Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 622021 times)

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #195 on: January 07, 2011, 04:57:20 pm »

So basically there's no easy way to find it within the game.

If you start as "dwarf of (civilization)" which is closest to where your fortress was, do you start within the civilization highlighted on the map?

For now, I think you start within the nearest some random human civilization.  When Toady reimpliments dwarven sites, then you will probably start in that civ.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 09:27:23 am by minno »

K17U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 07, 2011, 05:06:39 pm »

For now, I think you start within the nearest human civilization.

This seems to be false.
I made an Elven adventurer to visit an old Fortress of mine and despite taking an elven civ in direct vicinity I spawned at the other end of the world.
Yes, there was a human civ nearby.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 07, 2011, 05:59:15 pm »

I was wondering why there were only humans villages nearby.

So it looks like currently there's no way to know where I am.

Please note that I'm new to Adventure mode.  Still learning a bunch about how it works.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 08, 2011, 09:34:21 am »

I can usually find my old fortresses, my world isn't super huge and once i come close to it, the fort shows up on the travel map usually. If it doesn't i ask for surroundings for a bit and then somebody will come up with a story of some megabeast killed at my fort and I'm good. If you are from the same civilization as the fort it might even show up on the (Q) menus site listing (you can then zoom your map there to find a path), you just have to remember your forts translated name.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 08, 2011, 02:04:01 pm »

I was wondering why there were only humans villages nearby.

Non-human settlements in this version only exist in abstract form (events in world-gen and some after).

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 08, 2011, 07:23:10 pm »

also, what would be the best misc item for a weapon?

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 08, 2011, 07:29:37 pm »

also, what would be the best misc item for a weapon?

Something heavy and hard.  Shields work pretty well, with the added bonus of defense.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 08, 2011, 11:09:32 pm »

I finally tracked down my old fort.  Now to survive the giant, dragon, and demons there.

Thanks for the help.

Interesting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 09, 2011, 01:56:30 am »

I started adventurer mode as an Outsider Keeper peasant. Im playing Deons' Genesis Mod, with the Ironhand tiles.

I open inventory:

Then when I try to grab a rock from the floor, it says:

1. Is there a way to pick many items, besides two at most (left hand and right hand)?

2. Am I missing a backpack? Is there a way to pick dozens and put them in a backpack and use the items from the backpack directly using the throw command, for example? Ive read a post where a guy says you can fill your inventory with rocks, but It seems the items I acquire by the get command, only go to my left or right hand, if they are empty. What Im missing here?

3. How can I interact with trees, berries, peas, mushrooms and other objects on the map?

4. What is the point of "igniting" objects? I get close to them and I press "g", and the only option that comes up is "ignite". Then they start burning, but they do no damage, neither they increase field of view/line of sight when its dark, like torches would.

5.Shouldnt I be able to collect berries, peas and other items from the wilderness and be able to trade them, craft with them, eat and so on?

6. Is there a point in improving my archery/throwing skill beyond legendary? I noticed that the skill keeps increasing with use, requiring more actions each time and also increasing my attributes that way, but when I actually throw something at someone, will the legendary that requires 2800 skill points be inferior to the legendary that requires 5800 skill points to upgrade? Will it do more damage, will it do more critical damages, will it be more accurate, anything at all besides increasing attribute points?

7. Does lying on the ground and standing up multiple times increase my atributes? Like building up strenght, agility, endurance and toughness? Like in the military.

8. Is there a cap for speed? What are the highest values your characters got on it? If an archer is shooting you and you are moving very fast with your 2000+ speed, will it be harder for the attacker, like in real life?

9. I found a bunch of beetles after searching the ground. How can I attack/train on them?

10. How drowsyness game mechanics works? How does it affect my character atributes/skills and modifiers for actions?

11. How do I increase my line of sight? What attribute governs it? How do I become better at observing skill? What does it actually do anyway?

12. Is there any tool for the last version of Dwarf Fortress that allows me to see graphics in 3D?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 02:01:31 am by Interesting »

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 09, 2011, 02:23:45 am »

I started adventurer mode as an Outsider Keeper peasant. Im playing Deons' Genesis Mod, with the Ironhand tiles.

I open inventory:

Then when I try to grab a rock from the floor, it says:

1. Is there a way to pick many items, besides two at most (left hand and right hand)?

2. Am I missing a backpack? Is there a way to pick dozens and put them in a backpack and use the items from the backpack directly using the throw command, for example? Ive read a post where a guy says you can fill your inventory with rocks, but It seems the items I acquire by the get command, only go to my left or right hand, if they are empty. What Im missing here?

3. How can I interact with trees, berries, peas, mushrooms and other objects on the map?

4. What is the point of "igniting" objects? I get close to them and I press "g", and the only option that comes up is "ignite". Then they start burning, but they do no damage, neither they increase field of view/line of sight when its dark, like torches would.

5.Shouldnt I be able to collect berries, peas and other items from the wilderness and be able to trade them, craft with them, eat and so on?

6. Is there a point in improving my archery/throwing skill beyond legendary? I noticed that the skill keeps increasing with use, requiring more actions each time and also increasing my attributes that way, but when I actually throw something at someone, will the legendary that requires 2800 skill points be inferior to the legendary that requires 5800 skill points to upgrade? Will it do more damage, will it do more critical damages, will it be more accurate, anything at all besides increasing attribute points?

7. Does lying on the ground and standing up multiple times increase my atributes? Like building up strenght, agility, endurance and toughness? Like in the military.

8. Is there a cap for speed? What are the highest values your characters got on it? If an archer is shooting you and you are moving very fast with your 2000+ speed, will it be harder for the attacker, like in real life?

9. I found a bunch of beetles after searching the ground. How can I attack/train on them?

10. How drowsyness game mechanics works? How does it affect my character atributes/skills and modifiers for actions?

11. How do I increase my line of sight? What attribute governs it? How do I become better at observing skill? What does it actually do anyway?

12. Is there any tool for the last version of Dwarf Fortress that allows me to see graphics in 3D?

1.Get some backpacks/quivers/chests/bags or wathever , it must be a container
2.If you have genesis mode you can make a backpack , all you need is some plants and a needle
3.Umm you have genesis mode right? You can't really interact , you will need to make yourself a stone axe , 2 rocks in your hands should be enuf to make 1 , press x to see wath you can make, cut some trees gather some plants make a bag , or you could just buy one
4.You might catch fire If you stay to long near them, or its just a filthy bug
5.Its not yet implemented to interact with objects on the map , or mine, wait some releases of DF
6.There 5 more levels after legendary
7.I do not know
8.Practically you cant avoid arrows , but you can dodge the, the characther will do that automatically
9.You can't , yet , I thinked on training fluffy wamblers too ^^ , anyways you can't train animals in adventure mode yet
10.It might affect you when you attack and do stuff , perhaps its bugged
11.Nope , your line of sight remains the same no mater the observer skill is , the observer skill is used to warn you of threats that come across fast traveling/sleeping outdoors
12.Well i don't think so , DFhack must be updated in order , but I don't think there is something like that for adventure mode , just for Dwarf mode
Desu

Interesting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 09, 2011, 06:47:50 am »

I just read the Genesis mod wiki.

At some point, it says that I need "arrowheads".
1. How do I make arrowheads? Are arrowheads the same thing as spearheads?

2. Regarding the quality of weapons made with stone, wood and bones. How does the different types of bones, stone and wood types affect the quality of the resulting item?
Here it says the quality of the crossbow affects the accuracy, while the material doesnt make a difference: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Crossbow
2A. Does the quality of the bolts/arrows affect damage as well? Does feather tree having 12.5 less density than blood thorn wood make any difference regarding piercing damage or atleast weight? Wich kind of tree should I hunt for to make the most epic arrows?

3. Where can I read about the best stone type, the best wood type, the best bones, etc?

4. I made a few bucks selling fertilized soil to some shopkeepers, now I would like to start shopping: what should I buy?
4A. What is the point of jewelry, gems, clothing?
4B.Is there magic jewelry? Can I use gems to enchant an item? Should I buy them just as an expensive/light currency money between towns?
4C.Does clothing can be used below metal armor to increase protection? What about leather?

5. I bought a hemp bag, but couldnt equip it using the W "wear" command, had to resell it back and buy an item whose description stated "backpack". Later on I saw that a bag had some seeds inside, is that the purpose of bags?

6. Can I have two or more backpacks in order to organize my stuff? Like in Ultima Online... I had a bunch of colorfull backpacks inside my main inventory, and then inside those backpacks, there were some bags/pouches and stuff. Is there something like it here?

7. What about leatherskins and barrels? Can I use the ones I buy from Shops? Do I have to make them with the crafting from the Mod? Can I fill them with water somewhere?

8. Does clothing made with giant cave spiders silk offer better protection than hemp for example? Is this just a rumour? Can modders see the armor values/modifiers anywhere? I want to know what are the best materials for cloths.

9. How do I know the price of something I want to buy from the shop without having to keep increasing the offer 1 by 1 and without offering one item of mine that is much more valuable?

10. Is there a way to set hotkeys for the crafting menu items? Is there a way to set a macro for those?

11. What happens I keep 100% of my body parts covered in mud for a few days? Do I get an infection or something? Do I need to swim from time to time? Does swimming affects my equipment in any way? Do I have to drop all items on the ground and get naked on the cold water?

12. Does the Shops refresh after a few days? Can npcs come and steal the shop? If I drop something inside a shops floor, will it remain there forever as my property? If someone take it, will they get punished for stealing?

13. How do I solve this problem?
Ive sold many items at the market and each time I got different ammounts and types of coins... now my inventory is a mess... how can I group all golden coins together now? I dont have any items to sell and rebuy one single time...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 07:25:19 am by Interesting »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 09, 2011, 02:44:26 pm »

...I've a question.

Okay, I'm playing Genesis, but I'm sure it doesn't matter much either way. My first task as a new adventurer was to kill a dusk elf bandit. I got this from an Ezrakim Elf civilization/hamlet. When I went to kill the dusk elf, I actually managed to come out without a scratch. However, I went to the nearest civilization unwittingly and it was a dusk elf civ... they all immediately swarmed me. I made it out alive (took a while) but should this be happening? Should killing bandits of a certain race/civ really destroy your reputation with that civ as a whole? I hadn't even done anything else.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 09, 2011, 03:36:40 pm »

@Interesting (if I didn't list it, I don't know the answer):

2. Material only affects item quality in that it affects which skills you can use to create that item (for instance, a Bowyer can make crossbows only from wood while a Weapon smith can make them only from metal, and at the same skill level Bowyers make better crossbows).
2A.Yes, weight is a significant factor in how much damage an fired ammunition does. The densest materials make the best ammo. Keep in mind though, even the densest wood (Glumprong, 1.250g/cm^3) is only a fraction of the weight of the lightest metal you can make ammo out of besides Adamatine (Iron or Steel, 7.280g/cm^3). I'm not sure what effect hardness has.

3. You can find more than you ever wanted to know about stone on the wiki. As for best wood and bone, I think all bones are functionally identical and the only factor separating different kinds of wood is density.

4A. They're something that has full value in any shop, as opposed to money, which only has full value in the civilization it's made by (anywhere else they'll only pay for the material it's made from).
4B. There's no magic at all in DF right now, and won't be for quite a while.
4C. Yes, clothing can block attacks like armor does but isn't nearly as good at it; generally cloth will only protect from small animal scratches. Leather is better, but still nowhere near as affective as metal. For more details see this page.

5. Bags are meant for storage and hauling not personal toting, the same for barrels and chest. You're right that you can't equip bags, only backpacks, quivers, and waterskins.

6. and 7. You can have multiple backpacks (either worn or within other backpacks), but it's not at all necessary: there's no limit to how much stuff you pick up off the ground you can fit in one, only to how much you can put in there from your hands (which no one really understands), which can be bypassed by simply dropping an item on the ground and picking up when your hands are full. And I guess you can fill a barrel with water (hit 'I' while next to some water and select the barrel), but there's not much point now in this version since hunger and thirst have been disabled.

9. Just make an offer ridiculous unreasonable in your favor (if you offer him anything ask for all his money even if you're asking for items more valuable than what you're trading, if you're only buying from him ask for everything for 1) and he'll counter with the minimum value you can pay.

10. Yes, there are. If you have any questions that page didn't answer, ask someone else because I don't know much about those.

11. I don't think being covered in a material affects you unless it's poisonous, besides maybe weighing you down a very small amount. You can wash off yourself and all your gear by just swimming in some water for a few tiles (so long as you a good enough swimmer not to drown) and the water covering will eventually evaporate.

12. If their inventory is empty they get new items the second you sleep, wait with the sleep menu, or use quick-travel, though they never seem to get new money.
As far as I know shops are never robbed by anyone but adventurers.
I'm not sure if stuff you leave there remains your property, but I'm sure no one else will take it because NPCs never pick up items in this version.

13. No, you can't stack items at this point. The best solution is just to buy as many items as possible, exit the trade menu, pick them up, and then resell them.

Interesting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 09, 2011, 06:39:31 pm »

Repply to 9.
When Im buying, I select the item I want to trade, then I offer 1 unitary currency unit and he says its not enough, BUT HE DOES NOT COUNTER WITH THE MINIMUM NECESSARY PRICE.
I will take a screenshot when I start playing later tonight.

If anyone else have more information regarding the questions, please, feel free to add anything.

1. Can I select each backpack individually when choosing where to put items?
Like, I press i to get to the inventory, then I select a backpack, then it shows all the items inside of it. Like a folder inside a folder in windows operation system.

2. I noticed I can lick mud, blood and vomit out of myself. How that works? Its a unique game concept I had never seen before.

3. How new is adventure mod? I just started playing Dwarf Fortress. I got interested due to the depth and complexity of it, but it seems that adventure mode is just an afterthought having just a fraction of the developer time, effort, programming spent on it. How has been the general progression latelly? Is the developers starting to pick up on adventure mode rather quickly, is it the focus now? I heard the game took many years to get to this stage, so I wonder if it will take many years before adventure mode is up to par to Dwarf Fortress.

It seems that all the NPCs I met, with all their distinct professions are completelly worthless, except for fighters and peasants wich can be recruited, they are just there to fill empty space. When I get in a shop, it doesnt matter wich npc I talk too, they all sell the items of that shop. The only types of interactions I found so far are getting random quests, and getting random data on nearby areas.

I wish my adventurer could do anything my characters could do in Dwarf Fortress and I wish the AI would work the same way in adventure mode as it works in Dwarf Fortress. Like, every civilization doing their thing, interacting with each other, dwarfs mining deeper and deeper and so on. Adventure mode seems like everything is static and broken. The world doesnt feel as dinamic and evolving. It seems everybody is standing still, not generating anything of value, not having their objectives, schedules... You see, I want to be able to control one character in the world of Dwarf Fortress mode, not a control an adventurer in a completelly different world. Adventure mode world is too static. No farms, No greedy NPCs, No civilizations doing their best to prepare for future events. Its like everybody has been mind controlled.

One question still remains. If I create a world from zero and start playing on it with an adventurer, without ever playing on Dwarf Fortress mode, will I ever see epic Dwarf Fortress from NPCs? Goblins attacking their fortresses, NPC dwarfes digging to deep, unleashing demonic creatures, making powerfull artifacts and armies... Can I still find anything of the sort, or is the world bland and sterile. So far Ive been to a few hamlets and towns, its nothing like Dwarf Fortress hurry/rush/pace, where the world is alive. Should I keep playing to eventually find out Im wrong, or Am I doing a correct analysis of the current state of adventure mode and should come back again in 6 months to a few years?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 09, 2011, 06:43:18 pm »

No. The world doesn't evolve after initial gen.
And remember, adventure mode is *far* behind fort mode in terms of completeness.
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 327