Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 291

Author Topic: Elona  (Read 566440 times)

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Elona
« Reply #780 on: July 27, 2011, 06:31:08 pm »

Oh yeah, this game. You guys revived the thread, and thus my interest. Used to play it ages ago, don't really now. However, I'd gotten source for the game from Noa, and had trouble hacking it at the time. I solved that today, and put in all the fixes from here: http://elona.squares.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4777&start=30#p28019

Granted, I don't think I currently have the permission to redistribute said executable, but should I get said permission, I'll gladly share. :)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: July 27, 2011, 06:43:58 pm »

You can distribute the .exe, but not the graphics and sound etc.
*Hugs*

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: July 28, 2011, 07:13:38 am »

Alright, well, I've posted it up at the end of the thread I linked above. I only want the link in one place in case they decide they don't want it distributed. I'm trying to play the nice guy just in case. :P Well, enjoy!

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: July 28, 2011, 01:52:52 pm »

So wait,what does that link do again?

I like the music inn the title screen. Oh, anndd typing whilst elona runs sometimes  enters keys twice. Strange,huh?
Everybody!

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: July 28, 2011, 01:55:23 pm »

Alright, well, I've posted it up at the end of the thread I linked above. I only want the link in one place in case they decide they don't want it distributed. I'm trying to play the nice guy just in case. :P Well, enjoy!

Thank you very much.

You have made me a very happy person. :D
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: July 28, 2011, 02:42:24 pm »

So wait,what does that link do again?

I like the music inn the title screen. Oh, anndd typing whilst elona runs sometimes  enters keys twice. Strange,huh?

Fixes bugs. Like letting you see the blackjack screen again. Note that some of the bugfixes make things harder; I buffed blackjack potion chances from what the code was intended to do, but you still can't get guaranteed potions with 4 wins anymore. On the other hand, you get better chances for one with more wins, instead of worse chances. I consider this reasonable. Haven't tested all the fixes yet, so careful about that.

http://elona.squares.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4777&p=29258#p29258  <--- Link for the lazy.

Also, it probably goes without saying but this is based off 1.22, being the newest version. :P So if you're still on 1.16, or x-mas, or whatever, follow the standard rules for upgrading saves. Also it's not my fault if it explodes horribly.

In other news, I forgot what I was doing in my old save so I wanted to start over. Thus I force-fed 6 aphrodisiacs to my Cute Fairy and threw random jewelry at him until we could make a gene. This game really breaks your sense of morals. :D

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: July 29, 2011, 02:01:19 am »

Oh yeah, this game. You guys revived the thread, and thus my interest. Used to play it ages ago, don't really now. However, I'd gotten source for the game from Noa, and had trouble hacking it at the time. I solved that today, and put in all the fixes from here: http://elona.squares.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4777&start=30#p28019

Granted, I don't think I currently have the permission to redistribute said executable, but should I get said permission, I'll gladly share. :)
wait so you know how the living weapons work? could you post a sort of guide on how to pick a name for living weapons without getting the "will suck your blood" attribute?

EDIT: i know you can use a scroll of rename to rename a weapon so that it doesnt get a bad attribute next level but there comes a point that almost all of the names i rename it to will give me the suck blood attribute what im asking for is how to pick the name when i use the scroll of name that doesnt give me a bad attribute when leveling up

http://elona.squares.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4579&p=25655&hilit=living+weapons#p25655
a thread i made a long time ago about it...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 02:27:14 am by em312s0n »

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: July 29, 2011, 09:31:08 am »

You're asking me to dig through the code until I find the answer? Er, maybe some other time. Like I said, following directions is easy. But the code is nigh-indecipherable otherwise. x.x I think I do remember hearing that after level 15 or so, every name causes the blood-sucking attribute, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Edit: Alright, fine. Since you got me so curious... here's the relevant line.

Code: [Select]
lockRand iSubName(ci):if iGrowth(ci)>=(4+rnd(12)) : txt lang("<Garbled Japanese characters>","But you sense something weird.")
Looks like it just uses the item's name as the random seed, nothing more complex. Thus, nobody can really give you a list of magically-working names. As you can see, the limit of 15 levels is definitely built-in, while if you're really unlucky it'll start sucking blood at level 4. None of which matters to me because I've yet to ever find a living weapon. :P
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:50:52 am by Singularity125 »

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: July 29, 2011, 11:59:33 am »

Y'know that pile of gold you get every month?
Is it more than you're taxed or less? Oh, and does it change or is it static?

Oh, and last time I was playing was awesome. I went into a tower with one room and a corridoor that had a dead end. I dug the dead
end and a swarm of bears attacked me. I cut them all to pieces though which was fun.

P.S I hate kamikaze yeeks. Not as much as those performers which throw things at you though. brr.

Everybody!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: July 29, 2011, 12:02:29 pm »

The amount of gold you get is variable, as is the amount of tax.
All buildings you own are taxed whereas your income is based on your rank + Shop income + Museum income.
Arena rank and pet arena rank contribute to your salary too.
*Hugs*

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: July 29, 2011, 12:48:06 pm »

You're asking me to dig through the code until I find the answer? Er, maybe some other time. Like I said, following directions is easy. But the code is nigh-indecipherable otherwise. x.x I think I do remember hearing that after level 15 or so, every name causes the blood-sucking attribute, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Edit: Alright, fine. Since you got me so curious... here's the relevant line.

Code: [Select]
lockRand iSubName(ci):if iGrowth(ci)>=(4+rnd(12)) : txt lang("<Garbled Japanese characters>","But you sense something weird.")
Looks like it just uses the item's name as the random seed, nothing more complex. Thus, nobody can really give you a list of magically-working names. As you can see, the limit of 15 levels is definitely built-in, while if you're really unlucky it'll start sucking blood at level 4. None of which matters to me because I've yet to ever find a living weapon. :P
oh man.. well thanks anyway and thanks for that blackjack fix

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: July 29, 2011, 01:06:00 pm »

And is shop income made through investment?
K. I need to find a way to make money to invest with. Should I try to farm scrolls of oracle in the puppy cave?

P.S Menace, your new avatar is cool.
Everybody!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: July 29, 2011, 01:57:46 pm »

Shop income as in player owned shops. Investing just nets better items.
Also thankee :3
And you only get income from one shop you own, 2 or more is a waste
And shops are a bad way to get money unless you can do lots of dungeon diving.

I suggest arena spamming 'til you have a high rank in order to get money at first.
Shops and Museums aren't profitable until later game.
*Hugs*

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: July 29, 2011, 02:46:21 pm »

You can check your 'j'ournal to see what your taxes and income are made up of, by the way. It's the page where all your ranks in arena, house rank etc. are listed: each one has the income you're getting underneath. And if you're doing math, remember, you get paid twice a month but only get taxes once a month.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: July 29, 2011, 02:59:39 pm »

In addition to needing to stock them, shops need to level before they generate any useful amount of money. Don't expect to open one and have it be anything but a money hole for a while. If you want to make money, shops are good given time and the ability to keep them stocked, but performing might be more accessible (though a bit of a grind) in the early game, and once you have the skill it's probably faster, more reliable and easier to do performance quests for gold than pretty much anythig else.

In any case, I'd recommend not worrying about gold for a while. Platinum is far more valuable. Do quests, level up your skills, become more powerful. Trade cure corruption potions or stacks of oracle scrolls to adventurer's to get gear. There aren't many things you need gold for: real estate deeds and potions of potential, mostly. Those are definitely very useful, but it's sort of a long term endeavor to set up a castle and level up vendors to farm potions from.

If you're at a stage of the game where setting foot in the puppy cave is even something that would occur to you, seriously...don't worry about gold. You don't need it yet. Do quests for platinum and level your skills more.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 291