Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sprites by caste?  (Read 1679 times)

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sprites by caste?
« on: March 26, 2011, 01:48:43 pm »

Is it possible to give an animal different sprites depending on caste? If so, how would I do that?

I tried using the same format that gives humanoids different sprites depending on profession, and replacing the profession name with the caste name, and that didn't work.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sprites by caste?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 01:29:26 am »

As far as I know it's not possible. The game uses creature -level when determining graphics, castes are ignored totally.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 01:33:39 am »

Actually, after I posted this I saw a comment in (I think) the .23 release thread about how the [NATURAL_SKILL] tag being fixed allows this kind of thing. I haven't tried it yet, though - I'm still on .21.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 01:44:23 am »

Basically there is no [MALE/FEMALE] tag sensibility, nor indication of caste as far as you can use with the graphics.  However there are jobs, and it is possible to have a creature with a very high skill as a male, but nothing as a female, in some useless skill they won't use, and give the one a sprite for every... let's say "canine butcher".

or a "Queen Bee Beekeeper"
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Dibuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 09:11:17 am »

Here's how I did it. Sort of.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=80242.0

Edit:
Actually, after I posted this I saw a comment in (I think) the .23 release thread about how the [NATURAL_SKILL] tag being fixed allows this kind of thing. I haven't tried it yet, though - I'm still on .21.

Ah you might have found that already.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 02:31:14 am »

So I finally upgraded past .21, and I still can't seem to get this to work. The animal castes are being given their skills essentially correctly, but the sprites aren't changing to indicate that.

Has anyone made it work on non-civ creatures?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 09:01:38 am »

So I finally upgraded past .21, and I still can't seem to get this to work. The animal castes are being given their skills essentially correctly, but the sprites aren't changing to indicate that.

Has anyone made it work on non-civ creatures?
I think that is a bug that is fixed in a later version

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 03:18:29 pm »

I'm playing .25 now and it still doesn't work.