Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 31

Author Topic: GearHead 2 - Mecha Roguelike  (Read 53825 times)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GearHead 2 - Mecha Roguelike
« Reply #240 on: April 04, 2011, 09:09:15 pm »

I also have a question: what does "DISINTEGRATE" do?

It's a better version of BURN, basically.  I think it might only work on metal targets, and maybe biotech too.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 04, 2011, 09:32:00 pm »

the question is: is it worth 1000$ per shot?
(a lot of late game weapon suffer from this, it seems: you get a cool weapon, test it out on a routine mission, and end up leaving most of your reward as a refill fee) ((And unlike GH1, salvage rights are more or less worthless))
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 04, 2011, 09:45:35 pm »

By reducing the value of salvage without reducing the reload cost of ammunition (which doesn't need to match its original sale price -- this is a game, after all), JH shifted game balance to favor beam weapons a bit more.  If you can't afford a ballistic- or missile-heavy mecha, try using more beam weapons.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #243 on: April 04, 2011, 10:39:01 pm »

Some of the weapons get the bonuses on the gun itself rather than the ammo, that way it doesn't cost so much to reload. I've been using guns with an innate armor piercing bonus. The guns are really expensive because they give a big accuracy bonus, are long range, and are armor piercing - but the ammo is incredibly cheap.

If someone wanted to they could mod the game to add the special properties of different weapons onto the gun itself, which would make the ammo cost less but leave the functioning of the weapon the same. I don't think that trick would work with missiles though, or at least if it did it would make reloads extremely easy since you could fire any old missile out of a HYPER nuclear launcher and have it work as a nuke :)
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Budikah

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 04, 2011, 10:49:27 pm »

Some of the weapons get the bonuses on the gun itself rather than the ammo, that way it doesn't cost so much to reload. I've been using guns with an innate armor piercing bonus. The guns are really expensive because they give a big accuracy bonus, are long range, and are armor piercing - but the ammo is incredibly cheap.

If someone wanted to they could mod the game to add the special properties of different weapons onto the gun itself, which would make the ammo cost less but leave the functioning of the weapon the same. I don't think that trick would work with missiles though, or at least if it did it would make reloads extremely easy since you could fire any old missile out of a HYPER nuclear launcher and have it work as a nuke :)

Completely unrelated, Paul, could you please PM me?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 05, 2011, 02:29:58 am »

I also have a question: what does "DISINTEGRATE" do?

It's a better version of BURN, basically.  I think it might only work on metal targets, and maybe biotech too.
I think disintegrate is an armor ignoring attack. Not sure though.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 05, 2011, 02:48:16 am »

I think disintegrate is an armor ignoring attack. Not sure though.

ARMORIGNORE (or whatever it's called) is a separate trait.  It's disgustingly powerful, too.  IIRC it adds a huge value (20-ish?) to penetration, resulting in something disgusting like triple damage.  That's in addition to ignoring armor.

IIRC you only need 4 penetration to fully ignore armor.  1 penetration ignores 50% of the outermost layer of armor (layers being equipped and internal, so at most two layers), 2 ignores one whole layer, 3 ignores 50% of the second layer if one exists, and 4 ignores all armor.  Additional penetration adds +X% damage (additive, so 3 extra pen adds +3X%).  I could be a bit off with those numbers.  It may ignore 25% armor per point, not 50%.

Also, fun fact:  For every few points an attack roll succeeds by, it gets +1 penetration.  That's how skill affects damage, discounting Sniper.  Skill also affects BLAST and SCATTER attack damage, but I don't know how that works.  Those hit so easily that I suspect you don't have to actually "hit" to cause damage.  Low rolls probably just reduce damage, to zero if you miss by too much.

I'm pretty sure that's how it used to work, anyway.  It's probably still true.  You can check the source code if you really want to know.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 05, 2011, 09:34:43 am »

But... they aren't actually "people" though. You can't, for example, go talk to them in search of work or rumors, right?

Actually, you can.  On the Station Exterior map, you may see a blue circle thingy.  Approach and press talk.  I believe they will occasionally give you the option to ask about work.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 05, 2011, 11:47:05 am »

It's weird. I loved GH1, but I went back and tried to play it, and it seems so much slower and less forgiving then GH2. They really did an amazing job streamlining everything for GH2.

Edit: If your having trouble with personal scale missions, either pick up a Smart rocket rifle with various ammo, or a shotgun of some sort with incendiary ammo. It turns a shotgun into a flamethrower.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 12:20:00 pm by beorn080 »
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #249 on: April 05, 2011, 06:31:27 pm »

GH2 does have some nice features. I especially like the rumor system where it saves your rumors and you just ask specifically for rumors.

GH2 got kinda boring for me pretty quick though. It just doesn't have enough content implemented yet, and many things are really unbalanced. I can't wait for the next release, I think its supposed to be a big balancing patch.

I keep finding new plots and stuff in GH1 that I missed the first time I played it.

Hahaha. In Gearhead 1 I just had a mission against a bounty hunter against me, who turned out to be pretty nasty. I killed him and his lance, but he managed to take out both my mecha's legs and I didn't have any hoverjets or anything placed elsewhere. So it put me on the worldmap on foot. I tried to enter town to get my mecha repaired (I had just run out of mecha repair supplies) and got attacked by mecha.

So there I was on foot vs two BuruBurus. I'm running around with a monosword, a set of light armor (armorweave clothes, heavy elbow/knee pads, light combat helmet), and a large shield. They seem completely unable to hit me, luckily since one shot would have likely done me in. I slowly hacked apart their mecha with my monosword. I got over 10k experience from it.

My new favorite way to gain xp in Gearhead: fight giant robots while on foot with a sword.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 11:58:50 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 06, 2011, 01:13:33 am »

Watch out for BLAST missiles and forest fires.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 06, 2011, 06:32:54 am »

Only YOU can prevent BLAST missiles.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 06, 2011, 02:25:42 pm »

Do implants add tens or hundreds of thousands of credits to your character's personal PV? And does that mean that if you get them you can forget about easy XP?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 06, 2011, 03:04:09 pm »

Do implants add tens or hundreds of thousands of credits to your character's personal PV? And does that mean that if you get them you can forget about easy XP?

Yes, last I knew.  I usually remove that feature and recompile, though I haven't bothered doing so with the current version.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 06, 2011, 04:57:10 pm »

Well, I had an interesting experience with my first lancemate this run.

Going about my business, killing mechs, when he takes me to a scrap heap. Sounds cool, like scrap, some interesting stuff including a gun that shoots steel I beams evidently, not as good as you would think but still cool. He picks up Jack of All Trades from this event, which is pretty sweet since it lets me do everything without blowing my own talent on it.

Evidently JoAT lets you earn XP in skills you haven't learned yet. He started with 9/9 skills, he currently has 24 different skills, actually pretty good in a lot of them for never having used them, and it takes 465 xp to take Toughness from rank 1 to rank 2. For an example of pretty good skill level for not starting with it, Survival is level 2, Science, Stealth, and Shopping are all level 3, Code Breaking is at level 5, heck he even has mysticism at level 2. I'm actually getting the impression that JoAT gives access to a seriously large xp pool that you'd otherwise miss without it, since he almost has as much total XP as my main pilot.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 31