Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blacksmith's discussion thread  (Read 2560 times)

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
Blacksmith's discussion thread
« on: August 18, 2011, 09:23:02 pm »

Welcome to the Blacksmith's discussion thread. If you are a blacksmith or a related profession, or are just interested in it, then post ideas, comments, or questions. I just would like to say that if you say "Make me a sword" or something alone those lines you will most likely to be ignored.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blacksmith's discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 09:33:19 pm »

Traditional blacksmithing is still around? I always wanted to try it but never had the equipment or support to.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 10:00:25 pm »

I've always been interested in trying to make some weapons like they did in the olden days. I've just got too many irons in the fire at the moment to pursue it though.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 10:07:51 pm by Grimshot »
My personality profile.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 10:12:03 pm »

I'm not even going to dignify that with a respunse.

Also, I've done some metalworking, but since there was no casting or anything I doubt it qualifies as blacksmithing. Strictly shaping via hammer, saw, soldering, and riveting. It's really fun, though, and I wish I'd gotten into it before my last semester so I could've taken more courses and got to the stuff that could actually be considered blacksmithing.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 10:53:39 pm »

A good site to look at projects and plans for equipment is AnivlFire. And yes "traditional" blacksmiths are still around. Most do decorative things like gates or fences, and others myself included make blades. Check out the OABA and ABANA for blacksmiths near you.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 12:36:29 am »

I used to do metalworking all the time, when I was still with my parents. No longer have the equipment or room for it. Apartments suck. I did do conventional hot forging/some welding but it was a pain in the ass with my setup and budget, so I got pretty good at cold-working and (when necessary) annealing instead.

At first I just worked with aluminum - made a really nice mirror-finish sabre with an all-leather wrapped handle that unfortunately got destroyed by my idiot dad. Moved on to practice weapons in same, which is where I really learned to take care with making my fittings. Then I got a couple of decent anvil analogues and started doing serious work with steel. It was at the point where I was seriously looking for training/possible apprenticeship with someone, even just as a farrier, but I never got the chance to follow through really.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 12:58:56 am »

I vaguely remember a website that gave instructions on buidlign a smelter in your backyard.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 06:59:43 am »

I actually learn by voluenteering at a heritage village. Or you could look for blacksmithing classes on the Internet. The forge can be something as simple as an old brake drum in a BBQ. The anvil can be a chunk of railway or a block of steel. If you need help just ask.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 11:15:38 pm »

bump