Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: The Venture Bros [Season 5 premieres January 2013]  (Read 5954 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
The Venture Bros [Season 5 premieres January 2013]
« on: September 12, 2010, 05:55:46 pm »

New episode starts today, time to get our shit on.

Wiki/Trope

For those of you that have never watched Adult Swim this is my favorite original they have produced.  Venture Bros is a deconstruction of the Johny Quest show, which I have never seen, but this show is hilarious either way.

Venture Bros main characters are Doctor Venture, his two sons (Dean and Hank Venture), and their body guard Brock Samson (voiced by The Patrick Warburton) and each episode usually details their single episode adventures, at least in the beginning.  Their main villain is the highly inefficient Evil Monarch with his butterfly suited henchmen.  The show starts off pretty unsophisticated and separated, but as it continues into Season 3 and onward there were even more over arching plot thrown into the mix.  You know, blah blah blah.

I would highly recommend watching, I've seen all the episodes so far and now the second half of Season 4 is going to premier TODAY at 11:30pm EST.

Anybody else going to be watching?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 12:55:14 am by ToonyMan »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Venture Bros
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 06:30:10 pm »

I get the numbers mixed up, but I was shocked as hell when henchmen # whatever ended up
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And then his buddy got
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 06:33:48 pm »

#21 is the fat one, #24 is the skinny, tallier one.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 06:41:57 pm »

#21 is the fat one, #24 is the skinny, tallier one.

And to see where they are now (well #21 at least) brings tears to my eyes.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 06:44:16 pm »

The last season (or half-season, whatever you want to call it) was kind of a mixed bag for me. On one hand, some episodes were pretty great and the directions they're taking with some characters are interesting (Dean overdosing on progressive rock), but on the other hand, two or three other episodes seemed devoted to halfassedly cutting short dangling plot threads (Phantom Limb, ORB, Triana, I forget what else). I trust they'll get things running a bit more smoothly this time around.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 06:46:11 pm »

Oh shit, that's today? *glee*
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 07:01:25 pm »

They said they're laying off Sargent Hatred threads. Thank god. He's a funny side character, but an overly loud recovering pedophile bodyguard does not make for multiple shows worth of material. I kind of miss old Brock too. I thought he was funnier when he everything he said was understated. The new, wide-eyed Brock Sampson isn't quite the same.

Love the New Hank though. He may be my favorite character in the end.

(And seriously, what is their hang up with Man/Boy Love? There's been how many episodes that revolve around it? Does any show go by without at least one prepubescent sexual reference? I love the show, but there's always been a little something....off about that.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 07:11:16 pm »

Yeah, I like Sgt Hatred a lot, I don't know why a lot of people have hatred for him.

New Hank is awesome as well, I can't really go back to old seasons now.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 07:19:08 pm »

I used to watch The Venture Bros before I really understood it and I still loved it. Good show all around and it stayed good through the later seasons. You typically don't see that with shows like this.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 07:32:21 pm »

Yeah, I like Sgt Hatred a lot, I don't know why a lot of people have hatred for him.

It might have had something to do with an entire season of "PRINCESS TINYFEET! *sob* WWHHHHHYYYYY DID YOU LEAVE ME?!!?! *sob*" Between that and the non-stop homosexual pedophilia, yeah, it's a mystery why anyone doesn't like Sgt. Hatred as a character.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 08:22:10 pm »

He's not really a bad character, but they rely on the same two or three jokes with him. They could do a lot more with the character.

My problem with the pedophilia jokes (aside from their overuse) is that they go a bit overboard. Seriously, the guy seems to get turned on by infants, and wasn't there something in past episodes about him molesting one/both of the Venture brothers? Kind of hard to make him very sympathetic after that.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 08:26:10 pm »

I have some sympathy for him because of the few times that he's been presented as a man with serious involuntary mental issues.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 08:34:20 pm »

My problem with the pedophilia jokes (aside from their overuse) is that they go a bit overboard. Seriously, the guy seems to get turned on by infants, and wasn't there something in past episodes about him molesting one/both of the Venture brothers? Kind of hard to make him very sympathetic after that.

Have you ever watched some of the panels with the Venture Bros. guys from like, Comic Con? Couple of them seem normal, but Captain whatever....yeah. The dude has a great sense of humor, but between the fact he voices Dr. Girlfriend, and a lot of the pedo jokes seem to originate from him...I don't feel pity for Sgt. Hatred so much as he seems like a symbol for their intent not to let an offensive joke die after its initial humor has worn off. I mean, it's like they're on a mission to never let people forget about underage sex.

I shouldn't make that big of a deal of it, because it's a minor blip in an otherwise amazing show...but every time it comes up, I can't help but wonder how much of it is just a fascination with tasteless humor, and how much of it speaks to the shows creators themselves. There are all kinds of tasteless humor. Yet they routinely go back to that, boldly so. Where others might downplay it or at least phrase it a less blunt way, Sgt. Hatred literally screams "I like to diddle children!"

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 08:38:24 pm »

I honestly think Ned Impossible is worse, though. He's a one-joke character; he's essentially nothing but a grade-school "retard" joke shoehorned into an otherwise reasonably-intelligent show. I feel almost embarrassed watching episodes with him in it. I'm not easily-offended in the sense of political correctness (or else I wouldn't watch Adult Swim in the first place), but goddamn, there's a point where it just gets stupid/wrong.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 08:38:34 pm »

Have you ever watched some of the panels with the Venture Bros. guys from like, Comic Con? Couple of them seem normal, but Captain whatever....yeah. The dude has a great sense of humor, but between the fact he voices Dr. Girlfriend, and a lot of the pedo jokes seem to originate from him...I don't feel pity for Sgt. Hatred so much as he seems like a symbol for their intent not to let an offensive joke die after its initial humor has worn off. I mean, it's like they're on a mission to never let people forget about underage sex.

I shouldn't make that big of a deal of it, because it's a minor blip in an otherwise amazing show...but every time it comes up, I can't help but wonder how much of it is just a fascination with tasteless humor, and how much of it speaks to the shows creators themselves. There are all kinds of tasteless humor. Yet they routinely go back to that, boldly so. Where others might downplay it or at least phrase it a less blunt way, Sgt. Hatred literally screams "I like to diddle children!"

"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7