Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 111

Author Topic: =-~Corrosion~-= [UPDATING] ***43.x (thanks Evil Bunny)*** <<Infected>>  (Read 230679 times)

smasher89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: =-~Corrosion~-= [v1.0.8] A Total Conversion Mod for 31.25
« Reply #1080 on: August 11, 2011, 01:40:53 pm »

ok this mod is awesome one of my new migrants was walking towards the fortress/hole in the ground and a skulking infected showed up. as soon as he saw it he had a tantrum and beat the infected to death...

epic win
Was he a berserker? They tend to do that sometimes.
Also, graphics look good. There's just something I like about the ascii though. It is a mystery.

Actually i think he was an office worker :P

Wow! officeīs man got balls! tought Im trying to train some soldiers to patrol in the walls of my village, its hard, since i cant find metal in vanilla methods that arent making mining less realistic or not trading, i really want gasmask to be integrated soon...

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: August 12, 2011, 03:01:47 am »

they can't be integrated, unless we make a new caste of humans: gas-mask humans, with the description: a human that always carries his gasmask with him, and uses it when needed.

but this is DF, so you can't have a clothing that blocks dust!

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: August 12, 2011, 10:47:43 am »

@kerlc while your combining ideas are good, the problem is that reactions don't work that way. There would be a 20% chance of getting a double edged axe, a 60% chance of getting an axe back (another 60% including the other one) and a 20% chance of getting a metal bar. So what would happen is that you might get a double edged axe, two axes, and a metal bar. Likewise there's a chance that you could get nothing back at all.
That said I'm loving this other idea...

Quote from: kerlc
now this one isn't SPECIFICALLY a combined item but should be a welecome alternative to guns on maps with few trees.
pneumatic rifle (tihar from metro 2033 copy)

1 air pump (made at the forges)
1 gun part
1 metal bar
pellets for ammo (smaller and slower than bullets, but with better penetration than bolts)

A simple gun that has weaker ammo is possible, and sort of like a high powered marble gun. I could make the pellets come in greater quantities to and having them only need fuel and a metal bar would greatly reduce the work you need to make them. At the consequence of greatly reduced strength.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: August 12, 2011, 12:07:37 pm »

yay! i am useful! and don't forget, make it stronger than crossbow, but weaker than guns. if you make it as powerfull (or less) it would be pretty useless. unless you make it fire EXTREMELY FAST, in a OHMYGODWHEREISMYSPLEEN kinda way.

too bad that the combined weapons could not work. although you could mess around with the percentages. or what you get.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: August 12, 2011, 12:40:22 pm »

I also just got done with batteries, here's a schematic of how they work.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Enjoy!

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

smasher89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: August 12, 2011, 01:07:39 pm »

I also just got done with batteries, here's a schematic of how they work.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Enjoy!

Another idea: since petroleum and others fuel sources arenīt accesible due to primitive tech of the post-apocalypse world, we should build some sort of termal generator, water or windmills and solar panels that transforms the mechanical, solar and termal energy into energy to batterys?

Maybe the thing of gasmask humans could be done making a normal human equiping his/her gasmask and then the creature gest replaced by a "caste" counterpart? this new creature retain all his/her old data like  emotions, relationships, muscles, apperance, etc.. but gets the new body part of mask and the old cloth of the gasmask, when it its removed then he reverts into his/her old caste creature type? or maybe you could add a hydraulic pick or machine that lets the miner mine stone without producing gasses or maybe lowering into a X% of possibilityes of producing gasses based on minerīs skill?

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: August 12, 2011, 02:50:57 pm »

The stuff you are suggesting is a *tad* beyond what can currently be modded into Dwarf Fortress.
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

smasher89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: August 12, 2011, 03:26:03 pm »

The stuff you are suggesting is a *tad* beyond what can currently be modded into Dwarf Fortress.

Not if you know how to programm avanced things, but its not the case to me, i dont even know how to modify the creatures, but i know a bit of pixel art and those...

About the mining ideas; its ok, i just want a way of creating more metals to my outpost, since requesting from caravans its really tedious and i dont have a good amount of things to exchange for, also waiting so much time for teh caravans its really boring, so:

What if people cant mine? but why not instead of people able to mine for now, why not creating robots for that?

New creature: Automaton-R340-B? (any other good name?)

Parts: Head, Body, Left Wheel set, Right wheel set, Tool arm
Material which its made from: steel (some parts are of this) while some are from rubber
Do: "Sleep" doesnt have "emotions or relationships" with others, doesnt eat, doesnt drink, doesnt bleed, doesnt feel pain, fear dizziness, Drownsy, doesnt learn, doesnt breathe... any other i forgott?
Description: A machine created by the mankind to help in dangerous labors which the humans cannot do by themselves.
These robots can mine and choop wood if equiped correctly, as they cannot learn, they however have maximun stats in minery, wood cutters, and in farming plants, however, they have to "sleep" to recharge their battery to work continously, they will also engange in combat actively if draft to military labour and can be assigned to recover wounded people, as I dont know if you can generate a  creature in a workshop, they would however, come with migrants, and could be treathed as a "caste" or sentient species, as they can be assigned labours? because they dont breathe they are perfect for mining!

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: August 12, 2011, 04:04:57 pm »

Corrosion is more of a modern era, I try to avoid Fallout-esque stuff as that's mostly Wasteland territory. So no robots more advanced then what we readily have today. Nor am I willing to crack open DF to tangle with it's inner workings. I doubt Toady would smile on that  :-\ . The power idea is a good one, but not possible through modding.

Again, as soon as gas masks are possible they'll probably go in. But it doesn't seem likely in the near future.

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

smasher89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: August 12, 2011, 05:18:06 pm »

Corrosion is more of a modern era, I try to avoid Fallout-esque stuff as that's mostly Wasteland territory. So no robots more advanced then what we readily have today. Nor am I willing to crack open DF to tangle with it's inner workings. I doubt Toady would smile on that  :-\ . The power idea is a good one, but not possible through modding.

Again, as soon as gas masks are possible they'll probably go in. But it doesn't seem likely in the near future.

Man there must be a "vanilla" way to make mining work normally in your mod! there must be one! I cant stand longer without metal! im starting to... ahhgg.. (brain starts to turn into a troglodyte one that doesnt know what is a metal)...

Now seriously... I think there are some robots or things like that in our era which serves to do those ways of mining? or... maybe acids? that i know in some quarrys people uses rfrequently an acid to melt stone? maybe its possible to do that? like a tool that combines the crossbow and the pick nature? so that new machine would consume per strike to the stone a unit of acid? but more importnat there is a way to detect or assign a tool that when mines makes the tile do not produce gas? if so, then you could make a "special" pickaxe? or maybe a short of "water wheel" building? like this:

The new building its based on the water wheel one, this one must be the put near water or in a brook, as you are in the water there you could extract from there sediments from the river? like the miners of africa with the blood diamond thing? once you get the sediment someone gets it and its processed at another site like the lab? these sediments always have a 5% of probabilityes of giving a iron nugget or another metal? thats a viable method of minery, not modern as others, but its the unique that I know that could be made in DF as it its today? unless mechanisms and water wheel are hardcoded into the EXE? then the building would be a normal one and only placeable into clay or a normal soil/buildable tile and the reaction would consume a water bucket?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: August 12, 2011, 05:27:41 pm »

Once .26 comes out, you can make some kinda potion ("Disposable Gas Mask") that turns the human into the immune class.

But we have to wait for that.

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: August 12, 2011, 05:29:49 pm »

What you can mod into Dwarf Fortress depends on what's in the RAWs. Things like siege engines, water wheels and what-have-you are hard-coded, and cannot be altered. However, a reaction that takes a bucket of water and has a chance of giving out some ore *might* be able to work. But I don't think there is a way to get the water into the bucket. As far as I know, dwarves only fill buckets to clean wounds, fill ponds and water patients.  :-\   
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: August 12, 2011, 06:18:27 pm »

However, a reaction that takes a bucket of water and has a chance of giving out some ore *might* be able to work. But I don't think there is a way to get the water into the bucket. As far as I know, dwarves only fill buckets to clean wounds, fill ponds and water patients.  :-\
There's a trick involving cancelling the order while they're carrying it you can do.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: August 13, 2011, 02:07:00 am »

Man there must be a "vanilla" way to make mining work normally in your mod! there must be one! I cant stand longer without metal! im starting to... ahhgg.. (brain starts to turn into a troglodyte one that doesnt know what is a metal)...

Now seriously... I think there are some robots or things like that in our era which serves to do those ways of mining? or... maybe acids? that i know in some quarrys people uses rfrequently an acid to melt stone? maybe its possible to do that? like a tool that combines the crossbow and the pick nature? so that new machine would consume per strike to the stone a unit of acid? but more importnat there is a way to detect or assign a tool that when mines makes the tile do not produce gas? if so, then you could make a "special" pickaxe? or maybe a short of "water wheel" building? like this:

The new building its based on the water wheel one, this one must be the put near water or in a brook, as you are in the water there you could extract from there sediments from the river? like the miners of africa with the blood diamond thing? once you get the sediment someone gets it and its processed at another site like the lab? these sediments always have a 5% of probabilityes of giving a iron nugget or another metal? thats a viable method of minery, not modern as others, but its the unique that I know that could be made in DF as it its today? unless mechanisms and water wheel are hardcoded into the EXE? then the building would be a normal one and only placeable into clay or a normal soil/buildable tile and the reaction would consume a water bucket?
you have SERIOUSLY overdone what can be modded into DF. BUT. as far as i can understand it, the dust from digging is inhaled through breathing. so a caste of humans, that (as i mentioned in one of my previous posts) that DOES NOT BREATHE, named either gas-mask humans or respirator humans (description: has a respiratory device/gasmask with him all the time and uses it when needed) it does not need new body parts as it weares the gasmask on his belt etc. i personally believe taht respiratory device would be better cause the fact that they don't breathe means that they won't drown. but anyway, this would be the best way.

and another question, if you are so bothered by the more realistic approach to digging (in mining, if you mine by yourself, you NEED a gasmask or at least a face mask of some sort, believe me, i know this) you could just disable the toxic rock. and disable the use of it. really. and there is the second option: make some clay statues, that are nice, put them up everywhere, make A LOT OF CASKETS and sacrifice a whole immigrant wave to mining.they will dig out enough ground, and you'll strike metal. then the caskets come in handy. the statues are there so that everyone remains happy. trust me, i have been using this technique on every fort that is not by a cliff or a major river.

and TECHNICALLY solar pannels ARE possible. you make a building that produces energy as long as it is OUTSIDE, but that is a copy of the windmill, so why bother?

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: August 13, 2011, 09:24:58 am »

<snip>

Ranged digging isn't possible, water wheel is hard coded. If you want vanilla like mining there's a safe stone mod in the optional files. Just open up your raws, replace inorganic_stone_layer_di with inorganic_stone_safe_stone. Or you could just open up your init option and turn temperature off.

Once .26 comes out, you can make some kinda potion ("Disposable Gas Mask") that turns the human into the immune class.

But we have to wait for that.

Fascinating idea that I would be happy to look into. Assuming that the gas mask 'wears off' it's a very plausible idea. Making it is probably going to take tires, plastic, maybe some metal. Cloth for a makeshift filter.

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 111