Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 31

Author Topic: GearHead 2 - Mecha Roguelike  (Read 53520 times)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: GearHead 2 - Mecha Roguelike
« Reply #300 on: April 10, 2011, 10:44:18 pm »

Yeah Hull Down is probably useless.

Sniper might be a skill you like, though.

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 10, 2011, 10:49:13 pm »

Hard as Nails would be useful, but I dont have any ranks in resistance to get it. I only have something like 14 or 16 hp anyways atm though, so I avoid personal combat when I can.

Already have Sniper, was my first pick :D

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about Hull Down. Its a shame the environments are not more varied, I've always liked the ideal of walking/tracked mechs over flying ones.

I may have to settle for polymath...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 10:50:54 pm by Grimshot »
My personality profile.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 10, 2011, 10:50:50 pm »

Or you could wait and get something later.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 10, 2011, 10:51:51 pm »

I thought Born to Fly didn't work in space? If it does...wow, that's broken.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 10, 2011, 10:52:17 pm »

If you like driving and running around, try gearhead 1. Its based on earth rather then in orbit, so all the missions are on the ground.

Also, Stunt Driving. Doubled chances for dodging is quite nice.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 10, 2011, 10:57:01 pm »

While I haven't really tested the talent, combat in space does not include evasion bonuses for "flying", so it's likely that it doesn't work there.

Does anybody else love pirate mecha? Dao Deoji, Bargol, Harkney, Gorilla - neither is streamlined like e.g. the Savin, but boy, do they have some character.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 10, 2011, 10:58:38 pm »

I'm hunting for a Corriach myself.

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 10, 2011, 11:04:51 pm »

Checked Stunt Driving on the GHwiki, I'm not speedy enough for that though it does look pretty good.
My personality profile.

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 10, 2011, 11:07:42 pm »

While I haven't really tested the talent, combat in space does not include evasion bonuses for "flying", so it's likely that it doesn't work there.

Does anybody else love pirate mecha? Dao Deoji, Bargol, Harkney, Gorilla - neither is streamlined like e.g. the Savin, but boy, do they have some character.

I captured a Gaunt on a protect the convoy mission, they were really hard to hit but when I did hit them... well lets just say there was a reason it was intact. Makes me too paranoid to use it.
My personality profile.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 10, 2011, 11:11:50 pm »

Gaunts are amazing. If the Reflex System were a proper, installable, item, a heavily-modded Gaunt would probably be able to beat a Pixie.

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 10, 2011, 11:15:08 pm »

Well, maybe I should tinker with it then. Still worried I will be cruising around and get my cockpit blown up/one shotted though lol.

Need to switch from my War Cry sometime after all.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:18:15 pm by Grimshot »
My personality profile.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #311 on: April 10, 2011, 11:22:44 pm »

1. They don't have any ground huggers like the Ultari in GH2. The only wheeled vehicle I know of is the Tauner, it's a ground car with a turret. Well, technically also the chameleon - but it's just a battroid with wheels on the legs.

2. If you want to load a mech with lots of armor and weapons, find something thats light (so you get less mass penalties to MV/TR just from the body) and has a large engine (bigger engine = larger carried weight before you start getting penalties). If you can get your hands on one, a Dao Deoji is an amazing mecha in this regard. It has a huge class 8 high performance engine, and most of its parts have significantly reduced weight. I got a real nice one as salvage after fighting a Blades of Crihna patrol. The high performance increases your MV/TR by +1/+1, at the cost of a 1/2 battery for energy weapons - but you could always strap on some low weight batteries (which you can pull off a variety of sources - ovaknights have a bunch of 0.5t class 2 batteries in the legs, and the lowly starwarrior buruburu carries a 2t class 4 and 0.5t class 1s) to get plenty of power. A regular class 8 engine produces 5k power, the high performance one makes 2500 - a class 4 battery makes 2500, so one class 4 battery that weighs 2t offsets the disadvantage of the +1/+1 bonus that lets you carry at least 7.5t (even more if you're carrying the stuff externally).

3. Not sure about cyber docs, I haven't really did much with implants in GH2 yet.

4. You need a computer to install the computer program. There are personal scale programs and mecha scale programs - the mecha scale ones are the ones that take up really high numbers of ZeGs (computers are rated in that, thats how much space it takes on the computer). You can buy computers, but the stock ones are really heavy - you can pick up light ones off mechs. The Crown comes with a 1.5t class 5 and the Vadel has a 0.5t class 2. The software from stores goes up to +3, but you can get a +5 TR and a +4 tracking bonus (that helps against fast moving bots) from some of the higher end designs (Kraken or Chimentero, for instance).

5. To get loadout readings you need a target analyzer software. Trailblazers come with light class 1 computers preinstalled with that.

6. I don't think you can reorganize it without removing and replacing the parts, but you can't remove the torso so if you replace the head you're stuck with a torso above the head. You could edit the save file to move it I guess.

7. I believe the blasts are X tiles out from the center, so a blast 1 is a 3x3 and a blast 3 is a 7x7.

8. Polymath is nice. All of the situational bonus to mecha combat ones like Hull down or Born to Fly or whatever are good on asteroids and inside spinners, but in most cases you'll be fighting in space where none of them apply. Not entirely useless, but the usefulness is limited. Hard as Nails is a great way to improve your survivability in personal scale. Acrobatics is also nice if you have dodge skill, since it gives you double the chances to not get hit at all. It restricts you do tier 2 armor, but wearing a cheap tier 2 armor with a cheap weapon is a great way to get experience - and anything really lethal you're probably better off dodging than hoping for the heavier armor to save you anyway. Stunt driver is real nice because it applies any time you're going full speed, and honestly going full speed is a bit OP in GH already - if you're moving fast enough the enemy gets a huge penalty to hit you, while you only get a -3 to hit him, and with the talent on top of that you also get two dodge rolls.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 10, 2011, 11:30:32 pm »

Thanks Paul  :)

That cleared up my confusion on computers and the blast thing. I'll have to fight more Blades now and hope for a Dao Deoji.
My personality profile.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 11, 2011, 12:06:33 am »

In regard to #4 Paul, I thought you couldn't remove programs from a computer? Or at least, I never got the option. Do you need Science skill?

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 11, 2011, 12:07:55 am »

In regard to #4 Paul, I thought you couldn't remove programs from a computer? Or at least, I never got the option. Do you need Science skill?

Navigate to the computer in the component list. There will be an option to Uninstall Software, no science skill needed. It will always uninstall everything though.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 31