Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Colony Command - Recruiting for a game team - Need many roles filled  (Read 7502 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Colony Command - Recruiting for a game team - Need many roles filled
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2011, 01:06:42 pm »

Hmmm... I might have some time for a project.

Although I do mostly websites, GUI's, applications and editors in Javascript, I could make a game in it. Are you using a framework such as jQuery or mootools?

I can do Java, Perl, PHP, C++ and some others if you need anything server-side. I'm not too well-versed in HTML 5 and the possibilities of Canvas and WebGL, yet, because "if noone has it yet we're not going to invest in it", according to the CEO  :-\
Nevertheless, honing my skills can't be a bad thing. Let me know.

edit: Oh, and I did some actionscript back in 2005, I don't think that's still relevant, though.
I'll tell Glyph you're interested.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2011, 07:56:08 pm »

I've decided to ditch the HTML5 and javascript. Its got got some nice features, it seems, but it just feels miserable to work with. So I looked into haXe since I know that can generate javascript (while being a much more enjoyable language), but then I was like - fine, whatever. My performance tests of the HTML5 stuff just... wasn't very good, in general. Good, efficient code is certainly possible, but it's quite hard. If I'm gonna use this, I'll give it a nice smooth AS core.

I was suddenly reminded of why I enjoyed working with actionscript so much. I've made meaningful progress since the switch at almost twice the rate.

So the (front end) tech is definitely decided on for good at this point, and I've started converting my masses of program component outlines into something meaningful and functional. Wasted effort on the canvas stuff (which actually DOES has quite a bit of potential, but doesn't seem like it will be good enough for a while yet at least), but eh, some of that's to be expected at this stage. I doubt much if any of my current code will wind up in the final product either.

So thanks to the person who suggested haXe, it's very nice to work with! So far, at least.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2011, 08:45:37 pm »

I'd do writing personally but while my craft can be excellent by conventions are horrid and leave much to be desired.

In otherwords... I'd do writing but I'd need an editor. (no not hinting)

I really need to think of stuff I can do... *THINKS HARD!*

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2011, 11:20:01 pm »

I'd do writing personally but while my craft can be excellent by conventions are horrid and leave much to be desired.

In otherwords... I'd do writing but I'd need an editor. (no not hinting)

I really need to think of stuff I can do... *THINKS HARD!*

I've sent you my writing assignment via PM, so take a shot at that and we'll see what you're like.  Every writer needs editors anyway, hehe.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2011, 05:40:49 am »

For evaluation by a real-life game developer.

Roughly a half of my story goes like this:

A video game development studio faces a prospect of their leader's bankruptcy.
Sidenote:The studio's HQ is at the leader's home.
The leader is the vision of the team, and works part time as a university professor.
But he's run into debt and his bank threatens him with eviction.
The studio has a month to present a prototype to potential producers, so they get down to work with desperate abandon.
After a week they find a businessman interested in financing their work. But the businessman wants to have a say in the design, and the leader just can't agree to his ideas. Two days later a power surge brings their main computers down, and they are forced to cooperate, to get money to recover their data and continue their work.

How plausible is that? Also, I've got no idea what I mean by "potential producers". Maybe potential publishers would be a better idea, but I'm not sure how fantastical it would be if the studio had to make a finished product within a month, considering that most of the storyline of the game is written during that month... and the mechanics of magic is implemented. On the request of the businessman.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2011, 05:42:13 am »

We have a meeting tonight, right? How many more hours? I need to figure out the time.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2011, 07:02:47 am »

Starts two minutes ago. Did you not get invited to the google calender thing? It is wonderful because it figures out the time FOR you.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2011, 07:27:43 am »

How plausible is that? Also, I've got no idea what I mean by "potential producers". Maybe potential publishers would be a better idea, but I'm not sure how fantastical it would be if the studio had to make a finished product within a month, considering that most of the storyline of the game is written during that month... and the mechanics of magic is implemented. On the request of the businessman.
This has nothing at all to do with our project because we intend to produce and distribute the game ourselves. Also I follow good backup practices so a power outage or even a complete system failure wouldn't wipe out our work. As the project lead, I don't expect anything like that to happen.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2011, 07:56:33 am »

That thing with backup - I figured they were broke and there was a lot of stuff, so they couldn't afford to backup all of it.

Yeah, I guess it's not the most common situation in the indie world. I'll probably just fill all the blank spaces with made-up names. Not like my story is very serious or realistic.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2011, 11:55:50 pm »

Even though everyone and his brother has jumped up and wanted to write, I'd like to join them.  I don't see my brother out there, but that's okay, right?

I've always wanted to get into something fun like this, and writing sounds like my niche.  Fluff is my specialty.

Edit: If you'd like me to do some writing, you'll have to PM me.  Can't figure out my profile stuff, but I'll send you my E-Mail if you want.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 12:01:26 am by Knight of Fools »
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2011, 01:18:40 am »

Even though everyone and his brother has jumped up and wanted to write, I'd like to join them.  I don't see my brother out there, but that's okay, right?

I've always wanted to get into something fun like this, and writing sounds like my niche.  Fluff is my specialty.

Edit: If you'd like me to do some writing, you'll have to PM me.  Can't figure out my profile stuff, but I'll send you my E-Mail if you want.
Iituem should be contacting you soon.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2011, 04:05:42 pm »

Posting here to track this thread, I'd like to see how you go with haxe

btw, i'm pretty good with OpenGL, c++, done a bit of actionscript too

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2011, 12:16:18 pm »

I stumbled on a Missile Command commentary while wasting time.  This is very interesting, since Colony Command is a "Missile Command Clone".

Extra Credits: Narrative Mechanics (AKA: Missile Command is Brilliant)
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8