Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 621818 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3495 on: March 02, 2016, 01:06:12 pm »

so I've founded a fortress with the intent to build it into a gigantic library, and thought it'd be cool to go out as an adventurer with the fortress retired, and bring back some papyrus plants so I could have papyrus for my paper production. but I can't seem to figure out if I can harvest the actual plants. it seems you can ''pick leaf'. but never anything actually usefull of the plant. do I need to mod something for this to be possible or is it possible and am I just missing something?
Needs to be the right season, I think. Probably Summer or Spring. Maybe it's just random.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 01:11:14 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: March 02, 2016, 02:33:36 pm »

so I've founded a fortress with the intent to build it into a gigantic library, and thought it'd be cool to go out as an adventurer with the fortress retired, and bring back some papyrus plants so I could have papyrus for my paper production. but I can't seem to figure out if I can harvest the actual plants. it seems you can ''pick leaf'. but never anything actually usefull of the plant. do I need to mod something for this to be possible or is it possible and am I just missing something?
Needs to be the right season, I think. Probably Summer or Spring. Maybe it's just random.

By default, papyrus is not harvestable in adventure mode, because it lacks any growths for that. Any instance where the actual plant structure (code-wise, item token PLANT) is the important part means it can only be obtained by plant gathering or farming in fortress mode.

A few mods make it harvestable via giving it a growth and a season for it. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: March 02, 2016, 03:31:30 pm »

Easier to make parchment paper, you just need a source of calcium carbonate. Adventurers can get a much higher volume of skins than fortress mode can.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: March 03, 2016, 12:14:04 am »

Easier to make parchment paper, you just need a source of calcium carbonate. Adventurers can get a much higher volume of skins than fortress mode can.
"Just" need a source of calcium carbonate, he says. ::) For that you need a suitable embark, and even then it's still finite (and used in steel making.) Caravan brings it in limited quantities (which defeats the whole purpose since you can just order parchment in bulk.) Then you need to make quicklime at a kiln (keeping in mind you're hauling boulders,) then convert it into quicklime at an ashery (requiring a bag.) Now you get to make the parchment from skin at tanner's shop. Sure hope you didn't accidentally tan all your hides! It's actually the most complicated and difficult of all the sheets.

You know what's really easy? Any cloth plant -> slurry (quern) -> paper (screw press). Done.

If you're really set on papyrus, you can embark on a suitable site (tropical wetland,) gather the seeds there, then have an adventurer deliver them. Keep in mind you probably can't grow it on a non-tropical embark. The wetland requirement might be fulfilled by muddying the soil. If not, then if you can't find it growing wild on your embark, it simply can't be grown there. Check your farm plot seeds list.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 12:35:42 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: March 03, 2016, 12:27:49 am »

You know what makes milk of lime easier? It's a liquid. An adventurer only needs to obtain one unit.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: March 03, 2016, 12:28:29 am »

You know what makes milk of lime easier? It's a liquid. An adventurer only needs to obtain one unit.
Exploit. Like, really, really an exploit. Not QSP/impulse ramp "exploit". Just exploit. Y'know?

Also may or may not actually work as a valid reaction ingredient.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 12:34:11 am by Bumber »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: March 03, 2016, 12:37:51 am »

Exploit. Like, really, really an exploit. Not QSP/impulse ramp "exploit". Just exploit. Y'know?

Also may or may not actually work as a valid ingredient.
I make a lot of parchment paper with one bucket of milk of lime. The reason I find it an acceptable exploit is that there is not one single professional papermaker who does so in adventurer mode. Papermakers aren't scarce, yet paper is an unreasonably scarce commodity.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: March 03, 2016, 02:47:56 am »

Small problem with that. Last I checked, liquids and powders can't be used in adventure-mode recipes, even if contained properly.

Or has that been fixed?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: March 03, 2016, 04:05:25 am »

Paper isn't that scarce, I find lots of random werebeast parchment scrolls and quires and such in tombs and mead halls besides the box in each library.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: March 03, 2016, 07:53:19 am »

Small problem with that. Last I checked, liquids and powders can't be used in adventure-mode recipes, even if contained properly.

Or has that been fixed?
It works, just has to be in a bucket, always has to be on the ground, and after every use the bucket has to be picked up and dropped again. Ash and sand are powders, aren't they? I'm able to make glass and lye with them.

Paper isn't that scarce, I find lots of random werebeast parchment scrolls and quires and such in tombs and mead halls besides the box in each library.
It is in this world. I didn't find any until the first library I visited, in a civ neighboring my starting civ. I didn't see any in loot except in the northern third of my civ, and have not seen any since leaving that corner of the map. If I weren't making my own writing tools, I wouldn't have gotten any at all.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: March 03, 2016, 08:38:36 am »

Hearthpeople (persons?)

How does one acquire them? I'm getting a lot of apologies and my town feels kind of empty.

And for that matter, once ransacked, do people ever re-settle towns?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: March 03, 2016, 11:36:38 am »

Or has that been fixed?
It works, just has to be in a bucket, always has to be on the ground, and after every use the bucket has to be picked up and dropped again. Ash and sand are powders, aren't they? I'm able to make glass and lye with them.

What. What heresy is this? D:
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: March 03, 2016, 11:37:16 am »

If you're really set on papyrus, you can embark on a suitable site (tropical wetland,) gather the seeds there, then have an adventurer deliver them. Keep in mind you probably can't grow it on a non-tropical embark. The wetland requirement might be fulfilled by muddying the soil. If not, then if you can't find it growing wild on your embark, it simply can't be grown there. Check your farm plot seeds list.

hrmm.... that's.. a really good answer. thanks! I might do that... I have a suitable site (my adventurer is already there) just haven't found papyrus there yet. unusually enough. but it might just be the time of year.

and I'm very aware of the slurry-paper route. just want to take out one step to go plant-paper.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 11:44:14 am by Carch »
Carch likes steel, tin, pewter, sharks for their sharp teeth, dragons for their possessive nature and magma smelters for their warm glow.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: March 03, 2016, 11:55:45 am »

Or has that been fixed?

What. What heresy is this? D:
I can make forgotten beast soap!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: March 03, 2016, 12:02:06 pm »

I can make forgotten beast soap!

So it only works if the material is poured onto the ground? -w-
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 327