Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 73

Author Topic: Serial Killer Roguelike  (Read 115196 times)

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Serial Killer Roguelike
« Reply #915 on: August 27, 2010, 12:03:30 pm »

How about capturing a guy, cutting off his genitalia and putting them into a meat grinder with some hamburger, then take the penis-hamburger mix and make hamburger patties out of it, then cook them and make a Cheeesburger, then force the victim to eat his penis-cheeseburger. Bonus points if you make him watch you as you turn his penis into a cheeseburger.

Then after he finishes, impale him with a rusty pipe and piss into the end of the pipe that is not shoved up your victim..

That had to be tough childhood you had.  :o
On the other hand im hoping for a complex psychology and things like watching somebody suffer or watching this kind of sick stuff you described not only be possible but to have some kind of effect like causing heavy psychical trauma.
Reminds me of sin city:
"...made me watch him... suck the meat off my fingers, He made me watch. He made me waaaaatch!"

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: August 27, 2010, 12:25:43 pm »

I see leveling up as the process of getting new derangements that have to be met to get 'credit' for the kill.  As you progress, you require more and more grusome acts (or more rigorous rituals) to satiate your psychosis. 

Your psychoses (sp?) would fall into three categories
Victims and Restrictions(redheads, women, no guns, must use knives) that limit your targets
Rituals (Trophies, sex acts, messages) that cause you to take extra time
and
Acts (same as rituals) that cause you to leave more evidence behind.

With each kill, you get better and better at stalking, combat, etc, but require a more elaborate ritual (that makes it easier for cops to hunt you down).

Take Dexter's behaviour.  Killing is a need that rises over time.  The longer he waits, the more stressed he is, and the more suspicious he behaves.  (Humanity penalty a la Vampire).

Rather than start as a full fledged psychopath, you start as a young boy (whatever) sticking strays in refridgerators to get your kicks.  Eventually (pdq, or even as a start after the 'tutorial') you are forced to buy your first dementia.  (Human victims)

My .02c, anyway

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: August 27, 2010, 12:41:16 pm »

With each kill, you get better and better at stalking, combat, etc, but require a more elaborate ritual (that makes it easier for cops to hunt you down).

I totally like your idea of "getting new derangements that have to be met to get 'credit' for the kill".
But i don't like the idea of getting better at stalking and combat and leveling what so ever. Maybe you can get better at dismembering of the body, but you don't get better in combat after one fight or don't get more agile after you sneak in someones backyard. I would keep this away from standard fantasy "get powerful" roguelike.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: August 27, 2010, 12:53:25 pm »

Congrats crimsonking your game is on RPS. ...roguelike without alfa release, oh man.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 01:55:40 pm by kulik »

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: August 27, 2010, 01:07:27 pm »

This game looks good just for the ability to recreate famous killings from history and fiction.  I'd like to:
-Kidnap an NPC, tie him to a chair, cut his face off, show it to him, then nail it back onto his head. (Preacher)
-Seduce a prostitute with grapes and laudanum, murder her, cut out several of her organs, and send one to the police. (Jack the Ripper)
-Make a vest with tits on it. (Silence of the Lambs)
-Send taunting letters to the police and news outlets, possibly influencing NPC behavior, like making some of them wear specific clothes or carry specific items. (Several, but specifically the Zodiac Killer wanted people to wear buttons with his symbol on them.)

I think if I was going to be original about it, I'd be the Thighbone Killer.  Start by raiding a mortuary or graveyard for a leg or thighbone.  Process the leg into a thighbone if necessary, bludgeon someone to death with it, leave the murder weapon there, take the victim's leg.  Repeat from step 2.

With that on the table, I do wonder how robust any crafting system would be.  A Rube Goldberg device may be out of the question, but breaking off a chair leg or something should be possible.

Also if multi-story buildings are put in, it would be fun to fling severed body parts or whole corpses off of them.  Maybe it could actually help with corpse disposal.  Track your victim and keep track of when garbage pickup is.  Go to his high-rise, push the dumpster under his window and murder him before the garbagemen come.  Throw his body out the window, into the dumpster.

GARBAGE DAY! (I know, I know, not the same at ALL...)
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: August 27, 2010, 01:20:19 pm »

Congrats crimsonking you game is on RPS. ...roguelike without alfa release, oh man.  ;D

God I love Kieron Gillen, dude is a great writer and a total bro, and noted Bay12 fan to boot

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: August 27, 2010, 02:02:07 pm »

Really, CK needs to release an alpha. As RPS and other articles have noted, they've been shocked that there isn't one.
Furthermore, since I -think- a lot of his fanbase right now is us guys, who is more suited to test it than us?
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: August 27, 2010, 02:07:21 pm »

I think most people who will enjoy this game will be the ones who will find the bugs hilarious and endearing, indeed, part of the DF mentality

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: August 27, 2010, 02:15:03 pm »

"He blew up when I bit him.... AWESOME!" :D
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Redd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: August 27, 2010, 02:16:09 pm »

:o

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: August 27, 2010, 02:16:36 pm »

I'm surprised the dude hasn't posted in this thread yet.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: August 27, 2010, 02:20:14 pm »

He did, couple of times.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: August 27, 2010, 02:21:03 pm »

I totally like your idea of "getting new derangements that have to be met to get 'credit' for the kill".
But i don't like the idea of getting better at stalking and combat and leveling what so ever. Maybe you can get better at dismembering of the body, but you don't get better in combat after one fight or don't get more agile after you sneak in someones backyard. I would keep this away from standard fantasy "get powerful" roguelike.

You do. There's a reason sparring is such a major part of most martial arts, your body needs practice to iron out the little details. Nothing says practice like a real life or death struggle against a opponent victim. Of course, we don't want to see something like Final Fantasy, where beating up 50 wolves makes you level up. But learning how to best break bones with a blunt weapon, or how to sneak past your average person by hiding in the shadows or behind walls/doors, or which grip suits you best on a knife for a killing blow from a few fake-world fights is fairly realistic.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to this. Psychoses are fascinating imo, and it will be interesting to see how realistic this game turns out to be.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

memy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: August 27, 2010, 02:21:21 pm »

I'm surprised the dude hasn't posted in this thread yet.
Wow, way to read all 62 pages  >:(
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 73