Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do Chances of a Mood... depends on skill level...?  (Read 2225 times)

Corew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do Chances of a Mood... depends on skill level...?
« on: November 01, 2010, 10:13:51 am »

Ok i ve tried unsucesfully to quickly get a Armorsmith Mood for some time now, in several different forts. This is not complaining but trying to find some of the hidden stuff - why this is happening ?- in my moods  :P

My first 7 dwarves mood skills have been: Weaponsmith, Armorsmith, Mason, Miner, Clothier, Carpenter and Mechanic, all of these are of course proficient or more when my first mood pops. I prepared a normal forge, till i got magma, then replaced it. So i just have had 1 most of the time.
About Migrants... i try to give them asap a single work of Armorsmith (a shield), unless they have another high moodable skill of course.
I got now 27 bismuth bronze shields, taking into account my current populace is 60. So.. 50% of my Non-Heavy Metal band should desire a metal mood... 28 armor, 1 weapon, 1 metalcraft, 1 metalsmith.

Ok 6 artifacts so far... and the skill level at the moment the mood pops.
Clothier (dwarf was clothier proficient or more+)
Engraver (talented +)
Glassmaker (high master+)
Carpenter (accomplished+)
Gem cutter (Talented +)
Carpenter (Legendary) so uber legendary now :D

So...My conclusion is ... since some moment in 31.xx moods are more probable if you are more skilled.
But.. even so... i have 4 reasonably skilled metal guys, 2 of them since the start.
When i had 22 dwarves, 3 of them were metals, and about  half Dabbling Armor.. that should pop a 30% chance or more !
So I believe also metal (perhaps specially armor) is infraponderated in chance of moods.

Some idea?

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do Chances of a Mood... depends on skill level...?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 10:23:00 am »

Some jobs have a higher chance to mood then others.
Also, if a dwarf moods, it takes the highest skill of him/her, and moods in that one.

But I guess you just had bad luck.

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 10:31:29 am »

Once I had a legendary Armorer AND a legendary Weaponsmith in the same fortress. Sadly even their finest masterworks couldn't defend against FPS-death.

But seriously, I always take these skills for two of my starting dwarves in the hope of a fey mood.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

Corew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 10:33:58 am »

Nah im pretty sure its not luck now. I ve tested in 4 or 5 different forts by now, always same happens. Metal moods finally pops, but usually very late... Perhaps mood chance for armorsmith has been lowered a lot now, considering magma and steel are a lot easier to get now en masse.
When i played 40d, chance of a mood pop were something like this:
Metal Chance x21
Some (a few) professions x12
Most x6
... so when half of the dwarves were dabbling armorsmiths, chances were around 70% of a metal mood... It usually worked for me, perhaps not the first... but by the 3rd or 4th mood i had usually my nice armorsmith.... without magma tho.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 10:41:39 am »

(deleted)
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

LoveMachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 11:08:18 am »

Would you prefer to have 2?

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 11:11:22 am »

I'm not getting the same kind of stats at all- I get quite a few kid moods, where the kid has no skill until it's finished. Same with completely unrelated professions getting moods in skills they don't have.

LoveMachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 11:17:06 am »

The legendary armourer Zaneg in my last post was an immigrant with no armouring skill when he mooded.  He had furnace operating and metal crafter - I assume furnace operating was higher or he would have become a metalcrafter?

EDIT: Er, I just used DwarfTherapist for the first time to see if there's a way to look back at a dwarf's history and check this, and I noticed that both of these guys are Legendary +5.  I always thought an artifact only brought them to +0 and you had to train the rest :\

And what Corew says below is probably right, he must have been listed as a metalcrafter and had armourer at the same level when he arrived and I didn't notice.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 12:22:19 pm by LoveMachine »

Corew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 12:16:02 pm »

yes... Eventually some dwarf without any moodable skill gets a mood and claims a craftsdwarf shop, including kids... they turn into bonecarvers, stonecrafters or some other unuseful skill.

Most farming, hunter and a lot other skills are not moodable, check the wiki for a complete list...

I dont believe Furnace operator is a moodable skill... so dont know about how that Metalcrafter turning into Armorsmith. I remember some dwarf marked as a (Metalsmith or Metalcrafter not sure?), having different levels of armorsmith, weaponsmith, metalsmith and metalcrafter...

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 12:42:37 pm »

Furnace operating is the only smithy job that doesn't get a mood while tanning is the only farmy job that does get a mood. Woodcutting also doesn't mood.

You pretty much get some wood/stone/bone crafter if they were skill-less, like every friggin child that keeps mooding for me.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 01:03:57 pm »

One thing that can help is setting ALL your low-skill dwarves to have weaponsmithing, cranking out some piece of junk menacing steel spear for a trap somewhere, then shutting them out of weaponsmithing as they gain experience.

If weaponsmithing is their only moodable skill, it'll also be the highest...

Corew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 01:13:38 pm »

Yay while this is goin on my yet legendary mayor decided to mood (of course not armorsmith) just when the first time a human diplomat appeared... Anyway...Who cares?

And 3 more dabbling armorsmiths ready to mood... Only 2 or 3 remain without moodable skill. Now 35 of the 60 have a moodable metal skill, mostly armorsmith...

I also decided to add a non-magma forge in case it has some effect...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 01:15:18 pm by Corew »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 02:14:25 pm »

I may be able to test this out, luck willing. My fortress is going into second generation, and I'm apprenticing the kids where I hope to see legendaries. Some of them are getting across-the-board experience in their fields, some are getting more specific jobs. It's still early in the experiment, and none of them have mooded yet.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 02:50:00 pm »

I had my chief medical dwarve get a mood where he made an artifact mechanism (which was something I had never seen before)
I may have set him to be a mechanic prior to the mood, however.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 04:29:30 pm »

I had a miner-in-training take over a mason's shop in a secretive mood and come out...a legendary miner! I didn't know you could do that. He made a door worth 3.6k, pretty clearly overshadowed in the artifact department around here, but you know, I got another legendary miner.
Pages: [1] 2