Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you most like to see next from LFR?

More tech tree!
- 36 (26.1%)
More ritual tree!
- 8 (5.8%)
More lore!
- 12 (8.7%)
More mythical weapons/armor!
- 22 (15.9%)
Plagues!
- 28 (20.3%)
More secrets!
- 21 (15.2%)
More mechanical constructs!
- 11 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 240

Author Topic: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.21a *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]  (Read 384758 times)

weegth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.21a *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]
« Reply #3480 on: January 27, 2014, 04:39:37 am »

Ran into a Jagged Crystal Dragon, he seems to be unkillable - there are several pages of messages "The Axe Lord hacks The Jagged Crystal Dragon in the head with his -damascus steel battle axe-, but the attack passes right through!". Is this working as intended? Had to kill him with dfhack.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: January 28, 2014, 10:15:58 am »

Ran into a Jagged Crystal Dragon, he seems to be unkillable - there are several pages of messages "The Axe Lord hacks The Jagged Crystal Dragon in the head with his -damascus steel battle axe-, but the attack passes right through!". Is this working as intended? Had to kill him with dfhack.

No, this is not working as intended.  Please post your errorlog (errorlog.txt in your DF directory).  This is either a tissue definition problem or a very rare bug.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 10:18:26 am by narhiril »

weegth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: January 28, 2014, 02:05:26 pm »

Reproduced it on fresh ASCII version - just unzipped, launched, went into arena. Only one of about 12 dragons was bugged, the rest took damage as normal. Bugged dragon still gets sick from blows to lower body/stunned from ones in the head. Errorlog is empty.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: January 28, 2014, 02:41:32 pm »

It's possible that the dragon itself is too big--perhaps remove variation in size.

weegth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: January 28, 2014, 03:26:16 pm »

It's possible that the dragon itself is too big--perhaps remove variation in size.
Had the same idea, and you are spot on - created bunch of dragons, checked size with gm-editor - all bugged ones have negative sizes:

What's strange is that status screen says this one is average in size, even though some gigantic ones aren't bugged.

EDIT: Further testing shows that exact same bug occurs for giant sperm whales. However, vanilla dragons seem to work fine (even though they are bigger than JCD) - probably because they never grow old enough! Gm-editor shows that dragons generated in arena are far from their maximum possible size, mostly being 150-200 years old. Guessing further, this is because of integer overflow somewhere - last four numbers in image above equal -2^31. If so, this is a DF bug, and modding in big creatures should be avoided until it's fixed - at least unless they only grow to bugged size very slowly - then we can say they grew so powerful mundane weapons can no longer harm them.

EDIT 2: Nope, it's more complicated than that. Can't seem to reproduce this with normal dragons by making them mature to full size fast.

EDIT 3: Turns out removing MAXAGE token fixes this (out of 60 JCDs not a single one was bugged). This probably makes them immortal, but looks like that was intended anyway.

EDIT 4: Did a bit more testing, and MAXAGE is indeed the culprit - DF spawns creatures with age in some range like [0:MAXAGE], and large value causes integer overflow while calculating size. If MAXAGE is not specified, birth_year is somewhere between -150 and -300 - no overflow.
Statistics on 100 JCD with maxage:

And without:

Resolved!  8)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 02:07:08 am by weegth »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: January 28, 2014, 03:39:10 pm »

Meager dwarven weapons cannot harm the Anti-dragons :P.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: January 29, 2014, 03:59:46 pm »

Had the same idea, and you are spot on - created bunch of dragons, checked size with gm-editor - all bugged ones have negative sizes:

What's strange is that status screen says this one is average in size, even though some gigantic ones aren't bugged.

EDIT: Further testing shows that exact same bug occurs for giant sperm whales. However, vanilla dragons seem to work fine (even though they are bigger than JCD) - probably because they never grow old enough! Gm-editor shows that dragons generated in arena are far from their maximum possible size, mostly being 150-200 years old. Guessing further, this is because of integer overflow somewhere - last four numbers in image above equal -2^31. If so, this is a DF bug, and modding in big creatures should be avoided until it's fixed - at least unless they only grow to bugged size very slowly - then we can say they grew so powerful mundane weapons can no longer harm them.

EDIT 2: Nope, it's more complicated than that. Can't seem to reproduce this with normal dragons by making them mature to full size fast.

EDIT 3: Turns out removing MAXAGE token fixes this (out of 60 JCDs not a single one was bugged). This probably makes them immortal, but looks like that was intended anyway.

EDIT 4: Did a bit more testing, and MAXAGE is indeed the culprit - DF spawns creatures with age in some range like [0:MAXAGE], and large value causes integer overflow while calculating size. If MAXAGE is not specified, birth_year is somewhere between -150 and -300 - no overflow.
Statistics on 100 JCD with maxage:

And without:

Resolved!  8)

I'll go ahead and comb through the larger creatures and take out those tokens then.  Off the top of my head, I can think of about a dozen of them that probably need to be changed.  This seems to be a little more complicated, though, as greater demons sometimes still bug out and don't have a maxage token, even though their size is less than 2^31. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 04:25:18 pm by narhiril »

weegth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: January 30, 2014, 12:18:09 am »

I'll go ahead and comb through the larger creatures and take out those tokens then.  Off the top of my head, I can think of about a dozen of them that probably need to be changed.  This seems to be a little more complicated, though, as greater demons sometimes still bug out and don't have a maxage token, even though their size is less than 2^31.
Yeah, it's a bit more complicated - doesn't happen just if (creature_age*creature_size)>2^31, larger values are required, otherwise vanilla dragons would be affected. Greater demons may be too big regardless of age - with sizes like 1,9e9 and 2e9 just genetic variation of 125 would push them past 2^31.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 08:53:17 am by weegth »

mober6

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: February 02, 2014, 09:01:57 pm »

Just a question, what exactly does shimmering sand do? AFAIK it just acts like regular sand

Also, do vines of xandu even exist? I have been creating worlds with only savage/good lands, and I have yet to come across them, although I have found the heavenly spices, and very very rarely the alcohol.

Also, it would be really nice to know what labor is needed for the ritual tree, because it is nearly impossible to get the right person on the altar you want.

There is also a chance of someone showing up as just a legendary savant? I thought the savants were supposed to start with really high abilities in one job
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 09:06:58 pm by mober6 »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: February 02, 2014, 09:05:47 pm »

Just a question, what exactly does shimmering sand do? AFAIK it just acts like regular sand
I think shimmering sand is just a type of sand, like red or black.

weegth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: February 03, 2014, 01:26:34 am »

Also, it would be really nice to know what labor is needed for the ritual tree, because it is nearly impossible to get the right person on the altar you want.
They use concentration, which can't be turned off. Use profiles.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: February 03, 2014, 08:00:10 pm »

They use concentration, which can't be turned off. Use profiles.

Yup, that's what I did.  I profile the "workshop" (temple) so only my designated Priests can work there, until I've got the symbols I want.  Then when I want someone to use the symbol, I profile it so only that person can work there.  Then swap back again afterward.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: February 04, 2014, 08:32:26 pm »

alrighty, in order of those questions!

when it's found as a layer on embark, or when you buy it from caravans (or on embark), shimmering sand acts just like any other sand. it's actually designed for the savage desert equivalent of evil weather for lfr. it'll potentially blind those caught in a cloud of it. most of us will only be introduced to it as layer material or from caravans or such

vines of xanadu, i've seen, but may have been from my altered versions of the plant-creation reactions. although, honestly, i haven't played df in a while (waiting anxiously for the new update!). do know i've gotten access to their products from caravans before, though.

the ritual tree stuff was already answered, and i pretty much do exactly what greycat does. although, i tend to give my alchemist and priest dwarves custom titles so i can easily figure out which one(s) get access to what workshop

and, for the 'legendary savant' dwarves, that just means they're the alchemy savants. since any other savants will show up as legendary whatever their savant skill is, but alchemist won't show up as a profession

bluntobj

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: February 10, 2014, 05:16:40 pm »

Regarding the new Vanguard tile : Ancient Vanguard Armory

This tile does not process in the Archeology Lab after it has been mined as the other Vanguard materials do.  The command to process a Vanguard Weapons Cache is available, and requires a Weapons Cache as the ingredient.  Is there an intermediate step I am missing to process the Armory into a weapons Cache?

Thanks much!

Jimexmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: February 10, 2014, 11:23:34 pm »

How do I gen a world without it crashing.
.34.11 version
Spess mehreens Spess mehreens we make our Enemies die
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 240