Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Modding a gun - problems  (Read 2801 times)

Malaclypse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modding a gun - problems
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 04:38:00 pm »

Making the contact area smaller doesn't make them more effective, it makes them less so, as they then will come into contact with fewer body parts, and thus damage less. The problem is, if you make the contact area too high, you start severing things. I'll experiment with lowering the penetration to prevent that. In any case, what I posted is actually more effective than the crossbow bolts- it can penetrate armor fairly easily, often causes damage to nerves, tendons, and ligaments, and is pretty devastating when it hits an artery. Also, it tends to do massive damage when it hits the ribs. I'm working on refining it, though. I was able to kill an alligator with a naked human armed only with the gun and iron bullets, with no skills other than proficient archer and proficient crossbowman. Try doing that with a crossbow. (not that an alligator didn't kill a human a few times before I was able to kill an alligator with a human, but considering the inaccuracy of early guns, that makes sense... you either don't do much with your shots, or you do massive damage.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 06:41:19 am »

[NAME:bullet:bullets]
[SIZE:150]
[ATTACK:EDGE:15:12000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:5000]
Hmm.. as heavy as a dagger, and 15 times wider impact area compared to vanilla DF's whip. Good 12k penetration.
I'd try [ATTACK:EDGE:2:8000:hit:hits:NO_SUB:7000] .
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Mod own skills?
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 06:45:21 am »

I guess it's the best choice, musket is a logical evolution of a crossbow.

Well, musket is the logical evolution is a large barrel you carry over your shoulder made of wood, and that was the logcial evolution of an even larger barrel on wheels.
Guns went the way of the phone and got smaller, not the way of the car and stayed about the same size but better.

robfd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 03:32:53 pm »

Code: [Select]
[SHOOT_MAXVEL:2000]

Apply's a speed cap of 2000 to the object being fired, to prevent near weightless items going at the speed of light, apparently. try increasing that, it may work  :-\ but it also may make it over-powered

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 04:07:00 pm »

try making it a blunt attack. might penetrate better without making OP
btw please post the mod when done  ;)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 05:31:02 pm »

Use the siege operator skill.
(no military skill, but it works)
don't make it blunt. blunt attacks are too strong, like chipping bones at the first hit, or too weak, like wasting hundreds of blows on an enemy before finally breaking his brain.
and is there any option to make reloading take longer?

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 08:28:23 pm »

Hmm....do GORE type damage still register for weapons? Cuz' as fas as I know GORE type is a hybrid of BLUNT & EDGE that's why it's used for horns and such...might be perfect for medieval guns.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Electric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 10:03:44 pm »

The second page was too much of a stretch for me to read, but are the bullets heavy enough to get through? It might be like an adamantine warhammer, it looks awesome but it fucking sucks.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 06:46:32 am »

Hmm....do GORE type damage still register for weapons? Cuz' as fas as I know GORE type is a hybrid of BLUNT & EDGE that's why it's used for horns and such...might be perfect for medieval guns.
Bayonet?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.
Pages: 1 [2]