Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 709

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1296744 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #2730 on: June 08, 2014, 05:59:27 am »

I suppose I just get a little worked up when I see a game I played for free when I was young being sold for 15 dollars on steam.
Well it's got thousands of maps now which are also much larger than in the earlier instalments and a lot more features, there's a mapmaker, it's got an actual story. Plus it's addicting as hell! 15 dollars is worth the amount of replayability that comes with that game. There's even a unit now that can terraform the levels to change the terrain, which is a HUGE game changer since you can now create your own chokepoints.

EDIT: Wish I could buy it right now, but I'm saving every cent for a something important.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 06:01:24 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: June 08, 2014, 06:11:21 am »

I like shorter games than longer games, because I'm usually a quality over quantity sort of person, and I have a pretty short attention span so I end up abandoning games that would take me longer than a week to play.

The few exceptions to this would be Skyrim, which I played for half a year before getting bored of.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2732 on: June 08, 2014, 06:34:37 am »

Horde is defending Wintergrasp, I hop over expecting it to be the usual 15 minute AFK followed by some free honour. Instead, I'm dicking around shooting the cannons at the sky, when I hear the distinctive thudding of a siege engine, so I hop over to the other side of the wall and start raining death down on it, prompting the shaman inside to bail and run. Unfortunately his rogue friend was battering a different wall.

So I retreat into the inner courtyard, watching the two siege engines roll into place. I expect the dudes inside to dismount and messily murder me, but instead they seem intent on destroying the walls, so I go to work. A few rotations later the first siege engine drops, I kill the rogue that was manning it and turn onto the second, whittling at it as the driver finishes off the wall and moves to the inner keep door. It takes a while, but he's seconds away from finishing off the door when I smash his demolisher down, merrily chasing him around the fort for a while before killing him.

I go back to my forward position and observe the rogue returning, but he's managed to get his demolisher half killed so it's an easy job to finish it off. Just as I've turned him into a picushion again, my erstwhile companion whom I hadn't noticed until this point finishes demolishing the last Alliance tower, leaving them just 30 seconds to get a siege engine back to Wintergrasph Fortress and finish the game.

tl;dr, I managed to solo defend WG against a pair of dudes who, if they'd used even a jot of sense and dismounted their siege engines to kill me first, should have won.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2733 on: June 08, 2014, 06:37:44 am »

Game?

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2734 on: June 08, 2014, 06:40:06 am »

T'was World of Warcraft.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: June 08, 2014, 12:02:11 pm »

Yeah, many maps on CW3 take up to or over 3 hours, sometimes. If you include restarts, there's one I'm working on beating that has taken me a sum total of over 72 hours. It's one of Planetfall's maps; the man (or woman) is an evil genius, and I'm a big, big fan of his (or hers).
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: June 08, 2014, 05:29:56 pm »

It took 11 design models, but I finally landed on the Mun in a way that doesn't involve leaving an artificially -made crater there.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: June 12, 2014, 09:18:28 am »

Started as Charlemagne in a Terra map, randomized starting positions (i.e, Sometimes old world, Sometimes everywhere but one 'continent', sometimes everywhere) and random sea level, temperature.  I love the sea level option, because high and low sea levels offer interesting geography.

Rolled a dry, presumably everywhere, medium sea map.  That means lots of dessert and tundra, and lots of North-South empires as we follow the rivers.  And lots of floodplains.  Charlemagne does the Tundra start things, and I follow the floodplains into some horse.  Then I grab masonry, despite not having a single stone on the map, snag the Great Wall, and copper after.  Jiao decides he is religious and beats Mansa to Meditation, founding Christianity.  Mansa fumes and takes Islam.

Mans converts most of the known world to Islam, I prepare to attack Jiao.  Then Jiao loses his holy city to barbs when the Swordsman-Barb event rolls.  I grab it, spam missionaries, and convert Suryavarman while Julius DoW Jiao.  Mansa DoWs Sury, and pounds him for half his empire.  I DoW Julius, gift a stack of warriors to Sury while gifting him Iron and Iron working, and watch Sury take it back.  Julius' legions were tough, but not a match for Jiao's horse and my catapults.  Hayua, that stubborn ass with his own lonely religion, threatens me twice for small lump sums of money, which I grant until he is pleased.  I gift him backtechs and he DoWs Mansa.

I have the world's largest religion now.  The downside?  Mansa snagged the AP.  Other than that I have only to worry about the others I haven't met. 
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: June 12, 2014, 03:48:18 pm »

Grabbing Uke and kicking him resulted in my arm being detached at the shoulder for some reason. Then my severed arm began slamming itself into Uke's face repeatedly, using the shoulder joint as a blunt weapon. Even after Uke's head fell off it began slamming into his torso.

Randomly flailing about, I grabbed Uke, jumped, flipped him over, and suplexed him so hard it snapped his head off.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: June 12, 2014, 05:46:34 pm »

Look vaguely familiar?

And I decided to (mostly) peacemonger now.,  Hayua and Wang will probably get DoWed, but otherwise if its not free religion it Christianity.  All hail my 104 gp a turn Church of the Nativity!
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: June 12, 2014, 08:11:29 pm »

I often steal the cross for my State Atheism. It's lolworthy for a few minutes, then gets old fast.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: June 12, 2014, 08:37:04 pm »

It was tricky, but I mamaged to complete a campaign mission in which I was vastly outnumbered, and had to survive 14 days as a weak CO. I saw a narrow passage near the end of my territory, and I instantly came up with the strategy of going Full Spartan, piling up mech and infantry units in said passage. It worked!

Advance Wars 2

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2742 on: June 12, 2014, 08:49:44 pm »

It was tricky, but I mamaged to complete a campaign mission in which I was vastly outnumbered, and had to survive 14 days as a weak CO. I saw a narrow passage near the end of my territory, and I instantly came up with the strategy of going Full Spartan, piling up mech and infantry units in said passage. It worked!

Advance Wars 2
Two Week Test is a pretty fun mission. In the Hard campaign Lash starts with a bunch of predeployed units, including a battleship(!). Luckily it's still got the same time limit. :p

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: June 13, 2014, 04:41:23 am »

and had to survive 14 days as a weak CO.
Weak? Colin is the most broken CO in the entire game. When you are running around with two Neotanks for every Md. Tank the enemy has, the damage penalty is pretty much negligible.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2744 on: June 13, 2014, 05:59:10 am »

and had to survive 14 days as a weak CO.
Weak? Colin is the most broken CO in the entire game. When you are running around with two Neotanks for every Md. Tank the enemy has, the damage penalty is pretty much negligible.
He's not the best CO for that mission I'd say, since you're up against Lash, who starts with a lot of buildings. I'd have rather had Sami to cap quicker or Max to boost survivability, since all you have to do is survive 14 days.

But nah Colin owns pretty much any War Room map.
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 709