Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What are the in-game effects of the various personality traits??  (Read 4889 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are the in-game effects of the various personality traits??
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 08:01:45 am »

The social ramifications of a dwarf with out-of-whack personality traits can be pretty amazing, especially if the traits themselves are the unfriendly and angry type.

I remember a story of a countess (or queen, or count's consort; some female immigrant nobility figure) back in 40d, who would constantly get into fistfights, throw tantrums, and hold grudges against damn near everyone, and got happy thoughts from her violent freak-outs and fighting.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 08:48:57 am »

Back in 40d I threw a handful of nobles in a dank cell and watched what happened.  The Countess had the personality trait 'quick to anger'.  She was constantly throwing tantrums, throwing things and smashing furniture and starting fights.  Oddly, this helped keep her alive - the minor joy she was getting from her tantrums kept her mood high enough to keep her from going insane.  Other dwarves in the same conditions went insane and died.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 09:21:23 am »

So if he wants to use this knowledge to mod his own race, it DOES belong to the Modding Questions thread, and a separate thread won't hurt.

Precisely.

I like to modify the game, but whenever I've made a custom race and tried to give them tendencies toward certain personalities I've been more-or-less in the dark in terms of whether the modified personality ranges had or will have the effect that I intended (or indeed, any effect at all), especially since there are several of my custom races that I have not yet had the chance to interact with in both Fortress Mode and Adventure Mode.

And also, will personality traits have any effect on creatures that aren't part of a civilization? Should I even bother with personality ranges for those? (and What about creatures that aren't necessarily part of civilization but have the potential to be due to the POWER or ENDING or DEMON_UNIQUE tokens; they definitely have nonstandard ranges for personality traits in the vanilla raws, but do those come into play at any time, or only if the creature joins a civilization?)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 04:05:57 am »

And also, will personality traits have any effect on creatures that aren't part of a civilization?

As stated earlier, anger has an effect on enraging. Some of the other tokens may or may not have an effect on morale and other such things.

Personally I'd encourage setting personality values for each and every creature simply just in case it has something of an effect - it'd certainly be better than leaving them undefined (assuming the perameters do have some effect on behaviour, any vanilla animal could be anything from a rampaging death machine to timid enough to be moralebroken by a passing cat).

tl;dr yes

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 05:08:24 am »

I know for a fact that the LIBERALISM trait determines if the get a happy thought or a negative thought of varying intensities from seeing a mayor or greater noble.
A programming easter egg? Imagine if a Dwarf Fortress version of Liberty Crime Squad was somehow hidden in Dwarf For- Oh wait... Adventure Mode.  :P

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 08:39:27 am »

Speaking of Adventure Mode, I'm pretty sure that either ADVENTUROUSNESS and/or EXCITEMENT_SEEKING affect a character's chances of agreeing to join you. BUT I'm not sure if they both do, and if they don't, which one does affect the chances, and if they both do then what's the difference between them?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 11:54:42 am »

Speaking of Adventure Mode, I'm pretty sure that either ADVENTUROUSNESS and/or EXCITEMENT_SEEKING affect a character's chances of agreeing to join you. BUT I'm not sure if they both do, and if they don't, which one does affect the chances, and if they both do then what's the difference between them?
I think adventurousness mostly influences how often do they change their living sites and pick professions like ranger and scout.

Also the WIKI has swapped info for ADVENTIROUSNESS and EXCITEMENT_SEEKING. Please switch their places.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 11:58:24 am »

You're right. I'm not sure how that one slipped under the radar, but it's been that way for quite some time.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 04:25:49 pm »

Also the WIKI has swapped info for ADVENTIROUSNESS and EXCITEMENT_SEEKING. Please switch their places.

Is there a reason why you couldn't?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 06:07:56 pm »

Does anybody know what EMOTIONALITY does. The wording for different levels of this personality trait are so strange that I can't even begin to guess what its even supposed to represent, much less what it actually does.

Also does anybody know what the difference between the ANXIETY and VULNERABILITY traits is? Their associated descriptions are nearly identical, for example, a creature whose ANXIETY score is 10-24% has the description "Has a very calm demeanor" whereas a creature whose ANXIETY score is 10-24% has the description "Is confident under pressure", things which are more or less synonymous. (I would assume that one affects the chance of some kind of nervous breakdown or something happening and the other affects severity or duration of said breakdown, but I can't begin to guess which is which* and or what kind of breakdown and furthermore this is, as I said, only a guess based on basically no data anyway)

*Actually I can begin to guess which is which. In the unlikely event that I have guessed correctly about the functions of these traits the VULNERABILITY trait would probably be the one that affects chance rather than duration.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 06:10:10 pm by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 11:09:36 pm »

Vulnerability is how well you keep your calm under pressure. Anxiety is how nervous you are, which needn't have to do with what actual pressure you're under. Obviously, these things are correlated, and the distinction isn't too well-defined here, but you can be essentially unaffected by stress but still anxious all the time in general, or be a very calm person who cracks easily under pressure.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 07:05:46 pm »

Does anybody know what INTELLECTUAL_CURIOSITY  does?
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2011, 10:03:17 pm »

Does anybody else have any info on this topic that hasn't been said yet?
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2011, 10:58:55 pm »

Does anybody know what INTELLECTUAL_CURIOSITY  does?

Surely it must do something...
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011, 03:02:23 am »

Dude, if nobody's posting, just let the thread go. Bumping it yourself twice in a row is sort of crass, especially when it's only been a day or two. And if nobody knows, nobody knows.
Pages: 1 [2] 3