Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 541 542 [543] 544 545 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702145 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

This is really cool! Thanks a lot. One thing, though. Would it be possible to generate more then on eeffect at a time?

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

To do that just open gen.txt and change
Code: [Select]
[Effects]to
[Effects:4]
You could also have it generate a random amount of effects (say, 1 to 4) like so:
[Effects:1d4]
I'm working on adding a flag that allows generators to call other generators, so the other ones can add a certain number of effects to themselves.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Will it automatically incorporate any correctly formatted list into the UI? I could throw a few things together just by doing that.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Oh, hello Gatleos! Lovely to see you!

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

Will it automatically incorporate any correctly formatted list into the UI? I could throw a few things together just by doing that.
Yep, the list on the left will include every generator defined in the file. I'll be updating the program to display them in alphabetical order. This will simplify things once we get a larger list.
Oh, hello Gatleos! Lovely to see you!
Hello! It's been a while.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

I'm trying to come up with an arena battle system, working on multiple layers.

1. Building the Combat Mech:

Generally, this is done by picking a chassis and filling available space with parts, some vital, some less so. Sure, you could hide some missiles in your core for a sneak attack, but you've got to have that control system somewhere, and if they misfire due to damage...

The second layer to this is external equipment- generally used for nonsensitive parts such as weapons. A pile-driver built around your arm makes a lot more sense than, say, one inside your head. Unless you WANT to have the best possible headbutt...

The third layer is move setup. Singular attacks are written to an internal chip that can be executed without copy-command. A fast punch using copy-command might take a second to connect, while activation through move setup could be as low as a half-second.

The fourth layer is RABBITs. These are combinations of moves put together that may chain different weapons together- a RABBIT takes up an entire chip but mostly ensures a string of hits- so long as it connects- activating move after move in instant succession. Opponents will have a very hard time dodging out of a RABBIT, but the chance gets better the longer a string is.

The fifth layer is Copy-Command. This allows you to make moves on the fly, directly controlling servos at the cost of pure speed. Utilizing most weaponry is difficult through Copy-Command- for instance, even a punch with the pile-driver arm won't actually activate the pile-bunker unless special parts are used during the construction phase.

---

Chassis are normally purchased from a company- there are three main ones, alongside a few subsidiaries/third party companies.

PIR HANA Ltd.
> One of the original three companies to start the games, Pir-Hana have become the masters of fast chassis. You'll be out-speeding the competition the whole time, even if you've often got to deal with little space for parts as well as lacking armor.

AG SYSTEMS
> The grandfather of all "tech sports", AG Systems is revered as nobility among nobles. They proclaim research value above all else, often having wild shifts in products. One thing is certain in the field of battle- an AG Systems chassis is tricky, and full of space for internal and external parts.

FEISAR
> A European company formed as an almost knee-jerk reaction to the formation of AG SYSTEMS. They currently fill a "beginner friendly" niche, prioritizing heavy armor over space or speed, which have made them popular amongst all levels of arena combat.

---

Qirex
>Subsidiary splinter of AG Systems who focus on brutal combat capability, eschewing anything that isn't for the express purpose of destruction or surviving long enough to destroy. While such brutal tactics may have earned them some vehement foes, they are careful to operate within the rules and leave their blood-thirst on the field, garnering many respectful fans.

Auricom
> Subsidiary splinter of AG Systems who focus on the spirit of the game, rather than Qirex's brutal approach. They still make for strong opponents, however different their approach may be, and the once bitter rivalry between them and Qirex is now a time-honored tradition. Quite a few tournaments have ended with their machines clashing, and the winner is never guaranteed.

The basic idea here is similar to my other wipeout-based games, in that you have companies with different interesting parts. Except there's no racing anymore, it's just combat.

There's no real system for determining moves yet, nor distance. The bonus to this is that RABBIT combos can be as absurd as you can imagine them- a grapple into a powerful kick into using a hidden missile system, for instance.

There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So evidently I have no idea how to run the randomizer. I have python 3.3.4 installed and such but it just opens and closes immediately. I'll probably try reinstalling first but I don't think that's the problem.

Edit: Okay so reinstalling worked. Looks good.

Edit: Also I'd be interested in a nightvale rtd.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 06:38:44 pm by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile

Put up my BIONICLE RTD, for anyone interested in that.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

So evidently I have no idea how to run the randomizer. I have python 3.3.4 installed and such but it just opens and closes immediately. I'll probably try reinstalling first but I don't think that's the problem.
You could--
Edit: Okay so reinstalling worked. Looks good.
Oh

So I put up a new version of the script. There's now a COPY flag which allows a generator to call another generator.
[Weapon Effects:COPY(Effects):1d4]This would add a subgenerator called "Weapon Effects" that copies an earlier generator called "Effects" and-- you can just look at the file to see how it works. Anyway this is a RTD discussion thread, so I won't clog it up with programming talk anymore. Hopefully we can keep adding to those generator lists though.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

As someone who has no clue how programming works, I don't have a problem with you guys talking about this. At least it's RTD related. :P
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gatleos made Fniffs many generators, located on their piratepad, into program format. Its nice because it saves us from going to random.org to roll a d365 or some other awful number. Also the obvious benefit of not requiring internet if you wanted to do something with it in an offline format of course.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

The band of intrepid heroes fights back the goblin horde on their way across the Great Bridge of Elgard. If they can get into the dark necromancer's tower and knock the magical crystal out of alignment, they should be able to stop her from resurrecting the Skeletal Dragon Maaz'Riel and laying waste to the countryside with its fell flames. Time is running out, and the fate of all rests on their shoulders.

Suddenly, a storm of GIANT CHEESE PUFFS RAINS FROM THE SKY, SPLINTERING INTO SHARDS OF CHEESY GOODNESS. "Christ Ben, could you maybe lean closer over the table? I think there are a few miniatures you haven't covered in greasy crumbs yet." Will the heroes prevail when the dice keep rolling under the goddamn couch and the GM must Roll to Take Out the Garbage?!
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i'm throwing money at the screen and i think i just dented it

but otherwise nothing is happening

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

I call That Guy.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

The band of intrepid heroes fights back the goblin horde on their way across the Great Bridge of Elgard. If they can get into the dark necromancer's tower and knock the magical crystal out of alignment, they should be able to stop her from resurrecting the Skeletal Dragon Maaz'Riel and laying waste to the countryside with its fell flames. Time is running out, and the fate of all rests on their shoulders.

Suddenly, a storm of GIANT CHEESE PUFFS RAINS FROM THE SKY, SPLINTERING INTO SHARDS OF CHEESY GOODNESS. "Christ Ben, could you maybe lean closer over the table? I think there are a few miniatures you haven't covered in greasy crumbs yet." Will the heroes prevail when the dice keep rolling under the goddamn couch and the GM must Roll to Take Out the Garbage?!

I think there's been a few games like this, and none really went anywhere before dying off. Still, might be a worthwhile idea depending on what's done with it. To be honest, it seems like better material for a skit than a game, but that might just be me.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 03:20:40 pm by Harry Baldman »
Pages: 1 ... 541 542 [543] 544 545 ... 661