Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 283

Author Topic: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)  (Read 421219 times)

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
Re: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)
« Reply #615 on: June 14, 2011, 08:44:26 am »

Earth is indeed in the Halo universe

That it is. You even go there for 2, 3 and ODST.

Anypony have ideas for a non-official name for Pony Planet?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: June 14, 2011, 08:46:23 am »

I'd just go with Equestria. It's the only name mentioned anyway
*Hugs*

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: June 14, 2011, 08:53:08 am »

Yeah, this. It's never specified that Equestria is a country as such, for all we know Celestia might actually rule a whole planet.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: June 14, 2011, 08:56:36 am »

To my knowledge there is no official name of the planet. There are indications that it is Earth (same constellations in the sky), but I suspect that's not very useful to you, seeing as Earth is in the Halo universe already. Or at least I think it is (my knowledge of the Halo universe is very sparse).
It doesn't have to be in the same place as earth for it to have the same constellations, just in the same neighborhood.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: June 14, 2011, 09:15:38 am »

Yeah, this. It's never specified that Equestria is a country as such, for all we know Celestia might actually rule a whole planet.

It's implied in the dragon episode, if I'm remembering right. I think someone asks what a dragon is doing in Equestria, and Twilight Sparkle responds "sleeping". Also, it's mentioned that the smoke from the snoring will cover all of Equestria. Probably an exaggeration, but I doubt that'd be said if Equestria was the whole planet.
So, when the Dragon is asked to leave Equestria, I doubt they were asking the fella to break atmo.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: June 14, 2011, 09:37:50 am »

It doesn't have to be in the same place as earth for it to have the same constellations, just in the same neighborhood.

This is very true, but since our constellations include the brightest stars on the sky, which are also generally the closest, the Pony Planet would have to be very close to earth for this to be possible.

You also have the problem of parallax. Many constellations include stars that are very far from each other in actual 3D space, but happen to look like they lie close to each other from Earth. Moving merely to the closest star from Earth (~4 light years) would make these constellations look very different since closer stars will seem to move in respect to other, more distant ones.

A simple estimation of the parallax of the closest star of Orion (since it's explicitly mentioned in the series),Bellatrix  ~240 ly away, with respect to the farthest bright star in the same constellation (Alnilam ~1300 ly away) and a 4 light-year base line shows that Bellatrix will move roughly 3/4 of a degree in relation to Alnilam. If you do the same thing with Scorpius (closest star is ~16 ly away) you get a whooping 17 degree parallax. More than enough to render the constellation unrecognisable.

Hopefully I haven't done any errors...

That got a bit geeky, and it doesn't really matter anyway since one could just ignore the constellations and put the planet wherever, but I found it a fun experiment.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: June 14, 2011, 11:15:36 am »

It's implied in the dragon episode, if I'm remembering right. I think someone asks what a dragon is doing in Equestria, and Twilight Sparkle responds "sleeping". Also, it's mentioned that the smoke from the snoring will cover all of Equestria. Probably an exaggeration, but I doubt that'd be said if Equestria was the whole planet.
So, when the Dragon is asked to leave Equestria, I doubt they were asking the fella to break atmo.

Maybe it's a very small planet? And IMO dragons flying from planet to planet through space would be absolutely freaking cool.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: June 14, 2011, 11:30:57 am »

Maybe it's a very small planet? And IMO dragons flying from planet to planet through space would be absolutely freaking cool.

Off-Topic: but that's one of the things I've incorporated into a Homebrew campaign setting... because dragons influenced by celestial objects and traveling through space is 20 200% cooler than what most fantasy settings do.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: June 15, 2011, 12:57:17 am »

K, I just watched the first dozen or so.

I like it, but I don't care much for the cutesy-moral part at the end (granted, it IS a children's show, so everything has to work out at the end and everyone has to be friends). The humour is great tho. Loved the part where Shywossname started talking like Chef from South Park, and the zebra song.

This little screenie got me all WTF:

Bearded pony with chesthair... oookay.

But at least on this episode you get to see a less ridiculously tiny portion of male characters with talking parts and not being just comic relief like the dimwitted duo from that Super Amazing Awesome Magic Wizard... whatever that was. I get that it's meant for girls and intended for them to not really talk about McDreamy McHorse all day or whatever (if I wanted that I'd just watch club Winx... blech), but at least more males in the background that aren't all slowpoke draft horses would be nice once in a while.

Anyway, I'm gonna keep watching. Not thinkin' of becoming a "brony" anytime soon tho, I still prefer shows like Flapjack or Adventure Time... whatsitsname.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: June 15, 2011, 01:22:45 am »

More males that aren't all slowpoke draft horses would be nice once in a while.

Hoo boy, just wait till you get to the asshole pegasi.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 01:27:03 am by Sordid »

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: June 15, 2011, 02:00:15 am »

More males that aren't all slowpoke draft horses would be nice once in a while.

Hoo boy, just wait till you get to the asshole pegasi.

Through that whole episode, I kept expecting the one pegasus to call Rainbow Dash a dork.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: June 15, 2011, 02:37:37 am »

Ok, just finished Feeling Pinky thing, and I must say, I liked the Aesop there even less. I would call it a Broken Aesop or something.

It just had to be the mandatory "just because you don't understand it and it doesn't make any sense doesn't make it any less true" aesop that's in almost every kid's show telling people that some things are just supernatural (and I don't mean in the context of the show's fantasyland, but as an actual teaching to the people watching)

And with that, I'm done for the night  :P

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: June 15, 2011, 03:10:27 am »

This put the mental image of a dragon walking into a starship and taking off from Equestria to return to his homeworld. Do want.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 03:12:55 am by alway »

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: June 15, 2011, 03:17:09 am »

Ok, just finished Feeling Pinky thing, and I must say, I liked the Aesop there even less. I would call it a Broken Aesop or something.

It just had to be the mandatory "just because you don't understand it and it doesn't make any sense doesn't make it any less true" aesop that's in almost every kid's show telling people that some things are just supernatural (and I don't mean in the context of the show's fantasyland, but as an actual teaching to the people watching)

Yeah, I don't think anyone (at least here) liked that one very much. There's even a discussion about it earlier in this very thread, IIRC.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: June 15, 2011, 03:50:03 am »

Yeah, I don't think anyone (at least here) liked that one very much. There's even a discussion about it earlier in this very thread, IIRC.

Yep, ranted about that one already. There's a bunch of these broken aesops (TVTropes will ruin your vocabulary!) around. The message of Winter Wrap Up seems to be "if you suck at everything, go into management".
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 03:56:00 am by Sordid »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 283