Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38

Author Topic: Arma 2 + Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead  (Read 50026 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Arma 2 + Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead
« on: September 10, 2010, 07:17:32 pm »

The ultimate military sim, or so everyone says, to date. Its one of the most atmospheric, cinematic, unlucky, unfair, downright stupid and best FPS there is out there.

You play as a soldier, a soldier who like every other soldier, if they had unlimited lives, would die constantly over and over and over and over again. This soldier is your viewpoint in the world, sometimes you get to see him in 3rd person if you so choose, but on the servers I like to visit there is none of that nonsense 3rd person unrealismistic combat. You have just your eyes and ears to see this world, and goddamn is it a beautiful world at that.

Take a 10x10km map, populate it with an enemy army all doing their own thing, working as a cohesive unit and gunning to take you down out of their skies with their ungodly accuracy at firing shilkas. Some of the best experiences of my gaming life have come from this game and its company (Bohemia interactive). From hot-LZ landings under enemy triple-A fire, being lucky that the pilot had enough flares to dodge death 120 times in a 2 minute journey sadly not having enough stock for the return trip. To riding in a tank platoon over the desert clashing head on with another unstoppable force charging at us. This game has it all, you can be a foot soldier, tank gunner, chopper pilot, Apache gunner, artillery observer, mechanic, medic and a whole load more.

This game is great by yourself, but even better when playing with your friends or a bunch of other people. The squad AI needs some serious sorting out (you're pretty much left in charge of them and control everything they do, and by everything I mean absolutely everything.) There's no simple way of getting anything done when you have AI squaddies to look after. So I highly suggest you play it with friends.

Anyway, if you already have the game it'd be great to play it with you. If you don't I suggest you download the demo (on Steam I believe) and check it out.

Also the PC blog Rock Paper Shotgun has a server currently, but its due to go offline early Sunday morning. They're having a send off party of sorts for folks on Saturday at 8pm GMT I think.

Anyhoo, stories from this game are great, do you have any to share?

I'll try to get some pics up at some point from my experiences.

Edit: RPS link for pass on the day
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 07:22:45 pm by Nilocy »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Arma 2 + Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 07:24:02 pm »

The voices killed it for me.  I can understand bad voice acting, but this had the worst stitched-together voices I have EVER heard.  The earliest SNES Madden Football games had better-stitched-together voices than this.  It's like every single word in any one sentence is spoken by a DIFFERENT VOICE ACTOR.

Completely annihilated the atmosphere for me.  Couldn't play it.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 07:28:47 pm »

The voices killed it for me.  I can understand bad voice acting, but this had the worst stitched-together voices I have EVER heard.  The earliest SNES Madden Football games had better-stitched-together voices than this.  It's like every single word in any one sentence is spoken by a DIFFERENT VOICE ACTOR.

Completely annihilated the atmosphere for me.  Couldn't play it.

Heh yeah, that isn't exactly a game killer but I do understand that its pretty crazy. But try it multiplayer, you never notice them.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 07:38:00 pm »

Some people are wild for graphics.  For me, bad sounds are the real experience-killer.  It makes me pretty out-of-the-ordinary, but I seriously can't play it because of the terrible voice.  I'm weird like that.

I was also a little nonplussed at how hard I got killed during the tutorial in the demo.

I agree that it's a totally awesome looking game in concept though!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 08:17:20 pm »

I have ARMAII but not the expansion. I played and enjoyed the original operation flashpoint, liked to make cutscenes with it. Getting online is something I've not done yet, I keep meaning to.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 01:59:53 am »

Fuck. You hate the voice acting? Play multiplayer. Play with my boys at Tactical Gamer.

http://www.youtube.com/v/NpIQ9mNwKeA?fs=1&hl=en_US

And yes. You will get killed hard.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 02:12:57 am »

Disable the voices if you hate them so much. Seriously guys...? Alternatively: ACE mod

Operation Flashpoint is just an awesome game/series, I really wish I could go to the event (RPS event) but apparently we have plans that day. Maybe if I get back and they're still playing I'll join, in but...

Well, if that fails, the people at TG play a bunch, unfortunately the activity has seemed to die down after school has started. They still hold sunday events, which i have never been to, but can get... what, 50 or so players all cooperating on the same server?

EDIT: Also, ACE mod makes this game infinitely more awesome.

EDIT2: If anything you should complain bout the HDR which makes it so everything is really dark if there's 1 pixel of the sky on your screen, and otherwise everything is super bright and hurts your eyes. I have to use a mod to manually adjust it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 03:23:00 am by OzyTheSage »

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 07:31:49 am »

ACE mod is awesome, also I'll try to pop into the TG server, I've been there a coupla' times before.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 01:10:01 pm »

Alright, looks like I made it back in time to join the RPS event. Now I just gotta wait for the password to be posted....

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 01:46:42 pm »

I'll be posting pictures of tonights adventures

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/C.Moncrieff/Arma2OA?feat=directlink
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 05:07:53 pm by Nilocy »

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 07:22:05 pm »

No offense, but most of those images look like "HEY LOOK, A DESERT!"
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 07:29:41 pm »

People wanted a desert, so they got one. I much prefer Chernarus myself, but everybody wanted a #$&%@ desert so that's what we got...

At least it's not as bad as the desert maps for ARMA 1, these actually have some green in places.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 07:51:20 pm »

No offense, but most of those images look like "HEY LOOK, A DESERT!"

Well, that's cause we were playing on a desert map...

Anyway, these pictures did the game we had no justice. I was part of the engineer team keeping the side moving, we had some truly awesome moments such as:
"YES! I HIT HIM! Oh shit! He's flying straight towards me! AHHHH!" As the helicopter wreck smashes onto the mountain where we had our stole ZU's (AA guns) parked, the chopper landed about 7 metres away from my squad leader :D

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 10:06:56 pm »

I only have ArmA II but it is still heaps of fun. Too bad im too young to join a squad though, I had heaps of fun until the squad I was in found out I wasn't 18.

Im planing to get OA though when I have enough money.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 10:12:55 pm »

Which is better? Arma 2 or Operation Arrowhead?
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38