Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 291

Author Topic: Elona  (Read 566396 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elona
« Reply #4035 on: December 03, 2014, 02:08:34 am »

The value in restarting is that you get to restart. No really, I think that's basically it. If you don't like your race/class combo, if you want to upgrade from an older version before INI, stuff like that.
You restart, but can keep your good gear(once you find deeds of heirship), plus I think you get a bonus to the skill points per level. Plus that new stuff that just went in.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: December 03, 2014, 11:34:57 am »

what is the value of making a gene and restarting?

Grind elimination. Making a new race/class combo, but still keeping your good equipment.

It's nice for race/class combos that have slow starts or special equipment needs (for example, being able to send over a nice set of gear for a Fairy Claymore), but isn't a huge game changer overall.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: December 03, 2014, 08:24:09 pm »

Woah. This update sounds awesome in terms of cutting out a lot of the tedious grind. I'm not anti-grind perse or I wouldn't have gotten into this game to begin with, but who really enjoys spamming deliveries and other jobs to learn new skills, right? :P

I'm torn on whether to make a gene and start over. My wizard is fairly far along. But even though I thought I solved the INI problem with EloSnack, I still don't seem to gain any AP from even strong enemies... And I'd be able to get back up to speed in a fraction of the time. If I did start over I'd try a different playstyle though.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: December 04, 2014, 11:56:18 am »

what is the value of making a gene and restarting?

To make use of the low-level advantage while at the simultaneously having much better gear to help you out. More specifically, characters of level 5 or lower are exempt from paying taxes, so to maximize that benefit, you'll need to find some way to stay and survive at that level for as long as possible. More often than not, this involves having as much gear with the "Slows your growth" enchantment, super-powerful equipment relative to that level, and maybe a collection of monster balls filled with high level monsters.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: December 04, 2014, 02:18:48 pm »

I've been putting off playing and restarting my char since the ap(ini) update. Had a lot of work put into her and really wasn't looking forward to restarting again. But the changes do make the thought of restarting a lot more bearable considering all the grinding time I've sunk into my current char.

Slowing your level growth is pretty much a thing of the past, it's actually a fair bit more beneficial to go ahead and level up. The no taxes under lvl 5 is a minor perk at best now, since gold is pretty easy to obtain even for a brand new char with no inheritance. The big advantage to genes is faster and easier growth by having some solid equipment to start. The inheritance deeds cost a pittance compared to what you would normally have to go through to get a set of good equipment with a fresh char.

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: December 06, 2014, 05:48:20 pm »

Of note, since wealth is now partially inherited, for rich characters, getting a full set of plate is now as simple as reaching the closest general goods vendor.

Been working quite a bit experimenting with buildings. I have found a rather interesting bit of behaviour regarding abandoned ranches that might prove useful. Summoning a neutral creature through a strange diary and then altering it into a hostile monster through either a potion of mutation or rod of change creature makes it into a permanent enemy that will respawn on the north-western corner of the map after every few in-game days. Unfortunately, I have yet to find out how to remove such creatures after they're spawned, and they have a nasty tendency to prey on my stationed pets if I don't spawn additional neutral monsters from the diary to combat them.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: December 06, 2014, 05:59:47 pm »

The question becomes, do your stationed monsters get to keep the stat gains?
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: December 06, 2014, 07:52:17 pm »

I've been thinking of playing a completely different character, most of my experience of Elona comes from casters, grinding the spells to reach very high damage levels, so i would like for a new character to start with a melee one.

But remembering some of the insanity with some one-shotting monsters (without even mentionning the robbing party as i usually kept fame high enough to access the higher level quests) , i'm wondering : is it actually viable to play a purely melee character in Elona ?

Managed to complete the game (well at least the Zeome part i mean) with my old caster after more than 50 hours invested in it, but i have no experience with non caster in that game.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: December 07, 2014, 04:08:04 am »

In my opinion it is possible to play as a melee-only character, though I'd suggest going for a melee-oriented one instead. Fully cutting off ranged attacks from yourself both makes it more tedious to wipe weaker monsters from the field, more dangerous if you're fighting acidic or explosive enemies, and more annoying if you're fighting a enemy that is very fast.

If nothing else, if you're going melee-only, get the Shadow Step ability. Some times you just don't want to have to charge all the way to smash the enemy's face in.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: December 07, 2014, 05:05:10 pm »

Throwing works well with a melee oriented char too. Since it gets boosted by your tactics skill and that should be very high as a melee char, and there are some very nice throwing weapons out there. I will echo getting shadow step, it is a godsend for the speedy keep away mobs, and can function as a nice targeted teleport when the situation gets dicey, though I'd still keep some scrolls/rods handy for that as well. Also grab those hp boosting feats, you will need loads of hp, especially once the enemy mobs start throwing down the charge-meter attacks too. As a fairy claymore, my hp was definately lacking even with those feats, if the charge attack didn't 1 shot me, I still needed to tele away or risk trying to heal in battle.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: December 07, 2014, 06:53:31 pm »

Thanks, so pure melee is as i thought not really viable, but i should aim instead with some hybrid melee + some kind of ranged attack possibility.

1piemaster1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: December 21, 2014, 02:26:03 am »

Whats the best way to get things like coldproof and fireproof blankets? I'm starting to run into a lot of red and blue baptists along with other monsters with the ability to destroy my items. I'm not really finding enough of the blankets in dungeons, and the potions are rare.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: December 21, 2014, 02:56:24 am »

Whats the best way to get things like coldproof and fireproof blankets? I'm starting to run into a lot of red and blue baptists along with other monsters with the ability to destroy my items. I'm not really finding enough of the blankets in dungeons, and the potions are rare.
I like to check with general vendors when I have the chance, and buy whatever blankets they offer.

Also, rods of silence help.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: December 21, 2014, 03:36:24 am »

It also seems that if you have high resistances to fire/cold, your stuff breaks less. If you can find a magatama, that prevents anything from being destroyed in fires. And at least to me, it looked like stuff just kinda stopped burning and shattering after level 25 or so, maybe related to resistance.

TLDR: Magatamas. (needs elona+1.30something or so but that's pretty much a given)
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: December 21, 2014, 09:16:42 am »

It also seems that if you have high resistances to fire/cold, your stuff breaks less. If you can find a magatama, that prevents anything from being destroyed in fires. And at least to me, it looked like stuff just kinda stopped burning and shattering after level 25 or so, maybe related to resistance.

TLDR: Magatamas. (needs elona+1.30something or so but that's pretty much a given)

That's probably not true... read the comments:
http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/Magatama
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 291