Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287]

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 269827 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4290 on: December 04, 2019, 03:33:15 am »

It presumably makes more of a difference when the coffee is prepared like cowboys would've done, which at best uses an old-fashioned percolator and otherwise is just the grounds straight in with the water in the pot. Modern filters fill the same purpose, so adding eggshells to that is just going to be doubling up.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: December 04, 2019, 03:37:14 am »

Coffee filters are for wimps. (says the guy who rarely drinks coffee that isn't instant anyway)   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: December 04, 2019, 06:44:28 am »

It presumably makes more of a difference when the coffee is prepared like cowboys would've done, which at best uses an old-fashioned percolator and otherwise is just the grounds straight in with the water in the pot. Modern filters fill the same purpose, so adding eggshells to that is just going to be doubling up.

The one article I read said that the eggshells were alkaline, reducing the acidity of the coffee.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
I make games

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling modder, Adequate Thread Derailer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: December 04, 2019, 08:27:32 am »

The pores in the eggshell would be too small to be used as a filter.

Using it to reduce coffee's acidity is a possible explanation since eggshells are mostly made out of CaCO3 which is indeed used as a pH corrector.

The "cleaning the muddy" part makes me think that adding the eggshell causes the "mud" to coagulate, forming larger particles, that in turn causes the impurity to sink to the bottom of the pot. Depending on the nature of the "mud" that can happen either due to the aforementioned ph change or because the "mud" forms compounds with the eggshell. I would hazard a guess that your coffee has already been processed in a way that fixes whatever that technique aimed to fix.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: December 04, 2019, 09:59:06 am »

Well, winter finally reached me. It snapped down to 6 degrees today.

Anyone got any recipes for warm winter-time drinks? My go-to has been pine tea for a while but would like to change it up a bit.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: December 04, 2019, 10:06:52 am »

Irish coffee or mulled wine/mead if you're fine with boozy.

Mulled (American-style) cider if not.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: December 04, 2019, 10:09:50 am »

Cant go wrong with old fashioned hot chocolate.

3 special dark hershey kisses
1 tablespoon brown sugar
8 oz scalded milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 blasts of whipped cream (real stuff, not coolwhip.)

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 10:22:18 am by wierd »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling modder, Adequate Thread Derailer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: December 04, 2019, 10:19:05 am »

I have one but I don't have any exact amounts, it's a sort of put-as-much-as-you-want family recipe for scented tea.

Put a couple of dried figs, some cloves, a cinnamon stick, a piece of orange peel (with little to none of the white stuff) and a piece of ginger root in a pot, fill it with water and let them boil for 5-10 minutes. Use the water to brew some (black) tea with it.

I prefer it as is, but you can always put some honey or sugar in it.

edit: Speaking of mulled wines, you can always substitute the wine for raki or any similar drink, if you want something stronger. I'd presonally avoid the ones that are scented with anise though.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 10:28:59 am by Ulfarr »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • WHERE'S YOUR MOTIVATION!?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: December 04, 2019, 11:29:43 am »

Hot buttered rum.

1/2 rum of your choce.
1/2 boiling water.
Take a nice slab of butter and toss it on top, let it melt out.

It'll warm you right up.
Quote from: Rumi
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, and so I am changing myself.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: December 04, 2019, 01:18:10 pm »

Well, winter finally reached me. It snapped down to 6 degrees today.

Anyone got any recipes for warm winter-time drinks? My go-to has been pine tea for a while but would like to change it up a bit.

Mulled Sangria is good if you've got fresh fruit. Pour a whole bottle of sangria (or similar) into a pot and heat it up just below a simmer. Toss in a few sticks of cinnamon, a cut up orange, lime, whatever fruit. When it's hot, pour it in a glass with some brandy. If it's too dry, add a bit more fruit juice.

Also, Ibarra/Abuelita (or a good version) is good enough hot chocolate. Heat some cream (a bit less than the recipe recommends, and don't use lower-fat dairy unless you want to curdle it), break the chocolate up as best you can (it's thick) and get it to melt in the cream. Pour it in a glass with spiced rum.

And Irish punch is good for sore throats/excessive sobriety. Squeeze the juice out of a 1/4 lemon, add some whole cloves, and a little honey ("to taste"). Add a shot or two of decent whisky (doesn't need to be great; you're mixing it), fill the other half of the glass with nearly-boiling water.  Try not to drink the cloves, unless that's what you're into.
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • WHERE'S YOUR MOTIVATION!?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4300 on: December 04, 2019, 03:05:29 pm »

Mulled Red Wine, yeah. In Germany they call it "Gluhwein."

It will certainly warm you up.......but I found the hot wine coats the inside of your mouth until you can't taste anything but it.

Also after I had several cups of it in a night, I had a nasty hang over the next day. I don't know if it was just a regular wine hangover or what....but I feel like the act of heating it up actually makes it hit you harder/dehydrates you more, something.

So like a cup of it is ok but I would tread carefully after that. To this day I just remember how shit I felt the next morning.
Quote from: Rumi
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, and so I am changing myself.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead Postocalypse lies dreaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4301 on: December 04, 2019, 03:38:00 pm »

Makin peetza in me bigass toaster oven
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4302 on: December 04, 2019, 06:08:39 pm »

Makin peetza in me bigass toaster oven

I've been craving pizza again. Lactose intolerance sucks (but at least is less bad than an allergy). That's the only thing I can think of that a cast iron pan does better than a regular pan.

Someone make this Spinach Artichoke Dip Deep Dish Pizza and tell me how good it tastes:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4303 on: December 05, 2019, 05:31:42 pm »

"You don't need a rice cooker to cook rice; you can just make it in a pot"

You don't need shoes to go for a morning jog, but it sure makes things easier.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #4304 on: December 05, 2019, 05:53:35 pm »

Meanwhile I'm all "You don't need a pot to cook pasta/veggies/meat, you can just make it in a rice cooker."
Usually alongside some rice, but not always...  It's just a hot plate with a temperature switch for when the water's depleted.  Heck, if you don't clean the vent it starts to resemble a pressure cooker (;
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287]