Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 291

Author Topic: Elona  (Read 569367 times)

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elona
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2011, 05:25:43 am »

Remember folks, Everyone love's Sheena's Ass.

You can bounce a quarter off it!
How does she keep it in such great shape?

Crunches and starch

No, it's her magical panties...

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2011, 05:26:22 am »

Remember folks, Everyone love's Sheena's Ass.

You can bounce a quarter off it!
How does she keep it in such great shape?

Crunches and starch

No, it's her magical panties...
LEGENDARY magical panties.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2011, 12:26:00 pm »

Hey how do you think those panties became so magical and legendary?

You should do crunches more often.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2011, 02:22:42 pm »

How do you people manage to stay so low level for so long? I just genned a new character, went to sleep once and earned half the EXP I need to level while doing so. It's ridiculous.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 28, 2011, 02:25:39 pm »

having a named scythe with growth reduction on it helps :)

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 28, 2011, 02:27:03 pm »

And how do I find such a thing before having become too high level for it to be any use?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 28, 2011, 02:34:05 pm »

Luck?

But not fighting and not traveling help. Just pick up a bunch of random junk, do some quick and easy quests and eat until your grotesquely rich, then buy awesome stuff for you and your pet, then farm the puppy dungeon and identify and sell all items (identifications stay if you rediscover the same item, hence not needed to identify 2 spellbooks of web to sell both at same price, and need to identify monster parts like leather to sell them at full price, again identifying one leather will allow you to sell ALL leathers) until you're even richer and then start the main quest when your ~lvl 8 and have really nice stuff. Those randomly spawned things can get lucky and kill you even at lvl 6.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 28, 2011, 02:47:34 pm »

Elona has two huge design flaws:
  • Leveling is strongly discouraged but XP is unavoidable.  Sure, you can slow it down if you stumble across the right tools, but you can't stop it.
  • The entire game is designed for grinding.  Skills/stats, platinum coins, small medals, equipment, &c all come very slowly from repetitive gameplay.

Despite that, it's addicting.  This may have something to do with the heaps of (mostly silly) content.  Or maybe just Sheena's ass.

I should add that the control scheme and interface are really pretty good for a roguelike (roguelike-like?).  I love that.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 02:49:58 pm by Earthquake Damage »

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2011, 02:53:04 pm »

Luck?

But not fighting and not traveling help. Just pick up a bunch of random junk, do some quick and easy quests and eat until your grotesquely rich.
There is a problem with this, since the quick and easy quests that requires either of the two.

Hunting quests give noticably less experience than traveling and sleeping tend to give me, though, so I'll probably roll with those in the future. They just can't keep up with the absolutely ludicrous amount of money you receive from Before It's Too Late quests and the like.

I do realize XP is unavoidable, but I just pretty much gained all the EXP I needed to level just from sleeping. And that's just pants-on-head retarded.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 28, 2011, 03:10:51 pm »

Hunting quests are too dangerous, I have yet to survive one. Always get stuck with a bunch of guys who I would trouble dealing with alone. I probably could win one if I used some of my rod charges and scrolls and breathed fire on everything, but i'd lose out on items and charges. Not worth it to me when I can do those easy and well paying "before it's too late" quests.

Frostbite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 28, 2011, 08:00:16 pm »

Still kinda new to this game so why is leveling bad from what i hear fame is the problem?

Oh and ran across a rather odd but great glitch

Just started a new guy because i wanted to see what the archer was like , Started the tutorial for the free good bow.. Played around with the slimes some and then killed them and tried to find the guy ..he was gone ..I found his body in the corner of my house and he had some rather good stuff on him

His bow was mind blowingly awesome and now i 1 shot people with it lol... Is this a knowen glitch or just something odd?

if you want me to post the stats just say so

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 28, 2011, 08:02:55 pm »

He probably died for the same reason some townspeople will randomly teleport:  A bad random equipment roll.

Frostbite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 28, 2011, 08:17:40 pm »

he did have some odd token thing on him it was cursed but didnt say what it did ,

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 28, 2011, 08:19:20 pm »

Would anyone be interested in a "Let's Play and Try to Actually Beat Elona"? It'll probably end up being a succession game, since nobody has enough gumption to run it through to the end.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 28, 2011, 09:03:51 pm »

I poured 200+ hours into a character a while back, though I have no idea how much longer it would take to complete. I got somewhat sidetracked into questing for pp to buy new skills, and building up the various rankings.
 The difficulty curve starts off very steep, but becomes trivial eventually, I just got bored repeating the same quests over and over. The key strategy I used was:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The glaring gap in Elona's game balancing system seems to be equipment (and skills to a lesser extent). If you can get yourself properly kitted out, you won't worry about your fame attracting powerful bandits anymore. In fact, once sufficiently powerful you can
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 291