Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 10995

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13567693 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #7530 on: April 10, 2012, 01:35:06 pm »

Truean, that just means that the expense is necessary, and your clients need means its justified.

Doesn't mean it isn't expensive, though.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7531 on: April 10, 2012, 02:15:31 pm »

Truean, that just means that the expense is necessary, and your clients need means its justified.

Client calls bitching about long distances charges, wants me to pay for it.... Suggests I get a 1 800 number.... So let me get this straight asshole.... Not only do you not want to be billed for time on the phone with me giving you legal advice, but you'd like me to pay your phone bill for the privilege of talking to you?

[Dead silence] I thought not.... Find yourself another attorney.

Thank you. Really. It's just inane dealing with people. I've seen them pay more to have their car fixed.... They'll pay that but they won't pay to deal with getting out of jail or fixing a legal problem on their house.... Really?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 02:18:42 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7532 on: April 10, 2012, 02:19:49 pm »

My dads a mechanic - trust me, any job where you're giving people bills in the triple digits or above, they aren't going to be happy paying you and will do a heck of a lot to get out of it, especially when (as in both fields) they aren't even paying for something they WANT.

They don't want to purchase criminal charges, they don't want to purchase a broken car, but paying to get RID of something is always way more painful than paying to GET something.

Remember, they aren't, if they are on the defense, actually /getting/ anything from you that they didn't already have before they needed you. Emotionally, that money is all going down the drain of no reward.

Anatoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7533 on: April 10, 2012, 02:29:12 pm »

"A man in China used unusual method to teach his nine year old daughter. In order to teach her fearlessness and bravery, he put her in a cage with two big wolves. Nevertheless, the kid was feeling pretty comfortable there, say the witnesses. The father says that the wolves posed no danger to the kid. He himself is a trainer by profession, and even holds a nursery where he breeds dogs and wolves."

Source: Exo Moskvi

Not exactly a WTF, as a "wow that reminds me of something I've seen on Bay 12".

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7534 on: April 10, 2012, 02:33:20 pm »

I pissed my pants laughing at the above post.

no joke. Goddammit i liked these jeans.
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7535 on: April 10, 2012, 02:34:59 pm »

Client calls bitching about long distances charges, wants me to pay for it.... Suggests I get a 1 800 number.... So let me get this straight asshole.... Not only do you not want to be billed for time on the phone with me giving you legal advice, but you'd like me to pay your phone bill for the privilege of talking to you?

Thank you. Really. It's just inane dealing with people. I've seen them pay more to have their car fixed.... They'll pay that but they won't pay to deal with getting out of jail or fixing a legal problem on their house.... Really?
people have issues paying for things immaterial.
10,000 for fixing my car? sure!

100 to keep my house? I already have my house! you is corrupt lawyer!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7536 on: April 10, 2012, 02:48:03 pm »

My dads a mechanic - trust me, any job where you're giving people bills in the triple digits or above, they aren't going to be happy paying you and will do a heck of a lot to get out of it, especially when (as in both fields) they aren't even paying for something they WANT.

They don't want to purchase criminal charges, they don't want to purchase a broken car, but paying to get RID of something is always way more painful than paying to GET something.

Remember, they aren't, if they are on the defense, actually /getting/ anything from you that they didn't already have before they needed you. Emotionally, that money is all going down the drain of no reward.

Emotionally yes, logically no. I thought being an adult was supposed to mean people started understanding that cars break down and need fixed. Basically that shit happens and needs to be fixed.
I dunno.

people have issues paying for things immaterial.
10,000 for fixing my car? sure!

100 to keep my house? I already have my house! you is corrupt lawyer!

Yeah, I guess that could be a part of it, but it's just kind of insane if you think about it. Just because something doesn't have a physical form doesn't mean it never needs looking after or that it will be somehow inherently simple and always function not only perfectly but exactly as you wish. This is especially true given the conflicting expectations people have about stuff. [shrugs]. Granted, you can be screwed over on something you can't see easier than something you can, but that doesn't mean it's all crap.

Houses especially, you're not just buying bricks or wood and nails and land. It's a whole host of complex shit.

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7537 on: April 10, 2012, 02:52:29 pm »

I thought being an adult was supposed to mean people started understanding

There's your mistake. Much like being a parent, being "an adult" does not come with a test or a certificate or license process. That shit just happens by default, regardless of your readiness for it.

Hence, quite a few "adults" who wouldn't pass the adult test if they had one. QUITE a few.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7538 on: April 10, 2012, 03:07:17 pm »

I thought being an adult was supposed to mean people started understanding

There's your mistake. Much like being a parent, being "an adult" does not come with a test or a certificate or license process. That shit just happens by default, regardless of your readiness for it.

Hence, quite a few "adults" who wouldn't pass the adult test if they had one. QUITE a few.

I stand corrected. I suppose between my generally immense jadedness and other factors I had been circling around this very idea for quite some time, but did not place it into words. I dunno; the notion of whining uselessly just seemed so ineffectual when my car's transmission blew out. Rather I tracked down a scrapyard, found a junker car of the same make model and year as mine, bought the whole wasted thing for peanuts, had a mechanic use the transmission in my car and keep all the other parts as payment + a couple hundred bucks. It was that or a few thousand I didn't have in law school. I dunno I'm a scrappy little scrounger.

You're right though. It's a real shame too, because somebody needs to have a class or something to make this crap not be the case. Same with parenting. [rant rant rant] :)

Also this: http://www.bekindtolawyers.com/page1.php

Really? [snickers] I have not seen this. :P
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 03:08:50 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7539 on: April 10, 2012, 09:15:54 pm »

In discussing my desire to obtain The Twilight Zone series, I would appear to have carelessly omitted the word Zone. They were most surprised at my strange new tastes in cinema, until I hastily corrected my mistake.

I feel unclean.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #7540 on: April 10, 2012, 09:26:28 pm »

Don't. It's a different taste in stories, as valid as any other.

Well. Except the blatant sexism and stereotyping and jesus fuck who thought "Renesmee" was a good name?

This post is not hypocritical in any way, I assure you >______>
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #7541 on: April 10, 2012, 09:39:43 pm »

Y'ever had the suspicion that Amazon enjoys suggesting items that you would never, ever buy, where you never recall searching for anything of the type?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7542 on: April 10, 2012, 09:40:58 pm »

Well. Except the blatant sexism and stereotyping and jesus fuck who thought "Renesmee" was a good name?

This post is not hypocritical in any way, I assure you >______>

Didn't it end up taking a rather 18th century view of the role of women in society? This is all second or third-hand information, but apparently it ended up with the female lead essentially being put on the pregnant-bus in terms of plot relevance, and then something about the crappy, shirtless werewolf falling in love with the newborn abomination or something?

ed

Y'ever had the suspicion that Amazon enjoys suggesting items that you would never, ever buy, where you never recall searching for anything of the type?

Yeah.

BAHAAHAHAHAAHAHA

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7543 on: April 10, 2012, 09:41:49 pm »

If that were all, I would agree, but they bear the species of a film for girls—why else is the werewolf fellow so very often without a shirt? Now, you may contest that, and you may say that there is no class of films that need be the exclusive property of either sex, and I would agree, but, though you may think it unreasoned, my revulsion at the idea I would be interested in a feminine film is very real and, as far as I am able to predict, my inseperable companion for many years to come.

This, combined with the consensus amongst my relatives that the Twilight movies are probably garbage, caused me some embarassment when I came to realize that I had boldly proclaimed a desire to watch them.

All of this being, of course, based upon what is seen in the trailers, as none of us has cared to know more.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7544 on: April 10, 2012, 09:42:38 pm »

Yeah.

When you see it, you'll shit bricks.
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 10995