Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fighting Thread - Martial Arts and Other General Forms Of Fisticuffs  (Read 285 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting Thread - Martial Arts and Other General Forms Of Fisticuffs
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2019, 01:20:18 pm »

I do Jiu Jitsu. Only been doing it since September, and only during term times since it's a university club, but it's fun, which given I generally hate exercise is nice.

One of the things I like about it is that unlike some other martial arts, the throws are taught from someone attempting an attack as opposed to being from a grip (Judo's the biggest culprit of this one so far as I can tell) which makes it a bit more realistic. I'd still not want to fight anyone that's learned Judo (or anyone, really), I suspect they'd be better at throws than me, but it's less realistic to start from a Judo grip.
Yeah, a big part of that is that judo's very much a sport-based discipline, or at least that's how it's taught in a lot of clubs. Competition-focused and such - the main test of the techniques comes from when you're in a tournament and being grabbed in a judo grip, so that's how the instruction is structured as well. Jiu jitsu does tend to be more self-defense oriented, at least some of the other styles than BJJ (though honestly this is all massive generalization on my part, any style can be taught with any degree of sport vs actual combat focus, it all depends on the school and instructor), since it's where Judo originated from in the first place - Jigoro Kano just altered his style to remove the stuff that wasn't safe for a sportive sort of style.

Speaking as a karateka with some minor amount of judo/jiu jitsu experience, though, it isn't really that hard to learn a throw from a grip and then adapt it into initiating it off of a punch or something - it really just adds one extra step, from 1. grab 2. throw to 1. deflect/parry/counter attack 2. grab 3. throw.

...speaking generally, of course.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

Actual technical question! I'm absurdly right-dominant, something that has only been made worse by fencing. It's not normally an issue, but my left-side blocks are noticeably weaker than my right blocks, and my kicks are just weird because I balance better when kicking with my left, but kick harder with my right.

Other than doing more left side drills, is there anything in particular you guys recommend for training that out? Most of what I do is bodyweight, and I'm not strong enough to do left-arm exercises. I've got a pair of light (1.5kg) dumbells too.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Tu jee, veerey / Toofano se lad ke [Fight, brave one / Fight those internal storms and]
Tu jeet, veerey / Zakhmo se bhid kar bhi tu [Win, brave one / Weather those wounds and]
Firse uthega yaara [Rise once again]

Mel lives again! Fight monsters; fight crime; fight compound interest...

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do even more left-side drills.

The thing about it is that ambidexterity can only really be taught by constantly doing stuff with your non-dominant hand/side. I'd imagine it's to do with the way your brain forges skill-related paths.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Just looking for general strength increase on that side? Honestly, the simplest way to do it is just to drill the hell out of your techniques on that side, since Iíd wager a big part of that weakness isnít necessarily muscle difference so much as your bodyís more used to efficiently transferring force with your right side rather than your left. Of course, that does take a while to balance out, but itís the most effective way IMO. Other than that ... well, TKD and you mentioned kicks specifically so I imagine kicks are a big part of what youíre talking about, so balance drills and stuff where you have to shift your body weight to one leg and then another are always nice. Uh... I suppose if you decide to do weights you could increase your left side reps by like 1.5x, but Iíd consult the Get Fit thread about that - I know pretty much zilch about weights myself.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 [2]