Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 31

Author Topic: GearHead 2 - Mecha Roguelike  (Read 53816 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GearHead 2 - Mecha Roguelike
« Reply #210 on: April 03, 2011, 12:31:46 pm »

Craft is actually pretty important in mecha battle, since it controls spot weakness and electronic warfare. Reflex controls pilot and the smaller mecha weapons, perception the larger. Speed is used for initiative, which is more important then in GH1 since you can travel multiple squares a turn, whereas in GH1 massive mecha speed meant you could fire faster since you could only go one square a turn.

Charm is pretty much worthless in combat. Knowledge is used for engineering and probably something else. Ego is really important, since it powers intimidation and that can get you lots of free mecha, as well as eliminating combatants earlier in combat.

Oh, a point in conversation and shopping will net you tons of free experience even with low charm, since you'll be chatting and shopping all the time.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • You can run but you can't die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 03, 2011, 01:01:53 pm »

So I was promoted to private in the rocket stars and I was given a 'custom assassin haiho' equipped with a rocket hammer, flash bombs, and an ink rifle... I'm not sure if this is an improvement over my war cry or a step down. Thoughts?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 03, 2011, 01:12:09 pm »

The flash bombs and ink rifle blind mechs, but no clue if that is fully implemented or not. However, everyone else in the thread seems to be having great results with the Haiho. If its custom, its probably better then a standard unmodified warcry.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 03, 2011, 01:18:27 pm »

The Warcry sucks.  Really, the mech is quite lousy.  The only benefit of the Warcry is the awesome Railgun that comes with it.

The Haiho is quite a powerful little mech, about as survivable as a Buru Buru, but with decent MV and TR for such a cheap and strong mech.

Haiho + Railgun = WIN!

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 03, 2011, 01:32:12 pm »

Really? Then I'll try and find a new mech on my latest game. I found a mint condition Skybolt rifle, which can cause a haywire overload status effect. Should I try this over the starting railgun?

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 03, 2011, 01:38:00 pm »

Hey, I'm having a bit of a problem with starting out (again). I hear all these rumors concerning jobs, including the easy fungal extermination jobs but when I approach them asking for work, they keep turning me down or claiming they don't know anything, and I run into this problem ALOT, it's rare that I'll be able to convince them to give me a job. What can I do to convince them?

When asking around for jobs, don't neglect the "I just want to chat" options.  Those actually mean "I want a job", but they use different skills/stats than the other options.  I'm pretty sure you'll always get at least one option tied to skills (mostly Conversation) and one option tied to reputation (likely to fail early on).

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 03, 2011, 02:31:18 pm »

When asking around for jobs, don't neglect the "I just want to chat" options.  Those actually mean "I want a job", but they use different skills/stats than the other options.  I'm pretty sure you'll always get at least one option tied to skills (mostly Conversation) and one option tied to reputation (likely to fail early on).

Doing some experimenting with the Shift + R menu and conversation makes me believe that 'I just want to chat' is Conversation + Charm while the option to straight up ask for a job is tied to Ego + Intimidation. If Reputation is tied into it, it must not show up.

On a fun little note, when you get a good amount of renown, use 'I'm <x>, ace pilot from <x> Spinner!' when it shows up to make people like you ALOT. It makes me feel so important  :P
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 03, 2011, 03:17:56 pm »

Doing some experimenting with the Shift + R menu and conversation makes me believe that 'I just want to chat' is Conversation + Charm while the option to straight up ask for a job is tied to Ego + Intimidation. If Reputation is tied into it, it must not show up.

Maybe I'm wrong.  I could've sworn jobs become easier to come by as your rep improves, regardless of those skills/stats.

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 03, 2011, 04:38:41 pm »

I'm doing fairly alright now, getting some salvaged mechs for once instead of reducing them to scrap; I'm succeeding at a fair number of missions; won two arena fights so far at Yatate; I'm now trying to find an escaped prisoner as well as trying to save the cavalier club; but the missions are seeing three mechs now as opposed to two or one. Are there any spinners which have a guaranteed lancemate available for hire or one where lancemates-for-hire are most often seen?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 03, 2011, 05:49:06 pm »

So what's with all the rumors about so-and-so being on patrol while enjoying a fortune cookie? I guessed that they were empty rumors (you got a success, but the the person doesn't know anything), but then why does the protagonist keep track of them?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 03, 2011, 05:53:06 pm »

Nope, they're actual people out on patrol. Police officers and the like. They might attack you if you're a criminal or a member of an enemy faction.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 03, 2011, 06:41:28 pm »

But... they aren't actually "people" though. You can't, for example, go talk to them in search of work or rumors, right?
(also what about cookie loving people? can you get something out of them with mysticism skill or something?)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 03, 2011, 06:47:50 pm »

Yes, they're actual people. When they're not on patrol you can find them on the spinner.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 03, 2011, 07:04:42 pm »

But... they aren't actually "people" though. You can't, for example, go talk to them in search of work or rumors, right?
(also what about cookie loving people? can you get something out of them with mysticism skill or something?)

The "nonsense rumors", like the ones about fortune cookies, actually tell you something about the NPC.  If they like fortune cookies, it means they're more spiritual than pragmatic.  NPCs supposedly like you more if your personality traits match theirs (bonus to chat rolls or something).  Their random chatter, including the questions often asked on first meeting a particular NPC, also reflect their traits.

Also, your responses to those questions affect the PC's personality, which has actual game effects.  I know personality affects martial arts attacks (with actual combat effects, not just different attack names) and cyberware.  High pragmatism helps protect against cyberdisfunctions.  At least it used to.  That may have changed.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #224 on: April 03, 2011, 10:32:11 pm »

The fortune cookie one is actually nothing to do with personality, it just means they have a tidbit of info to give you (stuff from PLOT_FortuneCookie.txt). Basic advice like:

"If you specialize in armed combat, you might want to think about getting a boomerang or a spear so you'll have a missile attack which uses your best skill."

and humorous (yet true!) stuff like:

"If you would be a great warrior, you must battle through the cave naked, armed only with a toothpick."

Some of it tells you things you can do in an indirect way, like:

"Scientists spend too much time looking at rocks." (you can use science on rocks to inspect them for valuable minerals)

I just had the most epic mission. One of the plot missions where I have to invade a lab to steal the enemy's secret mecha design. It was a basic combat mission in person where I had to fight my way through their lab, activate several computers to activate the mech, release the mech, open the bay doors, etc, then run to the mecha bay to steal the bot. Only most of this stuff was behind secret doors, and after activating everything I couldnt find the mecha bay itself. While searching for it an npc with a rocket launcher attacked me, and this set fire to the building (it was a space lab, but I guess all the walls and floor were flammable). Soon the entire place was a raging inferno, with me dodging fires and running ahead of the fire frantically searching for the mecha bay. All the monsters were burning to death, and all the walls were burning down and turning into walkable tiles.

I eventually had to double back (I ran out of map, EVERYTHING was on fire except the tiny bit of space I was in) and sprint through the fire. I emerged on the other side (apparently after it burnt up, it was safe to walk on - weird green looking tiles after the fire had finished with it) with only 2 hp left and my armor was pretty much shot from the burning. Safely on the other side, I walked to the places I hadn't explored yet on the map (and could not access before due to not finding the secret door) and found the mecha bay tucked into a corner as a free standing door with all the walls around it burnt up. I never did find that secret door, but mission success! It gave me a pretty badass dueling Vadel worth over 1 mil with a "master cannon" gun. DC9x10, 32-64-96 range, ACC:+2, SPD:3, 50 ammo, overload, armorpiercing, and antiair.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 31