Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alternatives to Fraps.  (Read 1855 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Alternatives to Fraps.
« on: May 16, 2011, 12:18:47 am »

Because life advice sucks and this isn't quite Other games material, It goes here!

So I'm thinking of getting into making Video LPs so I can get some use out of my Youtube account. But Fraps... Dear god fraps. I understand the logic, but I can't really see myself managing multi gig video files over and over and over again. Is there an alternative that saves smaller videos? Or is less of a CPU hog?
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Alternatives to Fraps.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 10:58:44 am »

http://camstudio.org/

Latest beta + lossless compression (then you compress it with your favorite program before sending it).

The problem with video capture is that you could use a codec directly but keep in mind that the CPU load may affect lost frames.
So you record it in the biggest format you got, then recompress it. Anyway, lossless is still better than no compression at all.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 02:27:39 pm »

I went into this topic and expected the first answer to be Camstudio. Sure enough, it was! Nothing to see here, people. Move along.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 04:17:54 pm »

I have another one, though! Come back! :)

Taksi. the info page is a bit outdated (it does indeed record sound) and its not been updated in a while, but its decent, it seems to work for most things I've tried, and I like it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 06:27:28 pm »

I tried Taksi. For some reason it looked like whatever I recorded was an old TV with bad tuning.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 06:31:46 pm »

Which codec?
I've had fair sucess with ffdshow.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 07:00:54 pm »

Every codec I tried, even uncompressed and RLE...