Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 291

Author Topic: Elona  (Read 566467 times)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elona
« Reply #2880 on: June 05, 2013, 01:47:33 pm »

Well, I can assume that farming was involved.
Most certainly. Time played: 305 hours.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: June 05, 2013, 02:22:38 pm »

Well, there is just plain grinding skills and stats. Though it isn't quite as neccesary anymore with E+'s traveling skill. Your stats will go up while you travel from town to town. A fair bit of the stats also comes from drinking a blessed restore body/spirit potion, they'll give you a nice semi permanent stat buff. Also of note, is that it is a gened toon, I've got several generations of toons behind this one and quite a bit of gear inherited down through them, and it saves the total time played on all of them there.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 02:28:05 pm by Patchy »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: June 05, 2013, 02:30:05 pm »

I have sometime read about people using Descent potion to lose levels in order to be able to get easier potential and increase for skills.
Is it still usefull for Elona+ or will the big Travelling improvement be enough ? (my currently level 24 character have not found a single Descent potion so far)

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: June 05, 2013, 02:34:03 pm »

I think the traveling improvement should be enough. And I don't think level is all that bad anymore, its the fame you want to watch and attempt to control as much as possible.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: June 05, 2013, 02:43:57 pm »

I guess I don't really understand the mechanics of this game deeply, is there a good page that explains how weapon damage and leveling actually works?  I've checked the wiki and I couldn't find a place that boiled everything down for me.
As for character levels, those are basically nothing but good. I haven't looked much into melee, but for mages, your level directly acts as a multiplier for mana, and same goes for HP. It also partly determines how good the loot you get is. There are only 2 negatives, both of which are minor to the point of being trivial: the first is higher cash penalties for things like the thieves random event, the second is slightly higher taxes. Aside from those trivially unimportant things, it does a ton of great stuff for you (more cash from good random events too!) and generally means high character level is a very good thing. More HP, more MP, more feats, more free skill training & potential, more/better loot, better cash from good random events, better treasure from treasure maps, and the list goes on. Levels: http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/Experience

Edit: As stated, fame is the real one to watch and control. However, if you aren't running dungeons back to back, you won't build up too much. In E+, it seems to be really easy to control fame above around 10k. Fame from quests decreased over time for me; dunno if that's based on level or fame, and the negative fame from failing quests increased dramatically. Currently, succeeding at a farming quest increases my fame by about 30. Failing one decreases it by over 600. Early on, it's much more even; though again, I dunno if that's levels or fame based.

As for melee combat, here's my understanding of the basics; which may be wildly inaccurate.
1 DV = +1% evade chance; this will quickly go above 100%, you will still be hit because hit chance can also go above 100%; dunno if the two are subtracted, or if it's some sort of ratio thing. There's also the Greater Evasion skill from the mage guild; this either gives you a second evade roll or allows you to evade crits, wiki people weren't sure on which exactly. Crits will otherwise always hit, even if you were able to evade all enemy attacks.
Evasion does not help for typical damage spells, be they arrow, bolt, or ball.
PV does a damage reduction; FinalDamage = InitialDmg-(PVPercentageValue*InitialDmg+PVDiceRollValue)
There's also a hidden PV bonus from armor skills; something on the order of +2PV per level of the armor skill you are using.
Not sure whether PV has an effect on magic or not; I would think not, but I need to do more experiments in that area, as my last one didn't have adequate control groups.

As for magic, this post suggests NPCs have an inherent resistance to all sorts based on level:
http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:8456
which is likely the cause of many of the experiences us magic users have of our spells being very ineffective against higher level enemies, but 1-shotting them just a few levels later.
Spell potential increases by 20% per sleep in E+, up to a maximum of 400%.
Spell stock use decreases with spell level, and is proportional to MP cost. The wiki is unclear if it's proportional to base cost or cost with level modifiers. Either way, stock use decreases with levels from what I've seen. The main exception to this general rule is Wizard's Harvest, which seems to stay the same, if not increase, with spell use.
Spell stock gains from reading books decreases in a logarithmic fashion relative to current spell stock; wiki gives the formula "RandMod * (Memorization + 100) / (50 * ln(10 + CurrentSpellStock))"
Spell MP cost increases with level, with the equation Cost = BaseCost + BaseCost * SpellLevel / 25
Resistance to a school of magic also provides a bonus to casting with that type of magic; wiki was unclear as to how powerful the bonus is.
The "Enhances your spells" enchantment does so either through a multiplier to your spell level for any given spell or through a flat damage/duration bonus; the wiki had conflicting info there.
The "Enhances your casting" enchantment is a multiplier which affects casting chance.
Damage/duration/effects of spells increase with level.
Damage of spells also increases with Magic levels; the exact equations vary based on spell.
Magic Dart damage equation: (2+Magic/50+L/12)d(11+(L-1)/6)
Nerve Arrow: (1+Magic/18+(L+5)/7)d(11+2L/5)
Chaos Eye: (1+Magic/18+(L+5)/7)d(11+2L/5)
Fire Bolt:  (2+Magic/20+L/5)d(6+(2L+3)/5)
Lightning Bolt: (2+Magic/20+L/5)d(6+(2L+3)/5)
Ice Ball: (1+magic/20+L/5)d(6+(2L+3)/5)

EDIT: LOLNOPE, WIKI EQUATIONS ARE ALL WRONG
So as you can see, not all damage spells are created equal. That said, I suspect these equations are somewhat out of date. Lightning and fire bolts have very different damage at the same level in E+1.19, despite this saying their equations for the rolls should be the same. So take with a bit grain of salt. So as you level, pay attention/write down the changes, derive the equations, and update the wiki if it's incorrect.
With more of them listed on the wiki: http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/Spells
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 04:03:28 pm by alway »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: June 05, 2013, 03:54:30 pm »

Apparently if you keep your fame low to avoid the rogue ambush spam and their increase in power, there are 2 town random quests that you'll then never see :
http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/Panic  (need 30000 fame)
http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/Challenge    (need 50000 fame)

They sound fun, though i'm very far from having that much fame (having kept it under control with several Party Time failures)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: June 05, 2013, 04:02:57 pm »

Oh yeah, just comparing my damage with those spell equations... They're completely off. According to those, my level of Ice Ball should do 15d28; it does 14d62. Lightning bolt should be 14d23; it's 12d36. Nerve arrow would do 8d17, but actually does 8d25. Yeah, don't trust those equations AT ALL. From what I've seen, the bit to the right of the 'd' could even be non-linear. Gonna keep track of some low ones while I level them some time tonight.

Additionally, in E+ 1.19, wearing medium armor seems to only decrease casting chance by 3%, unlike the wiki which suggests 8%.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 04:07:36 pm by alway »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: June 05, 2013, 04:30:44 pm »

In E+, at least the latest versions, your resistance will boost magic damage. Which is why fairies are probably the best early mages now.

From changelog You now get bonus spell power depending on how high your elemental resist on that element is.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Markus

• Bay Watcher
  • [Alignment:Lawful Bacon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: June 05, 2013, 05:05:26 pm »

Leveling up also spawns higher level enemies, regardless of fame.

Ask any wizard mode pc who used the gain_exp command. =P

Markus

• Bay Watcher
  • [Alignment:Lawful Bacon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: June 05, 2013, 05:38:54 pm »

Quick, bay12, I need your help!

How do I take screen? (Screen shot.) The wiki says nothing about this!

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: June 05, 2013, 05:41:34 pm »

dunno about the ingame one, but use print screen and paste it into your default picture editing program(MsPaint?:P)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: June 06, 2013, 12:57:43 am »

Whoa. Be on the look out for 'scroll of gain attribute.' Those things are awesome. Just got the mining skill for free, saving me 50 plat.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: June 06, 2013, 01:15:25 am »

Yup, they give you 1 level in any random skill, including ones you know. Never seen one in this playthrough though.

"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: June 06, 2013, 02:50:23 am »

Yeah, I got one while speed-running dungeons for cash, plat, and small medals.

I've also been spending hundreds of thousands on spellbooks to grind up Speed, Slow, and Silence spells after my terrible first attempt at the boss. Act1 final boss won't know what hit him. Because he won't have the turns to react.

Slow: 28 mana, level 46, 33t Decreases speed by 122.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 02:52:05 am by alway »

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: June 06, 2013, 03:14:41 am »

Yeah, I got one while speed-running dungeons for cash, plat, and small medals.

I've also been spending hundreds of thousands on spellbooks to grind up Speed, Slow, and Silence spells after my terrible first attempt at the boss. Act1 final boss won't know what hit him. Because he won't have the turns to react.

Slow: 28 mana, level 46, 33t Decreases speed by 122.

Do only static dungeons give plats?

Edit: who's character is "White hair Light uy"?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 04:46:53 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 291