Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The Economy  (Read 11960 times)

Unfrozen Caveman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Economy
« on: February 24, 2011, 04:15:10 pm »

My concerns are with both the interdwarf economy and with trading with outsiders.  I'm a fairly new player and have only read about the broken dwarf economy.  As everyone probably knows, the dwarfbuck system of valuation is nothing like the real-life economics.  Goods are valued for their marginal utility, such that the value of one steel battle axe to Urist McAxedwarf depends on how many battle axes he already has.  If he has none, obtaining one should be one of his top priorities (how else could he call himself an axedwarf).  If he has one, obtaining a second should not be a priority at all unless he's got some sort of hoarding quirk.  The same thing should work for caravans such that demand for the nth dolomite mug is basically zero.

On embark, the interdwarf economy is basically a command economy, with each dwarf owning only the clothes he's wearing.  Other items belong to the group.  Pets are quickly and expressly adopted.  This makes sense and is as it should be.  It's not clear how to tell when a miner decides that he owns the pick in his hand.  The game tells me that my legendary miner owns 31 objects, but I see no way to fix that.  A dwarf should probably decide that's his pick after carrying it around for some time, and I think the player should be alerted when this happens.  There should be a way to assign items to specific dwarves and to mark items/rooms/buildings as available or unavailable just like you can with puppies.  A grumpy mood may compel a dwarf to take an object marked as unavailable, just as it may compel him to take something that belongs to another dwarf.  Doing either is a crime and deserves punishment.

Content dwarves should claim available consumer items that they value, with the value being determined by their own wants and how well those wants are already met.  The dwarf who likes dogs the most should not feel compelled to adopt all 10 puppies I just made available.  A dwarf who likes donkeys for their stubbornness should be made happy by having a room with an engraving of one on the wall, but 10 engravings of donkeys in his room should not have 10x the effect or even any additional effect at all.  The story might be different for a dwarf who is obsessed with donkeys.

I like the idea of dwarves being able to own workshops.  Ownership could be player directed or could come from working in the shop for a few years and obtaining legendary status in the relevant labor.  Once a dwarf owns a workshop he can make objects for himself or to trade with other dwarves or give away as he sees fit.  If he really likes making figurines, he might make them for fun.  This could be a very unwelcome feature if the player loses control of owned shops, but it allows for dwarves to meet each others needs and for multi-stage production - Urist McGemsetter pays Urist McMason to make thrones that he later intends to encrust.  Once dwarves start claiming ownership of shops it may be necessary to pay all the other dwarves for their labor and military service so they can afford to buy things.  If the player has coins minted, these should, of course, default to unavailable except that nobility may take them to buy whatever crap they like or maybe even just to hoard them.  There should be multiple ways to distribute coins to the normal dwarves including wages for labor, a one-time equal allocation to each dwarf, welfare for invalids, etc.  The player can then get the coins back through room rents, pole taxes, or *gasp* sales taxes.  Otherwise, the player would be forced to perpetually inflate the money supply leading to hyperinflation and dwarves would spend most of their time minting coins and hauling them around.

Failing to pay may taxes may be treated as a crime like it is in the US or like a civil matter as it is in civilizedother countries.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: The Economy
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 05:57:23 pm »

Well, since nobody else seems to be stepping up to comment on this...

For starters, it's worth pointing out that this game is supposed to be getting a major overhaul to its economic system very soon, which has been removed in preparation for the grand re-opening of the system.  The entire mineral scarcity of 31.19 is just a precursor to setting up global trading networks, and the economy is going to be built up from there.

Toady has talked about putting in supply and demand and such, although it's not perfectly clear what he has planned, exactly.

Beyond that, keep in mind that this is a HEAVILY discussed topic, and has been for years:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=74616.msg1862846#msg1862846
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=70964.msg1728706#msg1728706
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=69644.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61620.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73885.msg1833680#msg1833680
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=71259.msg1736829#msg1736829
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=23965.msg1564560#msg1564560
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=47685.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31736.msg446417#msg446417

This is just what I got off of searching for "economy" for the first few pages of hits before I got bored, and the thing stopped at 1000 hits.

Basically, I think it's worth just waiting and seeing what Toady actually does now that he's actually put his focus on the subject, since there's been plenty of suggestions thrown out there for Toady to chew on over the years.  For all we know, he'll address all your concerns. 

Trust me, the forums will explode with debate whenever the new economics system is thrown in, and everyone will be all-too-happy to throw their ideas for how to improve the system around when it first comes out, the way that the mineral scarcity caused the forums to explode when 31.19 came out.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 08:55:10 pm »

Theres X stages of participation in the suggestions forum.

Stage 1:  Suggest Gunpowder
Stage 2:  Try to use the search function but fail, suggest Steam power
Stage 3:  Angrilly yell at people for failing to search, sarcastically posting searches you just did
Stage 4:  Start Megathread collecting all aspect of suggestions concerning a certain topic (often writing 3/4ths yourself)
Stage 5:  Politely post links you've searched to threads of people who've failed to search, explaining the topic has been covered
Stage 6:  Angrilly post a link to the time you said what you had to say about the topic last year
Stage 7:  Ignore duplicate posts, including the long duplicate discussions

EDIT:  Not that I don't appreciate the work you're doing
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 08:59:33 pm by Granite26 »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 09:27:17 pm »

You assume everyone reacts the same way.

I never suggested gunpowder or steampower :P

Plus, I started responding angry, and have gotten myself to become more calm and polite.

I started in the Modding Forum, and moved over to the Suggestions Forum, since I like the ability to debate over here, more.

I defy all your norms, you silly normative Norm!
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 12:26:10 am »

Crazy Idea, and maybe I should make my own thread for it, But instead of tracking coins, could the game instead track transactions?
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 12:28:51 am »

You expected extensive comments on Generic Economy Opinion Thread #92?

Unfrozen Caveman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 02:41:40 am »

For starters, it's worth pointing out that this game is supposed to be getting a major overhaul to its economic system very soon, which has been removed in preparation for the grand re-opening of the system.  The entire mineral scarcity of 31.19 is just a precursor to setting up global trading networks, and the economy is going to be built up from there.

Actually, I just read through that page and, while I generally like what I see, there are things I want that aren't there.  That motivated me to express my wishes.  I didn't see any active threads on dwarven economy and thought I'd try to start one. 

Toady has talked about putting in supply and demand and such, although it's not perfectly clear what he has planned, exactly.

Right, and not knowing what's coming, I fear that it might not work again.  I hope I'm not inviting economic debate by saying this, but the fundamental driving force of an economy is demand.  The game should reflect this such that dwarves (and outsiders) strive to meet their most basic needs (immediate survival - fight or flight) and once those are met they worry about the next level of needs (short-term survival not dying of thirst or hunger), and so on until they have no material worries and focus more on spiritual or philosophical matters.  I'm thinking of something like this: Maslows hierarchy of needs, but something based on dwarves instead of humans.  This could mean that dwarves who have everything they could ever want focus on things that actually make them unhappy or how their spouse is probably not the best they could do.

So yeah, I've been thinking about the whole happiness system because demand is driven by our wanting to be happy, though getting what we think we want often doesn't actually make us happier.  Really, I would ultimately like to see the dwarfbuck system completely replaced with something more realistic for both economic valuation and for effects on happiness.

I've spent many years learning about and contemplating the implications of economic theory and have an extreme interest in evolutionary psychology.  Dwarves are not humans, so they may honestly be so impressed and pleased by waterfalls and ruby-encrusted chert thrones that they don't care about their dead babies, but then they do enter strange moods from time to time...

Beyond that, keep in mind that this is a HEAVILY discussed topic, and has been for years:

[links]

Yes, I will check into those threads.  I thought I'd throw out my ideas while they're still fresh. 

Unfrozen Caveman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 04:39:21 am »

Crazy Idea, and maybe I should make my own thread for it, But instead of tracking coins, could the game instead track transactions?

Dwarves don't have debit cards.  I understand that the coin system, as it was, didn't work that well, but if dwarves were able to carry a significant amount coins on their person and if a single bin could hold 100,000 coins or some other large number, it could work quite well.

Also, minting coins doesn't have to be necessary to use them if the coinage of the mountainhome can be obtained by trading with the dwarves.

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 04:49:58 am »

Dwarves don't have debit cards.  I understand that the coin system, as it was, didn't work that well, but if dwarves were able to carry a significant amount coins on their person and if a single bin could hold 100,000 coins or some other large number, it could work quite well.

Also, minting coins doesn't have to be necessary to use them if the coinage of the mountainhome can be obtained by trading with the dwarves.

Problem wasn't number of coins, it was stacks. The problem persists, in adventure mode. buy and sell things a few times, see what happens.

And while they don't have debit cards, they do have purses... if the purse has a "balance", and just tracks transactions, the only time you'd need to deal with stacks of coins is when they were minted.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 10:49:51 am »

The problem with coins is that each stack of coins that is minted has a specific set of data associated with it.  You have something random minted on the face of each coin, where the coin comes from, when it was minted, etc.

This means that if you spend some of those coins, it doesn't become just another gold coin in the pocket of the merchant, no, it has to be tracked completely separately from every other coin that merchant has because it has a totally different thing stamped on the face of the coin and where it was minted, and other bits of data to track. 

Give that stack of 500 coins a chance to circulate, and you wind up with individual coins being kept separate from all other coins.  Oh, and even worse, they can't be stacked together with other coins in containers, so your fortress just becomes littered with individual coins taking up entire tiles of the floor, each belonging to a different person. 

Even if a dwarf manages to find two coins that came from the same stack in the first place, there's no way to consolidate those coins back into a single stack of coins.

And then, dwarves have to carry those coins.  And they can only carry one item at a time.

Basically, letting dwarves have coins shut down your entire fortress as dwarves started walking back and forth carrying individual coins from the floor of the dining room around to buy a single plump helmet, and then toss the plump helmet spawn on the floor, because nobody can be bothered to pick up the tremendous amount of trash strewn about your fortress.

Hence, nobody minted coins.  Dwarves still had their magical invisible credit cards, where they simply were attributed a certain amount of wealth by the fortress for having done so much work, and that actually worked somewhat as an economic model, although having artificially fixed pricing on everything kept everything problematic.

Basically, it just wasn't a terribly good system.

I've spent many years learning about and contemplating the implications of economic theory and have an extreme interest in evolutionary psychology.  Dwarves are not humans, so they may honestly be so impressed and pleased by waterfalls and ruby-encrusted chert thrones that they don't care about their dead babies, but then they do enter strange moods from time to time...

Well, I had a discussion about that earlier, in the Class Warfare thread and the spin-off I, Dwarfbot discussion about maknig dwarves have more complex personalities and autonomy so that the economy could be made more meaningful.

Thing is, you have to make dwarves more autonomous and have more complex demands and desires to make them more capable of participating in the economy.  Otherwise, they're just buying rock mugs because they have rock mugs in their preferences screen, and then throw them on their floors and never touch them again.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Unfrozen Caveman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 03:07:43 pm »

The problem with coins is that each stack of coins that is minted has a specific set of data associated with it.  You have something random minted on the face of each coin, where the coin comes from, when it was minted, etc.

This means that if you spend some of those coins, it doesn't become just another gold coin in the pocket of the merchant, no, it has to be tracked completely separately from every other coin that merchant has because it has a totally different thing stamped on the face of the coin and where it was minted, and other bits of data to track. 

Give that stack of 500 coins a chance to circulate, and you wind up with individual coins being kept separate from all other coins.  Oh, and even worse, they can't be stacked together with other coins in containers, so your fortress just becomes littered with individual coins taking up entire tiles of the floor, each belonging to a different person. 

Even if a dwarf manages to find two coins that came from the same stack in the first place, there's no way to consolidate those coins back into a single stack of coins.

And then, dwarves have to carry those coins.  And they can only carry one item at a time.

Basically, letting dwarves have coins shut down your entire fortress as dwarves started walking back and forth carrying individual coins from the floor of the dining room around to buy a single plump helmet, and then toss the plump helmet spawn on the floor, because nobody can be bothered to pick up the tremendous amount of trash strewn about your fortress.

While hilarious, that's a mess that should not be repeated.  Coins should be nearly invisible to the player.  A dwarf should be able to "wear" them like clothes and not have to haul them like they're furniture.  One copper Kivish should not be any different from another.

Reading into some of the threads you linked to, I see players sharing ideas to make coins useful, while I'm thinking the other way around.  Money facilitates trade, so dwarves should have money.

Hence, nobody minted coins.  Dwarves still had their magical invisible credit cards, where they simply were attributed a certain amount of wealth by the fortress for having done so much work, and that actually worked somewhat as an economic model, although having artificially fixed pricing on everything kept everything problematic.

Basically, it just wasn't a terribly good system.

Fixed pricing breaks the system.  I mean, players should maybe be able to set prices on certain things, but interdwarf trade should be based on prices achieved through market clearing.

Well, I had a discussion about that earlier, in the Class Warfare thread and the spin-off I, Dwarfbot discussion about maknig dwarves have more complex personalities and autonomy so that the economy could be made more meaningful.

Thing is, you have to make dwarves more autonomous and have more complex demands and desires to make them more capable of participating in the economy.  Otherwise, they're just buying rock mugs because they have rock mugs in their preferences screen, and then throw them on their floors and never touch them again.

Of course.  A dwarf should buy a good or take any autonomous action to achieve his most important unmet want that he can do anything about.  If he wants a rock mug, buying one should satisfy whatever desire made him want it, and obtaining another one should be much less important.

I like a lot of your ideas, particularly about dwarves comparing their wealth to other dwarves.  I think priorities should look something like this:

1. Immediate danger - keeping a safe distance from a GCS is more important than picking up the sock of the dwarf it just killed
2. Hunger/Thirst - when building a wall, make sure you end up on the side that has food and drink on it
3. Security - a dwarf that afraid to fall asleep (whether his fear is of a real or imagined threat) is an unhappy dwarf
4. Basic socialization - An ostracized dwarf is an unhappy dwarf.  A dwarf whose husband just died or cheated on her (if that were to ever be part of the game) is an unhappy dwarf.  Spending time alone may or may not make a dwarf unhappy, depending on mentality
5. Basic preferences and comfort - drinking preferred booze, eating preferred food, sleeping in a bed, having a table to eat on, not being covered in vomit
6. Labor
7. Aesthetics, entertainment, waterfalls, relative wealth, and meaningful social interaction - Most of the things that players do to make dwarves happy would go here, and they should have little impact on happiness if more important needs aren't met
8. Stuff that really doesn't matter at all - The dwarf who has everything can invent things to worry about, decide that life has no meaning.  Nobles make pointless mandates just to feel important.

Adventurous dwarves and soldiers should be relatively immune to worrying about their safety and comfort. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 03:11:38 pm by Unfrozen Caveman »

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 03:30:11 pm »

1. Immediate danger - keeping a safe distance from a GCS is more important than picking up the sock of the dwarf it just killed
2. Hunger/Thirst - when building a wall, make sure you end up on the side that has food and drink on it
3. Security - a dwarf that afraid to fall asleep (whether his fear is of a real or imagined threat) is an unhappy dwarf
4. Basic socialization - An ostracized dwarf is an unhappy dwarf.  A dwarf whose husband just died or cheated on her (if that were to ever be part of the game) is an unhappy dwarf.  Spending time alone may or may not make a dwarf unhappy, depending on mentality
5. Basic preferences and comfort - drinking preferred booze, eating preferred food, sleeping in a bed, having a table to eat on, not being covered in vomit
6. Labor
7. Aesthetics, entertainment, waterfalls, relative wealth, and meaningful social interaction - Most of the things that players do to make dwarves happy would go here, and they should have little impact on happiness if more important needs aren't met
8. Stuff that really doesn't matter at all - The dwarf who has everything can invent things to worry about, decide that life has no meaning.  Nobles make pointless mandates just to feel important.

If even one of these suggestions were implemented, it would cease to be DF. SOCKS ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT THING EVER!

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 04:28:00 pm »

6. Labor

If even one of these suggestions were implemented, it would cease to be DF. SOCKS ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT THING EVER!

LOCK THE THREAD BEFORE THIS BLASPHEMY CORRUPTS THE MINDS OF OTHERS.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 05:32:58 pm »

Still, yeah. Overall it makes a lot more sense in a game that's meant to be about obsessive detail to ditch all the data about coins in favour of making them necessary for all purchases. Having to mint coins with each migrant to keep plump helmet costs down (or making sure your tax-collector is honest enough to do the same rather than line his own pockets) is a much more entertaining trick than giving your dorfs invisible credit cards and one-tile "bedrooms" outside.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 07:47:45 pm by Waparius »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 05:36:04 pm »

You may find this unfortunate, but coins are half-finished features, and half-finished features tend not to be removed.  They're left in until they get finished.  I for one would be pretty sad to see coins take a step backwards and become less awesome.  Though yeah it would be nice to see them handled better.

Coins can't be easily handled at all without a better hauling system.  Dwarves are quite dumb about what errands they take and when, so having to pay for things would slow down everything immensely as they zigzag from one end of the fort to another--even if the coins aren't "real", they would still need to visit someone to "give" them "money".

Also, I dunno about the whole Maslow thing.  None of your dwarves are truly civilians, after all.  It's a small outpost, dwarves know they are risking death, they don't expect to be perfectly content.  And are you telling me that a beautiful site displaying the splendor of your civilization WON'T inspire a starving dwarf to press on in the face of adversity?  Yeah, he'll still go after food, but aesthetics is a higher ideal that men have risked their lives--and died--for.

Still there are indeed some major issues with economy that I hope to see sorted out.  Like prices being based on added value.  For a material that is universally workable (leather, cloth, etc), creating a standard-quality object from it should generally make it worth no more than the original object, and perhaps less, since now you can't make a better object from the original material.  It's dumb that you can set up five clothiers' workshops around your trade depot, buy all the elves' cloth, tell dabblers to make terrible clothes, and sell them back for a profit.  Scarcity obviously comes into it too, yeah.  If you have the only legendary leatherworker on the continent, masterwork stuff is very valuable.  If your buyers have a ton of high master leatherworkers, fine-quality stuff is much less than worthless to them.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4