Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 703 704 [705] 706 707 ... 709

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1292921 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #10560 on: September 04, 2023, 09:24:11 am »

Funny you say that, as I just beat the flagship with the Federation Cruiser using two Flak II’s and a Burst Laser II.

The Artillery Beam is also OP, I don’t think I’d have got through the first phase without it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10561 on: September 05, 2023, 10:24:02 am »

It is in fact perfectly feasible to beat the entire game using nothing but the artillery beam as far as offensive armament goes. It takes a bit longer, but I have done it and I am not particularly good at FTL. You just have to focus on defense and support tech rather than cramming on the best weapons possible.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10562 on: September 06, 2023, 08:41:22 am »

Been playing a neat, cheap little auto-battler card game called Endgame of Devil. You choose monster cards, then they get placed on a 5x5 grid to fight successively harder waves of adventurers. You have to beat the adventurers before their cooldowns reach 0 (most of them have to be beaten in 5-7 turns), after which they steal your treasure. Lose three treasure, you lose the game.

Really simple, really fun. But the thing I love the most is despite RNG, there is a certain element of skill to being able to understand all the mechanics and chain them together to produce combos capable of lasting endless mode. The basic campaign is fairly easy to win with any kind of "theme." But as drops are random, it can be pretty hard to get the "theme" you want. But when you do - you really get the "feel" of creating a proper devil boss's lair. Like you can imagine in your head the toxic swamp when you successfully build a deck based off of toxic treants, toxic worm lairs and giant poison wyrms, with a bunch of murlocs going full mujahadeen in the mist.

Now I'm fairly good at reliably getting what I want. For example, one of the most frustrating decks to try and build is a vampire build. Manservants and vampire bats are fairly common minions. Manservants sacrifice themselves to buff vampires +3 attack, and vampire bats sacrifice themselves to give blood princes +3 attack. As the game progresses your likelihood of rolling legendary, mythic and epic monsters increases. The blood prince is an epic one, but the vampire is legendary. The vampire gains +1 attack every 4 turns, and sacrifices itself to give all of its attack to the blood prince. In theory you can build up a big court of manservants, move into vampires, then unlock your final form blood prince. In practice you end up with a whole bunch of manservants, never roll a vampire, then get a blood prince... If you don't lose in the early game, because manservants suck.

My most painful run, I made it 59 waves in with 5 vampires, each one at >200 attack. I end up losing on the same wave I roll a blood prince, losing one round before the blood prince was about to absorb all the vampires and achieve apotheosis.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This was my best successful run at a vampire deck. I used a lot of magic items allowing for rerolls and free minions, + a gate that boosted my chance for legendary minions (but NOT mythic). This allowed me to get rid of a lot of the RNG and reliably build up loads of vampires. I got several magic items that gave more attack increases, and set up a sick magic item combo where killing adventurers gave my thunder & toxic, thunder and toxic gave me acceleration (which reduced my minion cooldowns), which caused them to gain attack every turn... Resulting in thick vampire attack buildup. In order to not die I grew some beefy dragons, then began sacrificing them to my four undead kings (unfortunately one of my undead kings got sacrificed by a necromancer... I got rid of the necromancer).

After sacrificing all of my "starter" minions, I ended up with a full blood prince romcom deck. I had the elder blood prince, who had eaten all of the vampires. His lesser gay partner, who was a younger blood prince, but still useful. The three undead kings, the blood princes' harem of succubi who gave +1 attack to all minions around them (including themselves), as well as three engines of woe which gave +3 attack to one random minion. The Undead Kings notably gained +5 attack every time a minion was sacrificed, so they scaled really well.

In the end my romcom blood prince deck made it to wave 76. The real prize turned out to be their four time hounds. Even if my blood prince was doing 3000 damage or my undead king was doing 1300 damage, the adventurers get exponentially higher in hit points whilst my guys were increasing linearly in attack points. Time hounds get to attack one more time for every 2 accelerate you have, meaning if you manage to stack up 99 accelerate, the time hounds are effectively doing their attack value x 48. In the end the undead kings and blood princes started struggling to deal with adventurers and I was near-totally dependent on the time hounds; when the time hounds couldn't clear the board in time, it was over.

There is a world where I get enough vampires & attack buffs and produce one giga blood prince who can make it to the end alone. Or a swarm of time hounds, going full hounds of tindalos.

But the real triumph came when I decided to go for a shub-niggurath build. Shub shub the black goat is an incredibly hard one to get running. Shub-niggurath is incredibly rare and spawns one tentacle every 2 rounds (every round if you stack accelerate). Tentacles temporarily gain +2 attack for every 3 tentacles on the board. Shubshub can make tentacles repeat their attack, and this is true if you stack shubs. I started with a balanced composition of toxic worms, undead kings, thunder elementals, thunder & fire dragons and a few werewolves. Aggressively banked my rerolls and then burned through them all until I got the GOATed relic which sacrifices one tentacle, giving its attack points to all other tentacles on the board. Using a bunch of mimic blob things and one orb, I managed to get FIVE SHUB SHUBS who rapidly began overwhelming my deck with tentacles, to the point where I nearly lost the game because I was running out of removals to delete the tentacles. As each tentacle started with 1 attack point, they were functionally useless against adventurers with >2000 HP.

I acquired two slimes, who began devouring my board of monsters. Slimes eat one of your monsters and gain their attack. Slimes are normally terrible as they wildly dislocate your combos, and your game-winning deck can just implode when a slime eats one of your key monsters. But as I had too many shub-nigguraths and tentacles this wasn't a problem. I intended to keep the slimes as any time I've tried to build a slime deck it's usually ended in failure, but after I cleared out the shubs down to one single shub... I realised I had achieved ultimate black goat deathcrawl total chaos blacksun victory

By trimming my deck down to 15 tentacles, one shub-shub and their elder lich caretaker, I could keep effectively doubling the attack of all fielded tentacles every 4 rounds. I soon found out there was a 9999 attack cap, but that was many thousands more than what I needed. I mulled over deleting shub-shub and getting rid of my orb that was sacrificing my tentacles every 4 turns, but for sentimental reasons I kept both, carefully tending to the tentacles so there was always a healthy population of max attack elder tentacles to give life to the baby tentacles.

And I actually managed to win "endless mode" as apparently it finishes on wave 100. To my regret I didn't take a scientific approach to this, as I didn't think endless mode had an end. Because if I did, I would've recorded the HP values of the final wave adventurers so I can figure out what "upper boundary" I need to get my werewolves or blood princes to in order to win 100 waves.

The final deck. The population of elder tentacles had reached a sort of equilibrium where it would alternate between peaks and troughs of baby tentacles to elder tentacles. All the while the elder lich tended carefully to the great garden of the black goat.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10563 on: September 06, 2023, 06:27:56 pm »

Ever since Luck be a Landlord blew up a bit, that style of game (I think the most common designation is "drafting", or slots based) has seen a handful of new riffs on it. There's at least one other swords and sorcery themed one I'm aware of (though I can't remember the name offhand), plus two or three farming themed ones out at this point.

We'll almost certainly be seeing more going forward, considering they're basically just less exploitative slot machines with some strategy added in, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10564 on: September 07, 2023, 09:36:14 am »

Ever since Luck be a Landlord blew up a bit, that style of game (I think the most common designation is "drafting", or slots based) has seen a handful of new riffs on it. There's at least one other swords and sorcery themed one I'm aware of (though I can't remember the name offhand), plus two or three farming themed ones out at this point.

We'll almost certainly be seeing more going forward, considering they're basically just less exploitative slot machines with some strategy added in, heh.
I'd give it two years before EA or Blizard-Activision try making their own version full of microtransactions. Personally I'm fuming over it

Just because in a hilarious stroke of bad luck I managed to make it to wave 76 rolling nothing but vampires. But not a single blood prince. I restart my game and roll 2 blood princes in a row, but no vampires. I just wanted to make one fat vampire boi :[

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10565 on: September 09, 2023, 02:28:09 am »

I know Forgitten Realms lore well enough to know what Auntie Ethel was from her name alone. I also know rhat while devils offer fair deals with harsh conditions, hags twist words to cause as much grief and suffering as possible. I had to hunt Auntie down.

I'm a drow wild magic sorcerer; breaking the illusion over the swamp was simple. The problem was that when that happened I was surrounded by redcaps. They were smart enough to target the main spellcaster - me, meaning I spent the entire fight either held by hold person, or dead. That's okay, because in my wisdom I had only prepared utiloty spells (and magic missile). Meanwhile Shadowheart was buffing and protecting the rest, Wyll was blasting with eldritch blast, and Karlach was dealing the real damage, at one point hitting a redcap with another redcap.

Then there were Auntie's masked thralls. Underwhelming, to be honest. One of them kept trying to hit Shadowheart with some spell, but couldn't get through her saving throws.

Finally there was Auntie Ethel herself. Being in her own lair gave her no advantage. Her illusory doubles were easily handled with my magic missile. Wyll and Shadowheart had good rolls on their attacks.
When the hag disguised herself as the captive woman, I had Shadowheart use that crappy divine cantrip on one of them. She hit the poor woman, leaving her with just 1 HP.
When the hag begged for her life, I obviously refused to let her live, and blastes her with my final magic missile.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10566 on: September 09, 2023, 08:13:24 am »

When the hag begged for her life, I obviously refused to let her live, and blastes her with my final magic missile.
My barbarian was using a silencing greatsword - I never got to hear the hag beg for mercy, because she didn't have the ability to speak, once I'd closed the distance. (Kudos to the developers for thinking of these things!)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10567 on: September 14, 2023, 08:52:35 pm »

My barbarian was using a silencing greatsword - I never got to hear the hag beg for mercy, because she didn't have the ability to speak, once I'd closed the distance. (Kudos to the developers for thinking of these things!)

Ooh, nice.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10568 on: September 15, 2023, 11:07:50 am »

By the point I was at Ethel, I think I was one level overlevelled.

Hag didn't stand a chance.

I'm looking forward to being able to continue BG3, hopefully multiplayer with my brother.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10569 on: September 15, 2023, 08:26:45 pm »

Finished the goddamn bouncer missions. I discovered that you can’t die while in Extreme Heat mode, and couple that with the payback ring that increases your damage when your health is low, everything is easy pickings.

Now I just need to finish the game on Legend (easy peasy with my lightsaber) and do the Majima Saga to get a juicy platinum.

Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10570 on: September 20, 2023, 10:14:40 pm »

Barely scraped a victory against the flagship. Sadly lost my four mantis boarders.

It would have gone better had the last guy on their ship not gone into the wing that broke off right at the end of the first fight, but I still won.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10571 on: September 20, 2023, 10:22:02 pm »

This doesn’t bode well for my current game. I have the Mantis B ship with 4 mantis boarders, and a full crew otherwise (one of which is Virus), though I did get stupendously lucky with some weapon drops and have an Ion Blast II, Flak II, and Burst Laser II, with a weapon pre-igniter. Main issue being I don’t have full shields or engines… but my boarders usually get through the enemy ships after one volley anyway.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10572 on: September 21, 2023, 10:48:51 am »

Yeah, the flagship turns on an AI if you kill the whole crew which slowly repairs the ship systems. It's better to kill everyone but one.

Boarding's insanely useful in the fight, especially for taking out the weapons, it's just that it's bad to use it the usual way of wiping out the crew.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10573 on: September 21, 2023, 08:37:19 pm »

Well I won it with that loadout, though swapped the ion blast for another flak II.

My ship was blown to bits a moment after landing the final blow, too :o still counted as a W though. Somewhat BS that on phase 2 the enemy drones from the power surge are still able to shoot even if you have destroyed the drone controller though.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10574 on: September 21, 2023, 08:48:18 pm »

Always get stealth. Both power surges can be mostly avoided with it.
Pages: 1 ... 703 704 [705] 706 707 ... 709