Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #11: Feedback  (Read 35146 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarf Fortress Talk #11: Feedback
« on: February 22, 2011, 07:05:03 am »

The eleventh one has been posted.

Any comments about the format, content, quality, etc. of the call are welcome.  The voices on the other end were a little quiet so I hard-limited a little more than usual.  Might make it sound a little stuffy.  We ended up with a segment on personalities, some Q&A and lots of rambling on the upcoming releases, partly as a result of the editing delay (so there were some now-irrelevant things that I cut).

Ask questions via email (see this thread)!

edit: The transcripts by mallocks have been posted, available at the DF Talk page or here: Transcript
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 03:26:58 am by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #11: Feedback
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 08:18:40 am »

Yessss, new DFTalk. Preciouss....

Yeah, the sound's pretty echoey.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 08:22:01 am »

no problem with sound tbh, is "the next release" the people talk about 19?

also too bad you cut parts, i really like the voice sound of these people it is very calming

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 11:22:12 am »

I like the discussion on personailities. Is it all handled with tags at the moment, or are rpg style sliding scales used? It seems to me an rpg style system would work. so you could have scales for;

Proud - Humble :  a high proud score would make a character less interested in others views, and less easily influenced, but also unliked.
Elitist - empathetic : a high elitist score would make a character not like: other races, other civs, other professions, and possibly members of other families.
extrovert - introvert: introvert would make a better craftsman, and be made happy by doing craft work, extrovert would be more socially proficient
driven - appathetic : pretty self explanitory
materialistic - unmaterialistic : as above
conservative - impressionable: very conservative does not change in characteristics as easily as impressionable
Violent - pacifistic : how much fighting a character wants

each character could have a scale between 1-10 for each. The point on the scale could be shifted by events/circumstances. Either in game activity could key of the scales or tags could be come available when the scales are appropriate. e.g. if a character has driven of 8+, proud 7+, Elitist 6+ he or she would be allowed to gain the 'desires power tag'. Either the tag could be randomly triggered or event triggered. If in power, they could look for routes such as war, to extend their power. If not in power they could look for opportunities to cease power. To prevent lots of characters getting the 'desires power tag' your environment, possibly some genes etc would need to deterimine the characters stats sliders. So being of noble birth, having parents with high pride stats etc, having a few successes (e.g. killing something hard, forging an artifact), being elected or promoted to a position of influence, all could raise a characters proud and driven stats. Others such as extrovert and impressionable could determine (in terms of stats changes) the reaction of a character to an event. So if a dorf creates an artifact, if hes introvert, his driven may increase, but proud may stay level or decrease, as he's less prone to boast or seek recogintion from others. If hes very impressionable his stats may move more than if hes conservative. Being very impressionable could also cause his stats to be determined by his friends to an extent.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 11:33:05 am »

Tarn has such a lovely singing voice.

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 11:54:15 am »

as near as i can tell they are tags with numerical values, so yeah a sliding scale is used.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 12:03:02 pm »

Oh man I can't wait until I get home so I can listen to this D:
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 12:28:10 pm »

well got up do the whole father issue and yeah I agree it easier to become a father in adventure mode than to be a son... well unless you use a utility and swap to the son.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

helf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 01:05:58 pm »

yay! finally! *uploads to ipod*
YOUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, I got out of the map boundry!
OUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, a horrid monstrosity just migrated to my fortress! Let's recruit it!

Lord Herman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 01:19:10 pm »

Hooray, DF Talk is here again! Thanks, guys!

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 01:49:41 pm »

I will give it a listen!

Immacolata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 01:51:33 pm »

Great. I love these Fortress talks. Thanks.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 03:18:59 pm »

I think we're at the point, 11 DF Talks in, where the hosts should start moderating a bit more actively. Toady has a tendency to ramble and "waste" time explaining things all over, and there's also an increasing tendency to speak about things that were already covered in previous DF talks or forum posts.

It was still a pleasant thing to hear, and I'm grateful (thank you!). I just feel the number of "new content" is DF talks is gradually getting lower and lower.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 03:23:13 pm »

When I hit download, Firefox just gives me a black screen...

I really want to listen to this...

edit: ~problem solved! this is awesome
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 03:42:57 pm by darkrider2 »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 04:19:33 pm »

I think we're at the point, 11 DF Talks in, where the hosts should start moderating a bit more actively. Toady has a tendency to ramble and "waste" time explaining things all over, and there's also an increasing tendency to speak about things that were already covered in previous DF talks or forum posts.

I prefer a more natural mode of just free-talkin', but I can appreciate a more structured format.  I'll note that even organizing the Q&As and discussion topics with a sort of idea of what we'll be talking about requires a good amount of effort and 'off-screen' pauses while we try to figure out what we still need to cover.  As we edge into our second year, I'd be willing to experiment a bit to strike a good balance.

Edit:  There's a cool Easter Egg during the discussion about the eyeball grass; Capntastic makes a dumb joke and there's a very tangible awkward pause!  Things like Capntastic making bad jokes and mistakes in general are called called 'breaking character'.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 04:24:21 pm by Capntastic »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5