Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115]

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 98675 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #1710 on: January 18, 2021, 08:18:53 am »

Why did he do it lads? Why would he go back to Russia?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: January 18, 2021, 08:31:59 am »

Tbh that puzzles me too.  It's not that he's afraid of prison time, he has been there before.  But does he have a death wish?
I am kinda expecting to read a 'Navalny dies of corona' headline sometime soon.

EDIT: the reason for his arrest is stupid though.  Failing to show up for a probation check.  Duh.. He was in hospital recovering from nerve toxin poisoning.

Not to mention his conviction has been declared unlawful by the European Court for Human Rights. They concluded it was an unfair trial.
So far, Russia has ignored that verdict.

Perhaps that is what Navalny's counting on, considering Russia has ratified the ECHR.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 08:40:21 am by martinuzz »
Optimists have just used up the last bit of hope. Run for your lives!

Enjoy the freedom to explore the limits of your constraints

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: January 18, 2021, 08:35:14 am »

Just plain delusion/martyr complex, IMO. Alternatively, the German intelligence service ordered him to face the music or else.

By the way, don't let all the libs heralding Navalny as some color revolution hero to take down Putin get you twisted. This is still the guy who calls minorities "cockroaches".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: January 18, 2021, 08:48:01 am »

By the way, don't let all the libs heralding Navalny as some color revolution hero to take down Putin get you twisted. This is still the guy who calls minorities "cockroaches".

Sadly, that's just the Russian word for minorty /s

If not being racist is to be a criterium for opposition worth supporting over Putin, change will never come.  One step at a time.

EDIT: not saying that all Russians are racist.  But if you want to be a serious candidate for opposition in Russia you need popular support. Openly opposing racism, or advocating things like welcoming african refugees will not get you that popular support.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 08:52:24 am by martinuzz »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: January 18, 2021, 08:50:57 am »

Messiah complex? Because he could have an 'accident' anywhere he went, but relies on a(nother) home-turf attempt being too awkward and not so easily dismissed as pure coincidence/unrelated factors? He's convinced the wind of change that are coming will insulate him better if he is seen going back into the eye of the storm?

These (and other) reasons might be why they immediately took him into custody. Any gap would have made the optics even better for him. A bigger saviour or a more holy martyr. A simple and actual road accident would immediately/irrevocably be blamed on them. As a figurehead, they have to consider whether he's potentially a Mandela (many years away from power) or a Guevara (causing occasional trouble now), etc, and how to manage internal and international expectations.

I'm not saying he won't be made to suffer, in custody, mentally or physically, but on balance he possibly made the decision to return (expecting this) rather than forever be dreading the next thing on from umbrella-pellets and perfume-with-a-kick. Whether it was a correct calculation, who can tell. Yet. Some well known names got through worse to become the revolutionary (in one or more of that word's meanings) leader of causes and then countries. ((Though many many more potential ones did not, I'll allow, with varying degrees of staying in/returning to obscurity.))

...Ninjaed x3, while crafting this message, so some obvious repetition.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1715 on: January 19, 2021, 03:41:21 am »

So Putin is creating a perverse incentive for dissidents to commit to dissididencening because they've got nothing to lose? I suppose this is why Machiavelli says if you're gonna be nefarious do it all on one day and stop. Indiscriminate mafia killing has a tendency to make people angry, shocking surprise

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: January 21, 2021, 08:12:54 pm »

Just plain delusion/martyr complex, IMO. Alternatively, the German intelligence service ordered him to face the music or else.

Sure, Navalny is not a liberal. His criticism of Putin's regime is focused on corruption. He says almost nothing about the Russian foreign policy or the human rights situation. Don't expect non-imperialist and liberal Russia if, by some miracle, Navanly will get on top.

Saying that, he does undermine Putin's power. To illustrate, the last video on Navalny's youtube channel got 52 millions views and 1 million comments in 2.5 days (It is about Putin's largest palace and it has English subtitles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipAnwilMncI&t)

Paying some attention to the Russian segment of TikTok, I can say that Russia has MANY teenagers who are sick of the men who was in power for all their life. They care not about the cult of The Great Patriotic War, they aren't going to Orthodox Churches and, they have no nostalgia for the Good Old USSR.

They may be too young to bring changes now, but, IMO, Russia is far less stable than it may seem to be.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

wotta palace

I always wondered what's the point of it all though. Why grift your country out of billions to have ultra luxury? Same question for Malaysia too. Even if you're going to be a grifty bastard why don't you just grift a few million like American politicians do, you're never going to be out of comfort anyways

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

wotta palace

I always wondered what's the point of it all though. Why grift your country out of billions to have ultra luxury? Same question for Malaysia too. Even if you're going to be a grifty bastard why don't you just grift a few million like American politicians do, you're never going to be out of comfort anyways

Answer - those people have some yet to be named mental disorder.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115]