Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 709

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1296622 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #435 on: April 10, 2012, 12:02:55 pm »

Crossed the river dividing the map, declared war on the Numidians, and took a city, a short distance away from their capital. They asked for peace, offering tribute. I took their offer. Built up a powerful military force at that city. Towards the endgame, I started a wonder timer after building the Space Program, and they declared war. A few seconds later, several cruise missiles destroyed the fortifactions around their capital, and nuclear bomb was dropped on the city itself. My army swiftly followed up, taking their capital.

Repeat for the three remaining cities.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: April 10, 2012, 12:37:31 pm »

Sniped all the nazis, the nazi wizards, the nazi femme fatales, the nazi power-armor trooper, the nazi dominatrix/necromancers, and the nazi shield generators in a city block.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 12:39:05 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 10, 2012, 05:36:48 pm »

Sniped all the nazis, the nazi wizards, the nazi femme fatales, the nazi power-armor trooper, the nazi dominatrix/necromancers, and the nazi shield generators in a city block.

I only ever played the old computer one.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #438 on: April 10, 2012, 10:48:03 pm »

My vault of *untrained* Vault-Dwellers got saved from a giant (no exaggeration) deathclaw by a claptrap pushing it into a wooden cage (placed only where those damn thieves and snatchers kept striking from). Every Vault-Dweller survived by sheer luck that the thing landed in the right place at the right time, and I only lost an eyebot and my claptrap's hands and antenna in the process (I had more firepower with a couple Mr. Gutsy's and Mr. Handy's within the vault; They were too slow to make it in time. Claptrap and Eyebot, however, are little bullets, albeit, hollowpoint soda cans). Now I have a new pet giant deathclaw (in good condition) that will scare the crap outta anyone that dares go near my base.

DF w/ Deon's Wastelands (.92b) mod

I demand an illustration of this scene.

EDIT:
CRAP!!! I don't have a dungeon master. Now I have this thing inside the core of my vault. Oh boy!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 11:08:37 pm by Itnetlolor »

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: April 13, 2012, 04:46:50 pm »

I got the feeling I redefined "awesome" as I destroyed a Tiger II with a light tank destroyer by shooting off it's tracks and driving the TD so close to the enemy tank that it's cannon couldn't aim at the TD (the cannon was actually so long that the end of the barrel was further from the tank then any part of the TD), then just started firing at some assorted weak spots.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: April 17, 2012, 07:47:46 am »

Survived 4 consecutive coup d'etat attempts while pissing off the USA repeatedly. I even managed to end the game peacefully, without dying.

Hidden Agenda

Also, fighting a losing war with Iraq and ending it with a nuke. That pushed Iraq's forces to over 10 million, according to the game, since everyone hates you the moment you press the big red button. And I still managed to take Iraq over without getting nuked back.

Shadow President.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 08:00:47 am by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: April 17, 2012, 08:56:29 am »

Which executable do you actually need to run to play Shadow President?
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: April 17, 2012, 09:29:24 am »

Which executable do you actually need to run to play Shadow President?
SHADOW.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: April 17, 2012, 02:29:45 pm »

You'll also very likely need DOSBox.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: April 17, 2012, 03:59:48 pm »

The other day, Playing mass effect three again(Still pissed at the ending btw) I biotic charged+nova'd a cerberus trooper so hard into a wall he literally turned into a bloody paste outline!
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: April 17, 2012, 05:26:39 pm »

Was throwing bombs at a wall to try and take it down.  The doors were a couple tiles up and there was a trapdoor'd spike moat in front of it, so I couldn't really get up close to smash the doors down. 

I threw a bomb at the door trying to time the blast to take out a chunk of it, and an enemy archer picked the worst time to open the door to fire a shot.  The archer opened the door and fired an arrow, hitting me for a bit of damage, but my bomb was already flying through the air, entered the open door and landed right on the middle tile of the three tile thick wall.

BOOM.  The archer is gibbed, and the entire wall, defenders and catapult on the roof and all, collapses into a pile of rubble and limbs as the bomb takes out every single one of the door tiles supporting the structure.  I was sadly flattened as well, but we won the round in the end.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: April 17, 2012, 06:50:34 pm »

damn, I gotta try KAG, now.

Yes, yes you do.  :)

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: April 18, 2012, 05:11:40 am »

It started with me seeing a sectoid battleship with a base creation mission.  I fill up the sky-ranger with all my units that have a decent Psi defense (I'm using XCOMutil, so you can see psi defense early in the game).  Unfortunately, the skyranger was too slow, and the base was created.  The end of the month is coming up and I hadn't been doing to well, so I needed the points.  I told the skyranger to land anyway.  After I landed, I realized with horror that I hadn't prepped for taking on those darn cyberdisks: almost everyone was armed with only laser rifles, with two small launchers thrown in for capturing prisoners and a single heavy plasma.  I might get lucky and kill it in one shot, or I might get shot by reaction fire.  There was also the point that my entire crew was made of rookies, save for the Psi-inept commander(last mission was a terror disaster that cost me almost all of my vets).  I send the tank down the shaft: it gets a shot off at a sectoid sitting there before getting downed by a cyberdisk.  It was at this point that I noticed that the exit zone was conveniently next to the command center.  So, I send a man down.  He gets shot from the side, down, but only wounded not dead.  I send another down facing the right direction and take out the sectoid standing there.  Medic patches up the wounded man, who was then regulated to the exit zone for the remainder of combat (he only had 3 health left).  I know the cyberdisk is wandering around somewhere, so I had to be quick. 

I used the plasma to cut a hole in the side of the command center, and rushed everyone across the short hall.  They're flinging Psi at us, and one man goes berserk, despite his high psi defense.  He kills one of his fellow teammates in his rage, but then recovers.  Breaching the bottom level of the command center, we see one shadowy figure in the darkness above.  The first small launcher missed high, but the second hit.  I send a man up to look around, and it turns out the launcher had caught three of them in one shot.  I grab the bodies of the commander and two leaders, along with the blaster launcher which I had not encountered until this point.  Then it's a rush to the exit.  The men carrying the bodies are slow, so I lay down a smoke screen for them with some smoke grenades.  The last man up top drops the high explosive, then high tails it outta there.  The explosion takes out the command stations.  Through the smoke screen, we see another sectoid come up to the rear.  This isn't good, as most of the men are in a tight clump in the cramped corridors.  Luckily, he's taken care of on the first volley, only to be replaced by another charging at the front.  At this point, I figure there's no danger in giving my Psi-inept commander a weapon, so he grabs a rifle and comes down the grav lift.  He misses on his first shot, but the second score a hit.  The way was clear, and the men with the blaster launcher and the prisoners get to the exit zone.  The commander grabs the bodies of the first two sectoids killed, and then joins his men in leaving that dark base.

A textbook hit and run operation, with the added benefit of a commander to interview later, a leader to get Psi from, and finally a blaster launcher to have the eggheads look at.  A promising rookie downed, but the next day, funding jumped by about 900,000.

All generalizations are false....including this one.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: April 18, 2012, 12:00:40 pm »

I was stuck in a lengthy war in Iraq. I was losing. Badly. So I launched a nuke into the country. Iraq surrendered in under a week. People did NOT like this in the slightest. As a matter of fact, almost every European country was trying to assassinate me. The only one that came close to, however, was China, who managed to kill the Secretary of The State. Eventually, everyone was minding their own buisness. Except for Poland. Poland was constantly trying to overthrow the US government. So, I got sick of this and invaded. Many countries aided me in my invasion, but Poland had one ally far more powerful than me. The Soviet Union. The war, it was one I could not win. So I surrendered and began to kiss Poland's arse a bit.

But then, it seemed as if Poland had a bit of a disagreement with the Soviets. I saw that it was my time to strike, to have my revenge at last. I invaded. Poland's military alone was hardly a threat. In under a month, Poland was under US control. I decided to be peaceful, and other countries decided the same. Even the Soviets were playing nice. Then, China and the Soviets had a bit of a fight, leading to the Soviet Union invading China. I saved to see what I could do. Defending China with all of my troops didn't work, attacking the countries assisting the Soviets didn't work, making China useless and weak, so the Soviets wouldn't gain anything by taking them over didn't work either.

It looked like a doomed situation. If Soviet Russia took China, they'd become even MORE of a military and nuclear superpower. They took China, which lead to the US becoming extremely friendly with them, due to fear of invasions. Everything was fairly nice. Until the Soviets started to attack American owned countries, like Iraq and Poland. A decent amount of time was put into moving troops into countries the Soviets were invading. The Soviets were throwing coup d'etats everywhere. They even surgical striked several places, something the AI rarely does.

Eventually, the Soviet union started to tear its self apart from within. There were many riots, and even a civil war. The current government won over the revolutionaries and immerged even more powerful than before. Their leadership effectiveness was 100%. Eventually, they started to condemn the US. This was slightly concerning, but then they finally did something worthy of action. They armed rebels in the US. This lead to the entire US military invading the Soviet Union. We were getting our arses kicked. While the Soviets had under one hundred thousand dollars of damage, we had over six million. Our troops started to lose the will to fight, but I just poured more in. Eventually, I saw that the situation was hopeless. There was nothing I could do. The Soviets had won.

But, then, just as I was about to press the "surrender to opponent" button, the Soviets gave up and handed control of the country to the US. We had taken the other world superpower. We had won at last. The Soviet forces still remain in China, but not for long. We will win this battle.

Better dead than Red.

[EDIT] It appears as if they didn't surrender first, but due to the extremely high ambition and extremely low ethic of the USA at the time, they were autonuked because we lost the war. The nuking made them surrender.. 'Eh, still. We won.

Oh, shit, sorry for forgetting to add the name of the game. It's Shadow President.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 12:15:01 pm by Angel Of Death »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 18, 2012, 12:10:49 pm »

I took out an ogre with a berserk potion yesterday. While playing as a low level deep elf summoner. With a dwarven shortsword.

Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 709