If I'm right, the cause of the great rot is not poison (because FBs are immune to poison) - it's frozen extract. It causes frostbite, and untreated frostbite causes outright rotting/wounds that when unhealed, rot like any other wound.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: April 05, 2011, 06:43:34 am »

"Frozen" just means "solid." It doesn't mean that it's actually cold.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: April 05, 2011, 06:49:28 am »

If I'm right, the cause of the great rot is not poison (because FBs are immune to poison) - it's frozen extract. It causes frostbite, and untreated frostbite causes outright rotting/wounds that when unhealed, rot like any other wound.
No.
It is frozen because it has a high freezing point. It's not actually "freezing" as in under 0 degrees.

It's poison. FB's are immune to their own poison (and I'm actually not even sure about that), but not to the poison of others. The symptomes of FB dusts and such are randomly generated just as the beasts themselves are; when a lot of different FB poisons is applied to a living thing, it gets infected with a myriad of different diseases, rots and various other terrible things.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: April 05, 2011, 07:55:34 am »

No.
It is frozen because it has a high freezing point. It's not actually "freezing" as in under 0 degrees.

It's poison. FB's are immune to their own poison (and I'm actually not even sure about that), but not to the poison of others. The symptomes of FB dusts and such are randomly generated just as the beasts themselves are; when a lot of different FB poisons is applied to a living thing, it gets infected with a myriad of different diseases, rots and various other terrible things.

The Great Rot syndrome is, if I'm reading one of the bad futures right, transmissible, but it's still classified as a poison? That's too bad. So much for engaging in mass demoncide with biochemical weaponry. Oh well, at least it can still be weaponised against conventional enemies. Or more likely, given the history so far, against the fort itself.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: April 05, 2011, 09:50:36 am »

No.

The Great Rot syndrome is, if I'm reading one of the bad futures right, transmissible, but it's still classified as a poison? That's too bad. So much for engaging in mass demoncide with biochemical weaponry. Oh well, at least it can still be weaponised against conventional enemies. Or more likely, given the history so far, against the fort itself.
We dont know until we try
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 189