Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 705355 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #705 on: June 15, 2011, 02:07:34 pm »

Want me to PM you it, or just post it here? (While you answer this I will dig it up)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: June 15, 2011, 02:08:12 pm »

PM please.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: June 15, 2011, 03:40:37 pm »

So, I kept working on that Magicka RTD.

First thing I did was removing Stats. Magicka doesn't have them and individuality gets determined solely by looks and equipment. (Happy, derm?)

Now, the biggest problem was transcribing a realtime game to a dice and turn-based game.

So I decided to divide turns into actions.

Every person has 5 actions per round. Moving, for instance, takes an action for, say, every two squares? If you have prepared more than one element, then your speed will be modified accordingly. So having all 5 slots prepared slows you down to 5 actions per 3 squares - a severe penalty.

Next, casting.

Casting a spell takes an action per element used.

So self-healing (which doesn't get modified by the amount of life elements used, and thus is best used as spam) takes only 1 action, and you can self-heal 5 times per round.

Another example would be casting magic missiles - Ice and 3 force for instance.
Now, Ice is a combined element, made up of cold and water. Combined elements will take up 1.5 actions, rounded up.
This particular spell-combo would then take 4.5, rounded up to 5, actions to cast, and will hence take the entire turn to cast.

This means that some game-breaking combinations like the Super Lightning Steam Beam will take more than a turn to prepare, but hoo boy do they hurt.

Beams are a special case. They hit, if I understood the wiki correctly, 8 times per charge. After they have been cast, they will hit twice per action (so up to 10 hits per action, and up to 4 turns per beam). This damage does not increase unless crossed with a different beam - something that Ghostbusters fans know you should never do.

Some elements, namely the projectiles, can be charged. A wizard can decide to charge those spells, doubling casting time, but also greatly increasing effectivity.
So a rock projectile will fly faster, and further, while Icicle Shotgun will be a lot more focused, dealing more damage on a single target.

Melee was more difficult.

So I decided that, for starters, I'd divide the weapons in 3 categories: fast, medium, and slow.

Fast weapons get +1 to hit and take one action to swing.
Medium weapons get no modifier to hit and take 2 actions to swing.
You can guess the slow weapon modifiers.

The problem there is that I'm still trying to balance damage. If I made it 1d4, 1d6, and 1d12 respectively, everybody'd use only fast weapons for increased damage and versatility.
1d4, 1d8, and 1d20 maybe?

Aaaand... did I forget something? Posting before something eats my post, either way.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: June 15, 2011, 03:43:48 pm »

what about Spellbook magicks?

Lookin at haste.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: June 15, 2011, 03:45:52 pm »

Oh, right.

Those will be cast like regular spells, however, with a higher difficulty because the order of elements matter. Also, failing them won't do anything bad like, for instance, failing an Earth spell (hitting yourself with a rock? Duuude!). At least, not directly. However, succeeding might.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: June 15, 2011, 03:53:40 pm »

Lookin' good so far, Darvi.

I look forward to the accidental mass team killing.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: June 15, 2011, 03:54:42 pm »

Heheh. AoE's will of course work wonderfully if I use a map. +2 to radius per additional element would work I believe.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: June 15, 2011, 03:55:48 pm »

asasa Shift-rightclick spam! Solves most everything in the early parts of the game.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: June 15, 2011, 03:58:51 pm »

Including your allies.

Heheheh.

And QFASSS is more powerful.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: June 15, 2011, 04:00:41 pm »

well, yes, but holding down shift and rapidly hitting saassaassasasass while clicking like mad pretty much stunlocks most things in the radius.

Damnit now I want to go play it.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: June 15, 2011, 04:03:48 pm »

just a minor FYI I've started a new, mid-apocalyptic RTD centralized around completely human (at the start anyways) characters, a mutagen weapon, and something called AGENT-P that everyone seems to want.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=86882.0
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 04:10:45 pm by kilakan »
Nom nom nom

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: June 15, 2011, 04:07:30 pm »

@Darvi: How does hitting someone with a weapon work? Opposed d6 rolls?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #717 on: June 15, 2011, 04:13:02 pm »

I had another idea-ULTIMATE DEATHMATCH MODE. 8 players spawn in x locaction with 3 weapons and 10Hp. They must then FIGHT TO THE DEATH. The winner gets a point. Then we add the losers to the waiting list in positional order and have the winner take on another 7. Ad nauseum.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: June 15, 2011, 04:13:16 pm »

I just figured rolling a d8 would be enough for both dodges and hits. The AI is too dumb to move out of harms way anyway so I think they don't need a roll.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: June 15, 2011, 04:16:07 pm »

I had another idea-ULTIMATE DEATHMATCH MODE. 8 players spawn in x locaction with 3 weapons and 10Hp. They must then FIGHT TO THE DEATH. The winner gets a point. Then we add the losers to the waiting list in positional order and have the winner take on another 7. Ad nauseum.
Hum sounds like a good-idea, the random locations would mean planning would be pointless, since every battle could be wildly different.  One problem is that with 8 people no one would last long, be a bit of a bullet storm, 10 HP wouldn't work well with this though, maybe a base of 10 that can be modified with stats bought and sold between battles.
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 661