Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 639 640 [641] 642 643 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699464 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #9600 on: December 13, 2016, 11:31:36 pm »

What if a pilot is so good that they're incapable of rolling a number low enough for a mech to use? Like if a mech has 1-5 Dex, but the pilot has 6-11 Reflexes.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #9601 on: December 13, 2016, 11:42:32 pm »

What if a pilot is so good that they're incapable of rolling a number low enough for a mech to use? Like if a mech has 1-5 Dex, but the pilot has 6-11 Reflexes.
Then they roll 5's all the time. At least in that stat.

Of course, if you have a high level pilot using some junker like that, you are already gonna be in deep water because the Kaiju out there is rolling 9-16.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9602 on: December 14, 2016, 01:09:07 am »

And the final module diagnostic block, present in rough form.

Code: [Select]
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Cockpit Diagnostic Information
Functioning Cockpit Modules: 1/1

Base_Cockpit:
Mounted on: head
HP: 10/10
Armor: 10/10
Power: 0/1
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O
Weapon Diagnostic Information
Functioning Weapon Modules: 6/6

Basic_Laser:
Mounted on: lhip
Cur. Power Power Needed Opt. Power
       0         3        5
Damage: 3-5 With Armor Piercing: 1
Malfunction Chance: 0.0
Accuracy Modifier: 2.0

Basic_Rocket:
Mounted on: larm
       0         3        3
Damage: 5-10 With Armor Piercing: 5
Accuracy Modifier: 2.5
Ammo: 5/5

Basic_Chainsword:
Mounted on: larm_arm3
       0         3        3
Damage: 1-10 With Armor Piercing: 0
Accuracy Modifier: 1.5

Basic_Laser:
Mounted on: rhip
       0         3        5
Damage: 3-5 With Armor Piercing: 1
Accuracy Modifier: 2.0

Basic_Rocket:
Mounted on: rarm
       0         3        3
Damage: 5-10 With Armor Piercing: 5
Accuracy Modifier: 2.5
Ammo: 5/5

Basic_Chainsword:
Mounted on: rarm_arm3
       0         3        3
Damage: 1-10 With Armor Piercing: 0
Accuracy Modifier: 1.5

0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O
Weapon Diagnostic Information
Functioning Weapon Modules: 2/2

Basic_Booster:
Mounted on: lleg
       0         5        7
Ammo: 3/3
Reload Cost: 10

Basic_Booster:
Mounted on: rleg
       0         5        7
Ammo: 3/3
Reload Cost: 10

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Again, rough, but it's decent enough that I can start working on the action loop basics. Power grid distribution, load distribution, and the begins of the turn system are next on the list. Probably going to take it a bit slow, one to give PW a chance to think (I hadn't even considered a typical stat system, and adding that on post-hoc would be a bit of a pain if I go forward blind), and two so I can work on my own games. This satisfies my urge to build absurdly complex systems, but my actual players need love too.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9603 on: December 14, 2016, 01:34:30 am »

Had a dream last night, the bit I remember was RTD-related so I guess I'll post it here.

I was participating in some new Lawas RTD with some kinda sci-fi setting, possibly somewhat like ER but it seemed a lot more similar to some kind of old X-Men comic or something, I don't know. Kinda low-power superhero stuff, and I think players controlled multiple characters at least some of the time, like their own little group of heroes. Again, kinda like those old '90s X-Men comics I vaguely remember.

Anyway, there were plenty of comedic moments from what I recall.
I don't recall much, but I remember my goofy, bumbling character managing to defeat (or at least drive off) some utterly alien, seemingly invulnerable foe by accidentally activating the laser eyes (some kind of gadget?) that he'd forgotten he had. I think he'd looted it off some reasonably badass female villain earlier in the dream, don't remember anything about the scene or how the player characters took her down, though.

All in all it seemed pretty fun. Shame I don't remember more of it, though.
I think the "utterly alien, seemingly invulnerable foe" had the physical appearance of some weird, floating and spiky multi-coloured portal thing.
That's all I got. Probably left it too long since waking up to remember more.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #9604 on: December 14, 2016, 08:52:29 am »

Had you been eating a lot of blue cheese before bed?

In twenty years, when I've finished my current game, perhaps I should consider a sci-fi setting.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9605 on: December 17, 2016, 05:48:24 pm »

A man leaves to do finals for a few days and suddenly people are turning his half finished ideas into java gadgets.

Damn, I'll have to actually finish this now...
How're the finals treating you anyways? Are you ready to Make Medicine Great Again (through traumatic bloodletting techniques)?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #9606 on: December 18, 2016, 12:43:53 am »

A man leaves to do finals for a few days and suddenly people are turning his half finished ideas into java gadgets.

Damn, I'll have to actually finish this now...
How're the finals treating you anyways? Are you ready to Make Medicine Great Again (through traumatic bloodletting techniques)?
Easy enough, just time consuming. I am learning quite well how to put Millions of electron volts worth of gamma radiation into old ladies.

Oh also, I've been dabbling in this mech thing. Its far from complete but I think I have the basics worked out here, more or less.  Heres a PDF of what I have so far.

https://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/12/18/mech/mech.pdf

It includes a basic frame and some basic components, as well as a mech sheet for A TOTALLY ORIGINAL AND NOT AT ALL COPYRIGHT INFRINGING mech called Romani Hazard.

I've also been thinking about/poking at games involving
1. 1970's new age movement accidentally unleashing cosmic horror via transcendental meditation
2. A game involving the players being the crew of a very large vehicle as it traverses very dangerous locations. I haven't decided on what kind of vehicle, I have like 12 different ideas and they all work.
3. A game about digging downward through a seemingly infinite planetary crust and the strange things encountered on the way.
4. Rival Schools style high school battling game.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #9607 on: December 19, 2016, 06:57:22 am »

I've also been thinking about/poking at games involving
1. 1970's new age movement accidentally unleashing cosmic horror via transcendental meditation

This sounds nice.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9608 on: December 19, 2016, 10:06:16 am »

2. A game involving the players being the crew of a very large vehicle as it traverses very dangerous locations. I haven't decided on what kind of vehicle, I have like 12 different ideas and they all work.
If it's a flying/floating train with turrets and gathering crew and equipment over time, I'm interested on account of it being a childhood paper&pencil game of mine.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #9609 on: December 19, 2016, 10:35:40 am »

Ideally there would be no one "behind it all". It would just be a massive fluke.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #9610 on: December 19, 2016, 11:22:49 am »

Ideally there would be no one "behind it all". It would just be a massive fluke.
If by that you mean it wasn't the master plan of someone, then no. There's a source, a patient zero as it were, their discoveries were accidental

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9611 on: December 23, 2016, 01:05:50 am »

If it's a flying/floating train with turrets and gathering crew and equipment over time, I'm interested on account of it being a childhood paper&pencil game of mine.

Oh damn I had a pnp game sorta like that too. Its part of what inspired that awful giant space ship idea I had a while back that never went anywhere. Also idea 3 appeals to me because of this flash game called motherload. Heck combine the two it could work. Actually yeah do that.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9612 on: December 24, 2016, 02:14:24 pm »

Been musing recently on an urban-magic sort of game.

The chestnut idea was just a little joke about how if mage hoodlums scratched up the paintjob on your car, they might write evil runes on it just to really ruin your life.

Also been having thoughts about spell catalysts being ordinary scavenged objects, belonging to various classes (wand, staff, broomstick, effigy, idol, etc or whatever) and casting spells dependent on what they were. E.g. a length of rusty copper pipe torn from the wall of an abandoned council block might cast spells to do with hot water and steam, or maybe gas and fire. And might have varying spells attuned if it was a wand or a staff.

Might allow for a lot of variety while still keeping the system lazy.
One wheel short of a wagon

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #9613 on: December 24, 2016, 05:05:57 pm »

Oh damn I had a pnp game sorta like that too. Its part of what inspired that awful giant space ship idea I had a while back that never went anywhere. Also idea 3 appeals to me because of this flash game called motherload. Heck combine the two it could work. Actually yeah do that.
I would play that
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9614 on: December 27, 2016, 01:10:33 pm »

So, I final little update before I totally leave for new year's hiatus.

Scale: Each component has a scale. I don't now quite what end the scale is based at yet, but the scale is a representation of the size of  the individual frame chunk (and thus the module that it can load. Our mostly likely starting point (because it makes everything nice powers of 2 and allows very fine control) we can start with a block size of 1.5 inches, consider this to be scale 0. That in mind, consider the following progression,

Scale 0: 1.5"
Scale 1: 3"
Scale 2: 6"
Scale 3: 1'
Scale 4: 2'
Scale 5: 4'
Scale 6: 8'
Scale 7: 16'
Scale 8: 32'
Scale 9: 64'
Scale 10: 128'

A jaeger, using Piecewise's original diagram, is built on scale level of 8. This means that each component is, roughly, 32 feet tall, 32 feet wide, and 32 feet deep. (Yes, Jaegers are not built in minecraft blocks, just bear with me.) The total height of the original diagram was 6, which gives a total eight of 192, the actual G.D. was 260 feet tall, so we're ~2 height units off, but she was a leggy girl, and we can sort of use the imaginoscope to say that the interior volume of the blocks remains constant, and the blocks we're using are a bit thinner and a bit taller than the reference scale. We're in the right ballpark of scale.

Now, the reason for using this absurd system of scale is so that we can represent other things. Many things. All the things. Consider a cat. Google tells me that, on average, a cat is roughly 9 inches tall and 12-18 inches from tip of nose to dock of tail. Thus we can represent a cat using a scale level of 1. It'll have a head, roughly three body sockets (front shoulders, core, potentially another core, and then hips), and four legs that are 2 units each. Now, the tail can then be represented as one or more units of scale 0, to represent its additional fineness of structure.

You might be thinking at this point that I've gone a little off the deep end here, but the point of this system is that I can unify damage across everything from cats, to infantry, to fighter jets, to jaegers, to super kaiju on a scale never before seen. I can just make a module called 'claw' and depending on the size of the module it could be a rat claw (s0), a cat claw (s1), a wolverine claw (s2), a cheetah claw (s3) [Not the best example since they have stubby claws], a tiger claw (s4), and because there's really nothing on earth that has claws that's a scale level larger than a tiger, we'll jump straight up to kaiju claws (s8). Conversion is simple. All we need is a reference scale. The reference scale is the one we use to conceptualize how a module should behave on a scale that we can comprehend. For that purpose, we're going to use S3 as our reference scale. Why? Because the same layout that makes the basic mech serves equally well to make a person at that scale, which makes it a lot easier to ballpark hp, damage, and all those other wonderful things. To convert, we can multiply most of the key attributes (like damage dealt, hp, armor,etc) by one of two factors. If we're scaling up (making a Kaiju claw) we multiply the attributes by (2(Snew-Sref))3, if we're scaling down, we use 1/(2(Sref-Snew))3. We're using the cube here because our transform is three dimensional, and that creates some rather incredible alterations.

Let's consider a s3 biological body segment that has 50 hp, and a claw module with a damage of 15-35. These numbers are complete ass-pulls, but they'll serve for the example. A cat size body segment (s1) would convert to having an HP of ~78dHp, and so, across all segments, the cat would have a total HP of of about 6.25 (or 625 dHp), and its claws would deal 23-55 dHp of damage. Thus, attacking with all claws, a cat could deal approximately  0.92-2.2 damage (92-220 dHp)  per turn of damage. This is a good set of numbers. A cat can conceivably deal damage to a human. Fifty cats could conceivably kill a human. However, a human (if they hit) could easily cripple cat with even a basic punch or kick.

Now, let's look at the kaiju scale version (s8). The Kaiju body segment would have an hp of 1.6384 MHp (1638.4 kHp), and a single swipe of its claws would deal 491.520-1146.880  kHp of damage. That's building destroying damage scale. That's the kind of scale that laughs at the antics of mortals, at the sight which mankind is subject to the same feeling of panic which is aroused by natural cataclysms, those devastating upheavals of the Earth, against which wisdom and strength alike are of no avail. That is the scale of destruction that generates the terror experienced wherever the established order of things is upset, when security ceases to exist, when all that was previously protected by the laws of man and nature is suddenly placed at the mercy of brutal, unreasoning force.*

*VNV: Chosen

Ahem.

Anyway. Scale also plays into how easy something is to hit. A man with a pistol is going to have a devil of a time shooting a specific part of a cat, and a difficult time shooting a cat in general, but it really shouldn't be possible for him to do that much missing if he's within a reasonable range of the 200' tall kaiju. Of course, super-large creatures, like Kaiju, get map area attacks that deal damage to all units that are substantially smaller and occupy a designated tile (or tiles). They don't have to turn people to fine red mist one at a time, or go through the hassle of trying to hit a specific person. They just rend the area and bury their foes beneath the rubble.

Essentially, the system of scale is designed so that a full battle can be run simultaneously. Infantry, tanks, planes, jaegers, improbable japanese airships, all fighting eldrazi spawn, hydralisks, shoggoths, eldritch shamblers, and enormous kaiju. It would work for a bunch of different systems, so I'm fiddling with the idea of modular stats.

Other Things: Well, I had more planned to write, but I'm pretty much out of time. Basically, complexity is another bound for mechs, and is basically a representation of how many modules can be controlled by the ai/pilot/brain, and can be extended by secondary ai clusters, proto-brains, extra pilots (either in sequence of in drift), and the like. Basically, it was an add-on with scale that discourages building systems via linking up large numbers of redundant small modules instead of just going with a single larger module. Power-flow is a bit more nuanced.

Bah, I might write more later. Suffice to say, system won't be up for a while but it will be cool when it is.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: 1 ... 639 640 [641] 642 643 ... 661