Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Danger Room Design  (Read 6416 times)

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Danger Room Design
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 08:05:49 am »

once they're all in full armor with a few cloaks high quality spears don't make too big a difference.
I have 2 rooms right now.
the first is for new squads, made up of 3 spear traps with 1 low level spear in each.
the second has 3 spear traps with 10 higher quality spears in each.

once they've trained in the first for a while they go into the second to train faster.

then only problem is how many babies get killed by the spears.... so so many dead babies.

the loss of cats I don't mind, in fact that's a bonus to me.

I keep the rooms small because there's nothing dwarves like more than to be in a big pile with many other dwarves which avoids tantrums from dead pets and children.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 01:30:59 am »

These are nice ideas but...
   we can still push the boundaries of !!SCIENCE!!  8)

I use the following plan regularly (aka. all the time) and it has never failed yet.
After making my first large scale, large time, mega engraved danger-room I thought there has to be a better way.
This is what I thought up of. (And yes, i confirm quality spears cause problems)

#######           #####
#L #|DW# -OR-  L#|DW#
##D####           D####

- # = Wall
 - L = Lever
 - D = Door
 - W = Weapon Rack/Armor stand/etc
 -  | = Upright Spikes

Its super efficient and super cheap. The lever is connected to the spikes (10 tower-cap spears), the outer door is no-pets (to avoid cat-splotion! Or not...), the inner door is internal, no-pets and forbidden. Finally the barracks is made. Because only the tile w/ the spikes is accessible, dwarfs will never dodge to "safe" squares, 'cause there are none! I will also not that this does NOT stop dwarfs training dodge, if anything it is faster because they are always "under attack". Also this is super cheap w/ only,

2x doors
10x no-quality wood spears
3x mechanisms
1x armorstand (what I use)

PS - I like to import 10 tower-cap spears because A: Its dwarfy B: No issues with no-quality carpenters!
PPS - This is my first post w00t!  :D
   I've been lurking since the 40d days but with the resent dev-log, I couldn't wait any longer!
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Larry421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 03:30:36 am »

Just the one trap? How do you fit more than one dwarf in there?

eue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 07:07:15 am »

Well, I guess you can make more than one of these "individual" danger rooms. The lever should be reused between them, though.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010, 02:45:49 am »

Easy! I have had two squads (3 in one, 10 in other) simultaneously sparing, doing a dodging demonstration (no joke) and individual drill in the past. I like to think that these dwarfs are SOOOOO ridiculously legendary, the whole 10 dwarf spear-squad can lead a dodging demo, swing their spears around and still not interrupt squad #1's sparring! WHILE only in 1m2!

Yea, I guess it IS ridiculously bizarre, but this IS Dwarf Fortress.  ;D

I've no idea where the quote is (something about stalactite-based-vacuum) but it went like...
... This is the game where you can have 8000 dragons on the same tile, as long as 7999 dragons are laying down ...

Larry421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 08:45:18 pm »

So I just built this design next to my big room, and it seems to work.

Until I lock the internal door, and no one starts any new drills. I have to unlock the door, wait til a few people are on their way, then lock it before they get in.
Is this how yours works?

Oxinabox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2010, 12:18:16 am »

A design I want to try out is:

looking from the side:
#W   |D
##|^## This Layer is filled with water

- # = Wall
 - L = Lever
 - D = Door
 - W = Weapon Rack/Armor stand/etc
 -  | = Upright Spikes
 - ^ =upaward ramp

So when they dodge they end up in water (training their swim=endurance)
The ramp is the only safe tile

I beleive a whole sqard can fit on one square, which saves effort (it takes dwarf years to get a 5x5 room full trapped up,)

I'm no expert and have only tried a plan 5x5, (which kill off my 2 best warriors' dozen odd cats...)

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2010, 04:09:42 am »

If you want a good no-hassle danger room with a minimum of injuries, build 1 training spear per trap and set them to a pressure plate (or multiple pressure plates) located in a well-used hallway.  Don't worry about the kids - other dwarves will have the babies eventually, and as long as you have really nice weapon racks, dining rooms, and a nice statue garden or two, it'll just make your dwarves used to tragedy that much faster.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 01:41:43 am »

So I just built this design next to my big room, and it seems to work.

Until I lock the internal door, and no one starts any new drills. I have to unlock the door, wait til a few people are on their way, then lock it before they get in.
Is this how yours works?
Hmm, thats weird, mine works perfectly fine.
If you want a good no-hassle danger room with a minimum of injuries, build 1 training spear per trap and set them to a pressure plate (or multiple pressure plates) located in a well-used hallway.  Don't worry about the kids - other dwarves will have the babies eventually, and as long as you have really nice weapon racks, dining rooms, and a nice statue garden or two, it'll just make your dwarves used to tragedy that much faster.
Yea, I've never had any trouble with 10 spears per trap, just trains them 10x faster! But each to his own or somewhat.
I guess its just a matter of how quickly you want kittens to explode. One hit does it for me.  ;D

oso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 08:59:52 am »

While thinking about danger rooms with dull wooden poles shooting up from the ground.

Also, females in the military is a bad idea with danger rooms

ಠ_ಠ

unless you're trying to cut down on the number of babies.

ಠ_ಠ  !!

OOOH! Cause they'll carry the babies in with them... RIGHT!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 09:44:36 am by oso »

Pagan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 12:45:12 pm »

My entrances always lead down to level 1, danger rooms/barracks/armoury, and there are always two danger rooms. One is advanced, one is for training, one has 10 spears per trap and the other just 1. Both sets are linked to the same lever though.

The basic design is something like this:

XXXXXXXX
+^^W^^X
XXXXXXXX

Gives space to jump around and space for 4 dwarf squads. Also, the reason why I have a beginner room and and advanced room is from losing my fav AxeDwarf to an overzealous danger room. And I like using the lever cause its a nice way to punish dwarfs too, and an easy way to occupy a dwarf thats doing nothing.
My gf thinks sex will stop me from playing dwarf fortress.
Little does she know that will never work, a beard doesnt look good on her.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010, 01:44:53 pm »

You don't need a big danger room, I do 3x3 and it works fine.

As for the repeater, I just set up a lever in the dining hall and have someone useless go to town on it.

Also, for my first room, I used wooden spikes, not spears.

That was a bad idea.
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.
Pages: 1 [2]