Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: On the farming of Sea Serpents  (Read 123874 times)

Lortath

• Bay Watcher
  • Alway symmetric, alway perfect, alway.
    • View Profile
Re: On the farming of Sea Serpents
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 09:08:11 pm »

Beautiful,

Just beautiful...

Iced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 09:32:43 pm »

This is simply amazing.....

well done Sphalerite, you are a hero to us all.

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 09:39:29 pm »

This... is beautiful.

:'(

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 09:44:31 pm »

Nice.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 10:05:01 pm »

[what begins as a slow clap grows into a raucous !!standing ovation!!]

Bravo, bravo! It's beautiful! Truly a MASTERWORK! I dub thee, "Sphalerite, The Sea Serpents of Poaching" in recognition of your revolutionary development of the first dwarven serpents kennel.

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2011, 10:33:32 pm »

This is incredible. I was just waiting for someone to recreate mermaid farms. Very well done.

now you need a pit filled with 5/7 water and put serpents in it.  Then pit criminals there for executions.

Fixed that for you.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2011, 10:38:26 pm »

I like this thread.

DuckBoy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 12:03:50 am »

Any other secrets to chaining wildlife you've encountered?  My dwarves are too stupid to chain naked moledogs, and are consistently eaten by crocodiles, dralthas, and jabberers whenever I try to chain them.  My mermaid farm of 40d fell apart when I failed to chain my captured mermaids.  They would always escape, run off, and airdrown :( 

Like everyone else, I applaud you, and bow before the glorious RNG for not giving you 2 male sea serpents after what must have been many years of ocean draining. 

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 06:11:10 am »

*(Claps)* Encore

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011, 06:21:17 am »

How deep does the water need to be if sea serpents are going to survive in it? Just thinking you could wall off the ocean, breed tons of sea serpents and lightly flood the entire map every time there are goblins in order to devour them all alive... Couple that with what you're doing and I think that rates DDD. (For Dwarflike Dwarfy Dwarfiness)
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011, 07:13:58 am »

Oh my Armok.
So it is possible.
... can you do that with fire imps now?
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 08:36:47 am »

Any other secrets to chaining wildlife you've encountered?  My dwarves are too stupid to chain naked moledogs, and are consistently eaten by crocodiles, dralthas, and jabberers whenever I try to chain them.  My mermaid farm of 40d fell apart when I failed to chain my captured mermaids.  They would always escape, run off, and airdrown :( 
It seems to be pretty random whether a dwarf will succeed at chaining a wild animal.  I maximize the chances by having the cage and chain in adjacent tiles so the distance the sea serpent has to be transported is as short as possible.  To deal with the escaping and airdrowning issue I have the dwarf doing the chaining step on a pressure plate as he leaves, opening a floodgate that floods the sea serpent chamber with water, and opens a path to cage traps so that the sea serpent will be recaptured if it didn't get chained.

How deep does the water need to be if sea serpents are going to survive in it? Just thinking you could wall off the ocean, breed tons of sea serpents and lightly flood the entire map every time there are goblins in order to devour them all alive..
I don't know how deep the water needs to be for them to survive, but I do know that they won't ever voluntarily swim into water that's less than 7/7 deep.  Goblins may be able to survive and swim in 7/7 deep water.  I'm not sure that the sea serpents would actually attack them - they seem pretty timid and run away from dwarves and dogs.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 11:12:31 am »

By Armok, this is genius. I salute you, sir, and would, were this real life, treat you to a meal of dwarven ale and masterpiece puppy meat roasts.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2011, 11:28:48 am »

*picks up jaw off the floor.*

Words... cannot... describe... how... awesome... this... is...

jfsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2011, 12:11:32 pm »

Awesome.

Since you seem to be some kind of super-villain already, I think you should consider a large aquarium tank directly underneath the throne room, filled with sea serpents and sharks.  Turn invasions back on, trap some goblins, and see if you can "make them talk."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12