Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need a hint - Sedimentary stone layers  (Read 6261 times)

AlBravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need a hint - Sedimentary stone layers
« on: October 30, 2010, 08:48:37 pm »

My 1st fortress.  I'm surveying for Bituminous coal.  Without spoiling it for me, what is a good way to find a sedimentary stone layer?

Just pan around the map (dwarf Landsat) surface layers looking for: hematite, limonite, magnetite, tetrahedrite, bituminous coal, lignite, and gypsum, chalk*, chert, claystone, conglomerate, dolomite*, limestone*, mudstone, rock salt, sandstone, siltstone and shale?  And dig exploratory shafts looking for same?
Ancient Avatar

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Need a hint - Sedimentary stone layers
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 09:00:23 pm »

When coosing your embark you will be shown a list of the stone layers on the right side, sedimentary layers are shown in white.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 09:27:14 pm »

And, as one would expect, you basically don't find sedimentary rock below metamorphic or igneous.  So if it's not immediately below the soil, you probably don't have any in that biome.

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 12:08:03 am »

Magnetite only appears in sedimentary layers, so you have a sedimentary layer.  Look for coal within and around magnetite clusters.
You'd think handing out the crossbows to brain damaged dwarfs would be a bad idea but it isn't

Save the catgirls!

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 01:49:40 am »

My 1st fortress.  I'm surveying for Bituminous coal.  Without spoiling it for me, what is a good way to find a sedimentary stone layer?

Just pan around the map (dwarf Landsat) surface layers looking for: hematite, limonite, magnetite, tetrahedrite, bituminous coal, lignite, and gypsum, chalk*, chert, claystone, conglomerate, dolomite*, limestone*, mudstone, rock salt, sandstone, siltstone and shale?  And dig exploratory shafts looking for same?

Pretty much.  If it's not right below soil layers, you don't have any.  Pay attention during embark to which layers are where (and which parts of the map each biome covers).  Sedimentary layers are in white and you pretty much always want to have one for coal & flux (though marble can also be used as flux).  Also have to be careful if only one square of your embark has sedimentary stone:  there might be just a tiny bit in the corner which doesn't do you much good.

If you use Mayday graphics, it's really easy to spot the flames on unmined coal/lignite.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.