Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.14 Released  (Read 56303 times)

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.14 Released
« Reply #135 on: September 29, 2010, 08:15:34 am »

Incidentally I just started an unmodded .12 map, converted to .14 before embarking, and then started playing it in .14, and I'm getting the expected schedule of invaders (actually a bit brisk, ambush in the second year), so mods/no mods has nothing to do with this as far as I can tell.

You call that brisk?
I tend to get ambushes in the second season (or was that third?) prettymuch all the time.
But that may be related to my obsession with carving most of my forts in Obsidian.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 08:18:48 am by Naros »

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 29, 2010, 08:51:10 am »

Well, I've never had an ambush in the first year, and lots of forts that weren't ambushed until the third year, so yes I'd say an ambush in the second year is on the fast side.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #137 on: September 29, 2010, 10:36:41 am »

I can't seem to do the .12->.14 trick.  My worlds have no goblins listed in the civ screen, which I assume means they all died in world-gen.  Tried 20 times..only thing I edited in the raws was removing the clothes they wear.  Any thoughts?

Well, try with clothes. If that is still a problem, then you know at least it isn't your modding reducing their survivability.

Does clothing still provide significant armour bonus compared to naked? It did for a while at the start of 31.*?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 29, 2010, 12:08:24 pm »

Perhaps the lack of invasions has to do something with the complete lack of goblins in the world? The populations are listed in the legends, but if I take an adventurer to visit a dark tower, not only the tower is not there (as to be expected, I know the maps aren't done yet), but also no goblins spawn in the map. I was unable to locate even a single member of a goblin civilisation... and dwarves neither.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 29, 2010, 12:19:52 pm »

Does clothing still provide significant armour bonus compared to naked? It did for a while at the start of 31.*?

As far as I can tell, just wearing something keeps dwarves from being injured by a bunch of weak attacks. A macaque scratching a leather cover leg a dozen times is far less dangerous than it scratching an uncovered one.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 29, 2010, 04:29:30 pm »

Perhaps the lack of invasions has to do something with the complete lack of goblins in the world? The populations are listed in the legends, but if I take an adventurer to visit a dark tower, not only the tower is not there (as to be expected, I know the maps aren't done yet), but also no goblins spawn in the map. I was unable to locate even a single member of a goblin civilisation... and dwarves neither.

I've also noticed that the populations of .13/.14 tend to end up only 10-30% the size of populations in .12 worlds. If something is world gen is killing off goblins or preventing them from spawning, that could also be a logical cause of the lack of ambushes.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 29, 2010, 11:08:30 pm »

When a year passed in Fort mode, does a year pass across the World?  I've always wondered if other civilizations continue to evolve over time as your fort is evolving. 

Also, which world-gen file shows the goblin population?  The last few .12 worlds I've genned haven't shown any goblin #s in that file, though I see the goblins on the world map when looking for a place to embark upon.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 11:27:14 pm by Juason »

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 29, 2010, 11:17:45 pm »

While I always love to see new versions, I'm afraid .13 and .14 have been unplayable for me. Quite literally, I can't get the damn thing to start.

I keep getting "failed to start because application configuration is incorrect" error messages. Tried re-installing (well, deleting and redownloading, same dif) and no dice. It's the Windows SDL version if that helps.
This is an error message generated by one of the MSVC dlls.  It is looking for a .MANIFEST even though it shouldn't.  All of the older dll files are available as a seperate download.  I found my system only required "Microsoft.VC80.CRT.MANIFEST" to be added to the DF folder.

I'm having that same error and I want to play DF on my new(ish) computer. How would I go about adding that file?
You can download the older dll's and related files from here.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/old_dlls.zip
Unzip that wherever you like then copy the needed .MANIFEST files into your current DF folder; or you can just unzip all of the old dll files into your DF folder.

I am hoping that Toady figures out why it is looking for the older manifests.  I haven't found any dependency for those older dll's.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 30, 2010, 01:23:51 am »

Hurgh, I am running into a new problem now.  I am unable to save my game!  Auto-Seasonal saves work, but when I go to save upon exit, nothing happens.  Any idea what might be going on?  I tried cleaning out the save directory of everything except the one spot I am working on, but that didn't seem to work.   

alexxeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 30, 2010, 04:02:18 am »

I must say, Thank you. For what ever reason, the game is running faster on my computer. Instead of taking an hour to do world gen it takes minutes, and instead of minutes to load a save, it now takes seconds. Cheers mate.

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 30, 2010, 06:12:33 am »

Hurgh, I am running into a new problem now.  I am unable to save my game!  Auto-Seasonal saves work, but when I go to save upon exit, nothing happens.  Any idea what might be going on?  I tried cleaning out the save directory of everything except the one spot I am working on, but that didn't seem to work.

Are you using Windows 7 and did you 'install' DF to Program Files?
There's a lot of rights and virtualisation going on there.

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 30, 2010, 07:10:22 am »

I am using Win7 64-bit, but don't know what you mean by Installing it to Program files.  The folders are just scattered on my desktop for the time being.  I was not having this problem previously with .14 so it may have something to do with taking a .12 world, dropping it into my .14 save directory, converting it and then starting a new game.  Any ideas on how I might fix it?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 07:18:27 am by Juason »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 30, 2010, 08:05:03 am »

Are you running the df_savegame_updater.bat batch file to convert the save folder?

The... what?  This is quite literally the first time I've ever heard of such a file, or the need for one.  Is this something that's included in the Windows releases, or something that's supposed to be downloaded separately?  There's no such thing in the Linux releases, that's for sure:

Code: [Select]
~/df_linux$ find . -iname '*update*'
~/df_linux$

Not that a Windows batch file would work on Linux, but... y'know....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Uristoteles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 30, 2010, 08:30:44 am »

I am unable to save my game!  Auto-Seasonal saves work, but when I go to save upon exit, nothing happens.
...I was not having this problem previously with .14 so it may have something to do with taking a .12 world...

I had the same problem with a reclaimed .12 fortress, I thought this was caused by the reclaim function (which is buggy as I heared), but maybe it wasn't.
[saved my rl though, since I was forced to think about playing another season or not every now and then]
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 09:31:54 am by Uristoteles »

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 30, 2010, 12:28:22 pm »

While I always love to see new versions, I'm afraid .13 and .14 have been unplayable for me. Quite literally, I can't get the damn thing to start.

I keep getting "failed to start because application configuration is incorrect" error messages. Tried re-installing (well, deleting and redownloading, same dif) and no dice. It's the Windows SDL version if that helps.
This is an error message generated by one of the MSVC dlls.  It is looking for a .MANIFEST even though it shouldn't.  All of the older dll files are available as a seperate download.  I found my system only required "Microsoft.VC80.CRT.MANIFEST" to be added to the DF folder.

I'm having that same error and I want to play DF on my new(ish) computer. How would I go about adding that file?
You can download the older dll's and related files from here.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/old_dlls.zip
Unzip that wherever you like then copy the needed .MANIFEST files into your current DF folder; or you can just unzip all of the old dll files into your DF folder.

I am hoping that Toady figures out why it is looking for the older manifests.  I haven't found any dependency for those older dll's.

Worked like a charm. Can't wait to see how this computer plays DF! Hopefully I'll get above 40 FPS...
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11