Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 622103 times)

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #810 on: July 07, 2012, 04:17:06 am »

You could either talk to a civilian that you don't know yet, your adventurer will tell them his name.
Or, you could have a look at your weapon (if you aren't a wrestler), your English name is stored there, too.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: July 07, 2012, 04:36:57 am »

Either Adventure mode is really hard, or I really suck. Or both.

Even with a demigod human, with maxed out strength, high agility, toughness and endurance (and a bunch of above average other things in the same list) and 10 points in swordsman, armour, shield and dodge (and again some points in a bunch of other skills), and some followers (I look for lashers and hammermen usually), I tned to get murdered by the first armoured enemies (usually bandits, but one time about four hundred kobolds) that comes along.
I tired throwing rocks and stuff at them from hidden, but usually they just bounce off.

Other people get ambushed by wolves, I get ambushed by freaking lions.

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: July 07, 2012, 06:43:49 am »

Well, look at it like this: bandits had a lifetime of combat training, while you're just some dude who just decided that he'd like to be a hero. They're bound to be stronger than you are.

Many adventure mode players grind up their swimming, sneaking or throwing skills, but I think that's boring.
There are a few things that I usually try in the beginning, and if you keep a those in mind, surviving will be a lot easier.

I normally play as a hero, with high agility, above average strength, toughness and willpower and good dodging and shield skills. The other skills don't matter as much. If you can dodge hits (and especially arrows), many problems are solved. Still, I try to get the best armor (and weapons of course) that I can - just in case - usually by looting keeps and fortresses. Shops mostly don't have any good stuff, and tombs aren't worth the risk in my opinion.
And obviously, get as many companions as you can. I don't care much for their weapons.
Then, it's important to find the right enemies. Vampires and werebeasts are always great for beginners. Vampires are generally pretty strong, so if you want to become one yourself, drink vampire blood. The downside is that you'll have to drink blood every day or so.
You could also try to hunt wildlife, but again, I think that's boring.

If you get ambushed, run. Most bandits and especially goblins are too strong for you in the beginning, and when they ambush you, they have a superior position. Forget your companions, hide behind a tree and sneak away.

If I don't get a quest for vampires or werebeasts, I usually visit the dungeon under the keep and sneak around down there. You always find some bandits, and they are easier to fight if your companions run ahead and you don't get detected because you're sneaking. Also, ranged combatants aren't as strong in enclosed spaces.

I've had mixed experiences with fighting night creatures. They are always great wrestlers, but you can overwhelm them with enough companions. In my experience, every night creature has a weak spot at the lower body: they get bisected really fast.

When you're a bit more confident in your abilities, you can try to clear bandit camps. It's important to have a few companions - the more the merrier. Don't try to be heroic and charge into battle - let your companions have the arrows in their bodies. Make use of sneaking, try to get close before revealing yourself to the archers. I also like to throw arrows or bolts at dangerous enemies, but you'll have to find your own style there.
And, most important, some bandit groups are stronger than others. If you meet a bandit group filled with archers or with weapon masters, retreat. Being alive is more important than being heroic.

So, in conclusion, there is not much to it. Just be aware of the strength of your enemies, bring many companions, use the terrain, and don't be afraid of retreating.
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: July 07, 2012, 09:53:32 am »

You could either talk to a civilian that you don't know yet, your adventurer will tell them his name.
Or, you could have a look at your weapon (if you aren't a wrestler), your English name is stored there, too.
But of course! I had forgotten about that lets see....

Grave Steelwinds, The Laconic Cave of Mesh.  Not bad. Thanks.

Zale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: July 07, 2012, 05:11:35 pm »

Not sure if this is the right thread, but whatever.

Is there anyway to make a ranged attack on a friendly target?

lignition

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: July 07, 2012, 05:44:35 pm »

Not sure if this is the right thread, but whatever.

Is there anyway to make a ranged attack on a friendly target?
You have to make them hostile to you first.

Zale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: July 07, 2012, 06:58:05 pm »

Darn.

Well, I guess I can get arrows from the Town Merchants, correct?

lignition

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: July 07, 2012, 07:03:39 pm »

Darn.

I think so, but you can always recruit a bowman and hope they drown in the river.

tyrannus007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: July 09, 2012, 08:35:34 pm »

I absolutely cannot find a quest target. He's a werebeast that is supposed to be in a lair very close to or under a city. I checked in a whole bunch of sewers and under the keep and couldn't find him. I used dfhack's reveal tool to make sure, but no luck. Are there any clues where I'm supposed to go?
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: July 11, 2012, 09:41:20 pm »

I absolutely cannot find a quest target. He's a werebeast that is supposed to be in a lair very close to or under a city. I checked in a whole bunch of sewers and under the keep and couldn't find him. I used dfhack's reveal tool to make sure, but no luck. Are there any clues where I'm supposed to go?
Give up. Sewer quests are really hard if not impossible to find your target.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

InfiniVide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: July 11, 2012, 09:49:30 pm »

Is there any good way to locate a particular person?  My adventurer has been hunting down necromancers and using legends mode I've been able to determine the only one who is left.  However, the last piece of information I have on him has led me to a temple where he was leader about 8 years previously.  He had claimed a slab after learning the secrets of life and death but that's as far as the information I have goes.  Is there a utility that might help me in this case?

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: July 20, 2012, 01:37:50 pm »

how do I bucher a corps X then B wont show anything is bucherable wether in my inventory or not

is there an esyer way to change wepons then droping the equip wepon and picking up the new one?

what dose the knaper skill do?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 10:23:44 am by Sprin »
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: July 20, 2012, 11:12:51 pm »

how do I bucher a corps X then B wont show anything is bucherable wether in my inventory or not

is there an esyer way to change wepons then droping the equip wepon and picking up the new one?

You need to be holding something that can hold an edge, like a pick, knife, sword, or axe. When the butcher command his highlighted (you can use your cursor) hit right ( -> or 6 ) and the corpse piece will be highlighted (just leave it on the ground). If there are multiple corpses in the tile, you can move the cursor up or down to select which one. Hit enter to select that corpse. Then you can select which cutting tool you want to use. Hit enter once you've selected one, it doesn't matter. The pieces of butchered parts will be left on the ground for you to pick up.

You can hit [r] to take something out of your inventory, it will be held in your hand. Press [p] to put something away. Items in your hand will be written in grey, worn items in light cyan, stored items in light green. You can hold, as far as I know, an unlimited number of items; if you're playing a predominately melee character, there's no reason not to always hold a knife for the purposes of butchering, for example.

Darn.

I think so, but you can always recruit a bowman and hope they drown in the river.

You can pick up most of the arrows you will ever need from the local inhabited castle. They tend to have piles of weapons and ammo lying about for anyone who needs them to take. Also, if you're a human, lots of armour. The dungeons are also usually piled high with free stuff, if you don't mind all the villains hanging around down there trying to kill you.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

vomov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: August 06, 2012, 07:38:51 am »

Tiny question: is it possible to pick up and use slik web? I simply can't find out how, and am starting to think it's not possible...

TallAsAHouseDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: August 06, 2012, 02:37:38 pm »

I recently started playing adventure mode for a change and occasionally I get a quest to kill a vampire. The problem is not killing it but finding the damn thing. I run in circles and compass shows me which direction to go, but I can't just seem to find it even if it's pointed being right where I am. Is there a cave entrance somewhere nearby and if so, how the heck am I supposed find it? Do I just have to run bigger and bigger circles around the area or what? ???
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 327