Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 621827 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3150 on: December 21, 2015, 01:11:44 pm »

Wouldn't breaking a leg make it simpler, so they won't be able to charge you from there? Then again, and this bears testing, maybe the low crawl is a defense against fire.

EDIT: Has anyone composed a dance? I only have 1 form, but that form and dancing is at Novice, and I'm still not able to compose new dances.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 01:34:06 pm by Uzu Bash »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: December 21, 2015, 06:15:09 pm »

So, banditos. I finally realized I can tell which is human and which is goblin, via the trouble description. Causing us much hardship? Human. Bringing terror to our doorstep? Goblin.

But what origin would a "marauding warband" be?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: December 21, 2015, 09:04:27 pm »

Never checked, hmmm.

Is it possible to get steel armor and weapons in adventure mode? I haven't seen any steel item for such a long time of my adventures
This is why I swap [BUILDS_OUTDOOR_TOMBS] from the human entity to the dorf one, loot worth risking a mummy.

Tell me please, how have you did it?
You need to generate a new world with these settings, but they're great, I found a masterwork steel hauberk (renamed mail shirts because it makes more sense) earlier.

Just open df/raw/objects/entity_default.txt go down to the dwarf entity and add [BUILDS_OUTDOOR_TOMBS] at the end, then go down to the human entity and remove a bracket from the same entry under them.
Wouldn't breaking a leg make it simpler, so they won't be able to charge you from there? Then again, and this bears testing, maybe the low crawl is a defense against fire.

EDIT: Has anyone composed a dance? I only have 1 form, but that form and dancing is at Novice, and I'm still not able to compose new dances.
Gotta do it before they attack you, they will try to follow and surround you, so you can lead them around while still putting down campfires, if you surround one with them entirely  and then put one under them while the square under you is on fire they have no choice but to hang out and burn.

I've written lots of dances, far too many to list, but I always go with 10 dancing, and the only way some of my characters can write dances from forms they've learned elsewhere is by writing down a choreography on a blank quire/scroll.

I've had goblins be marauding warbands too, I've also had harassing people on the streets turn out to be a necromancer with zombies that sieged the fort I started in and killed me so I turned myself into a ghost and watched the carnage.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: December 22, 2015, 12:59:26 pm »

After learning a new form, I was able to choreograph for that form. The first one was an improvisational partner dance with improvisational music, so I couldn't compose for the musical form, either.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: December 23, 2015, 02:23:22 pm »

Where are the taverns in dark fortresses found? I can see from the history they were constructed, but I've never gotten a feel for how the underfort is laid out.

acidia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: December 23, 2015, 11:10:31 pm »

How can you even explore dark fortresses?  The game grinds to an unbearable slog the second I step into the local square... even dark pits are painful enough that I don't usually bother. 

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: December 23, 2015, 11:15:00 pm »

How can you even explore dark fortresses?  The game grinds to an unbearable slog the second I step into the local square... even dark pits are painful enough that I don't usually bother.

Put up with it long enough to find the bone hoard, then let it all out, go wild and enjoy some catharsis.

Or just mod trolls and/or beak dogs to instantly die via [HOMEOTHERM:99999] instead. X3
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: December 23, 2015, 11:47:16 pm »

Maybe I just have a higher threshhold of patience for it. This version I haven't found it unbearable yet. It's much worse in a fortress with a library.

Put up with it long enough to find the bone hoard, then let it all out, go wild and enjoy some catharsis.
I haven't even found that, this version or last. This version I haven't found anything that would explain the lag, not in the forts, not in the pits. I've even let myself down to the caverns and still didn't see much activity. What should I be looking for? And is there any hint to where a tavern would be? I tried following different priests, but they just exit the fort one way and enter another.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: December 24, 2015, 12:16:26 am »

I haven't even found that, this version or last. This version I haven't found anything that would explain the lag, not in the forts, not in the pits. I've even let myself down to the caverns and still didn't see much activity. What should I be looking for? And is there any hint to where a tavern would be? I tried following different priests, but they just exit the fort one way and enter another.

Never found a tavern in a dark fortress, but as for the bone hoard, as I call it? Search the towers in the area until you find one with stairs leading underground. You'll find an annoying as hell maze of hallways and doors leading into single-tile rooms. But deep enough, usually the lowest level, you'll find an opening into a huge room, which tends to be full of coffins, memorials, long-dead citizens, holes dropping straight down to the caverns...and finally, damn near all the trolls or other "pets" residing in the site.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: December 24, 2015, 12:51:54 am »

I've found bone pits, but no trolls or beakdogs around them, just slightly better loot, but not better enough to actually pick it up.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: December 24, 2015, 12:54:20 am »

I've found bone pits, but no trolls or beakdogs around them, just slightly better loot, but not better enough to actually pick it up.

Strange. Usually the population down there makes for a big chunk of the lag.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: December 24, 2015, 01:28:28 am »

It's very strange, because I'll cross into an area where the lag worsens, but see nothing. I tried using DFTool to port around, but it doesn't reveal as well as dfhack.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: December 25, 2015, 05:54:43 pm »

Is it possible to get steel armor and weapons in adventure mode? I haven't seen any steel item for such a long time of my adventures
You can always make a fort, craft/trade some equipment, store it somewhere, then switch to adventurer and go pick it up.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: December 25, 2015, 08:23:09 pm »

Does roads/bridges/etc. continue to be built after world gen or after worldgen do new roads and sites and stuff just cease to be made?

Also: Minimum skills required to be able to read and write? How do you pray?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 03:43:27 am by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Fruitsbrain Weapon-tosser

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: December 29, 2015, 09:16:33 am »

How does one place objects into a backpack? I tried (p)utting it in there, but the game stated I lack an appropriate container. And yet I can automatically place the same items in my backpack when my hands are full.
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 327