Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 621952 times)

Yuzuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #270 on: January 14, 2011, 06:57:35 pm »

1. the knapping skill
you may want to press "?" button in game so to check the "table" list .
2. money
unfortunately it can't be united/stacked ,But it can be sold to a shopkeeper for "exchanged" goldpile on the table ... cost you though but necessary i suppose .. anyway you can also fill you backpack with jewels .
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and here comes my question AGAIN :(

A fort lady asking me to kill a minotaurlike ...thing ...anyway I found this location but stuck here facing this idle entrance i just cant move downwards.
standing near that entrance the mutilayer windows pops out and shows underground terrain (a MAZE !) .
Alt + arrowkey doesn't work ,there's no second choice "Below" when walk to the middle ">" symbol (which the name indicates"Downward Stairway")
Any suggestions ? >:(

EDIT: figure out already ...just standing at ">" and ALT + 5 ...
well....at least it might be helpful to other idiots like me   others ... :-\
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 07:48:50 pm by Yuzuke »

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 14, 2011, 08:42:30 pm »

A fort lady asking me to kill a minotaurlike ...thing ...anyway I found this location but stuck here facing this idle entrance i just cant move downwards.
standing near that entrance the mutilayer windows pops out and shows underground terrain (a MAZE !) .
Alt + arrowkey doesn't work ,there's no second choice "Below" when walk to the middle ">" symbol (which the name indicates"Downward Stairway")
Any suggestions ? >:(

EDIT: figure out already ...just standing at ">" and ALT + 5 ...
well....at least it might be helpful to other idiots like me   others ... :-\

You can also use "<" to move up a level and ">" to move down a level.  (shift-"," and shift-"." for standard US Qwerty keyboards).

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 14, 2011, 09:41:03 pm »

^To elaborate, those are quality grades. They provide a multiplicative bonus to weapons (for accuracy and damage) and armor (chance of blocking) which depends on the grade:
1. Regular: (item name), base
2. Well-crafted: -(item name)-, 1.2 times base
3. Finely-crafted: +(item name)+, 1.4 times base
4. Superior quality: *(item name)*, 1.6 times base
5. Exceptional quality: ≡(item name)≡, 1.8 times base
6. Masterful quality: ☼(item name)☼, double base
7. Artifact: item has unique name, triple base [can only be made in fortress mode by moods at random]

Also, don't mistake a quality item for an item with a quality decoration, not that they're mutually exclusive. If something has one of more decorations, the name will have a < mark for each one. Each decoration has its own quality as does the weapon itself, and the weapon's quality marker is the one closest to the item name. So +<*<-bronze long sword->*>+ means a well-crafted bronze long sword with one superior decoration and one finely-crafted decoration.

Interesting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 15, 2011, 12:15:24 am »

Do companions evolve/progress when surviving multiple adventures with you?

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 15, 2011, 01:34:39 am »

Do companions evolve/progress when surviving multiple adventures with you?

Yes, some people have felt they even grow faster than player characters.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 15, 2011, 02:03:03 am »

Does wearing boots/gauntlets improve the damage done by kicks/punches?

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 15, 2011, 06:13:01 am »

Does wearing boots/gauntlets improve the damage done by kicks/punches?
No, unfortunately. Just like a weapon covered in spikes doesn't do any more damage.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 15, 2011, 08:38:21 am »

If you use dfusion to swap into your companions (useful for outfitting them), you can also go to the status screen and check their skills and attributes directly.

Spork The Slightly Insane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McWrestler cancels attack: sent into orbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 15, 2011, 12:53:34 pm »

Alright, I just picked up a crossbow in my left hand. I grabbed the guys quiver, equipped it, and placed the bolts inside of it. The problem is, I can't fire it. Note that I have no skill in being a marksdorf. Is this because my character is right-hand dominant or ...?
Edit: It keeps saying "You have nothing left to fire."

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 15, 2011, 03:06:41 pm »

Does the armor-user skill affect how much you are hindered by a container or its contents?

Will the crutch-walking bug (get rid of a crutch some way besides [d]ropping it and it's treated like you're sill holding it) work even if a units arm's are cut off?

Alright, I just picked up a crossbow in my left hand. I grabbed the guys quiver, equipped it, and placed the bolts inside of it. The problem is, I can't fire it. Note that I have no skill in being a marksdorf. Is this because my character is right-hand dominant or ...?

I'm sure it's not hand-dominance, that doesn't exist. Are you sure you have the right ammo? You can also try holding a bolt in the other hand.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 03:48:51 pm by Knigel »

Yuzuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 15, 2011, 05:57:44 pm »

Check your hands and remove(which means [P]ut or [D]rop) any other items/weapons then try again . you can Pick them back use [G] and [R]emove in hands later for fun but you must empty your hands first except that crossbow .
I've noticed  no matter how many items/equipments when [R]emove in hands , you can still [F]ire as long as the correct weapon let say bow/longbow/crossbow "FIRST APPEARED" in your empty hands , It's unbelievable but my dwarf successfully fired a bolt with his both hands "multigrasp" a halberd and some pebbles . So he began shotting off heads , chopping off legs at the meantime . throwing/playing pebbles with his rest fingers. That is why nobody tosses a dwarf .
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 04:32:56 am by Yuzuke »

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 15, 2011, 07:16:49 pm »

Check your hands and remove(which means [P]ut or [D]rop) any other items/weapons then try again . you can Pick them back use [G] and [R]emove in hands later for fun but you must empty your hands except that crossbow .
I've noticed  no matter how many items/equipments when [R]emove in hands , you can still [F]ire as long as the correct weapon let say bow/longbow/crossbow "FIRST APPEARED" in your empty hands , It's unbelievable but my dwarf successfully fired a bolt with his both hands "multigrasp" a halberd and some pebbles . So he began shotting off heads , chopping off legs at the meantime . throwing/playing pebbles with his rest fingers. That is why nobody tosses a dwarf .
Now I'm going to do this...

also, is it possible to cremate people and what would be the easiest way to achieve cremation? nvm figured it out.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 08:10:39 pm by xeivous »

castun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 20, 2011, 08:25:14 am »

My first adventurer in .18, and probably only my 3rd or 4th adventurer since 31.12, and so I’m not too sure about weapon materials.  My axe-woman (didn’t realize she was female, stupid newer fonts didn’t properly display the male/female symbols) started out with a silver halberd, which near as I can tell and according to the wiki is better than anything copper, bronze, or iron because of it’s material density.  Is this the case?  I also started out with a  shield because I put some points into the shield skill, but I notice that if I remove the shield I’ll use two-hands on the weapon, I take it that can allow for more powerful strikes, correct?

On another non-related note, I have DFG 31.18 and I really dislike the newer font simply because I play on a 1920x1200 monitor, and even though I play in windowed mode with the tiling size changed to take up nearly the whole screen, the font is just too small to play comfortably.  If there was some way to upscale the font size, it might be livable.  As it is though, I decided to revert back to the original font for the time being.  It’s much more pleasant to use, as long as you have a big screen to play with.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 20, 2011, 11:48:21 am »

My first adventurer in .18, and probably only my 3rd or 4th adventurer since 31.12, and so I’m not too sure about weapon materials.  My axe-woman (didn’t realize she was female, stupid newer fonts didn’t properly display the male/female symbols) started out with a silver halberd, which near as I can tell and according to the wiki is better than anything copper, bronze, or iron because of it’s material density.  Is this the case?  I also started out with a  shield because I put some points into the shield skill, but I notice that if I remove the shield I’ll use two-hands on the weapon, I take it that can allow for more powerful strikes, correct?

1. As far as I know, high density is only useful for blunt weapons. Accordingly, you want an iron halberd; steel would be better, but humans don't forge anything out of steel in DF. Silver, the heaviest standard weapon material, would be better for blunt weapons.

2. From what I've seen and read, you only use a weapon in two hands if it's too large for you to comfortably wield in one hand. The fact that your character tries to "multi-grasp" her halberd suggests that she's being penalized in terms of accuracy and/or damage when trying to use it one-handedly.

Here's a question of my own, and I apologize if this is common knowledge: is there a way of making humanoids butcherable? I'm leaning towards no, because I've already modified what ethic-related tags seemed appropriate by giving them the "acceptable" value, but maybe I'm missing something here. I've generated a new world and I'm still seeing the usual "you are not that hungry" bullshit.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 11:53:42 am by assimilateur »

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 20, 2011, 12:50:52 pm »

not really. well you could remove the "Sapient", "Not_Butcherable" and other tags but that might affect gameplay (even stupider humans!) ;D
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 327