Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you most like to see next from LFR?

More tech tree!
- 36 (26.1%)
More ritual tree!
- 8 (5.8%)
More lore!
- 12 (8.7%)
More mythical weapons/armor!
- 22 (15.9%)
Plagues!
- 28 (20.3%)
More secrets!
- 21 (15.2%)
More mechanical constructs!
- 11 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 240

Author Topic: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.21a *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]  (Read 385157 times)

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
Re: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.20b *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]
« Reply #3390 on: October 25, 2013, 08:14:02 pm »

Hi everyone, I've started up an LFR fort recently, and I've managed to make it quite far up the mech tech tree. However, I've encountered a problem where I can't begin magnetic projectile research, even though I have all required reagents: copper bars, neodymium bars, iron bars, tanned hide and a stack of iron bolts. Anyone else got this?

Some of these reagents are imported, being in brackets, since I had to import the neodymium bars and some leather. Maybe thats the problem?

Edit: And after fiddling for a bit, suddenly its alright. Well, never mind then.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else really employed spider and other t4 constructs? Sure feels like it took forever for me to get to this level (5 ingame years of micromanagement). Are they effective?

Spiders are effective in numbers, but generally a pain to get them positioned properly.  I've had some success placing them in pits and dropping foes into them or confining them to small "death chambers."  As for the more advanced constructs, they're mediocre individually, but in even just a small group they can be frighteningly powerful.  My current fort has four mantids and a steel tarantula guarding (pastured at) my fort's surface entrance, and they tear just about anything short of a siege to shreds with some wear and tear and occasional losses, which I import the materials to replace.  I haven't had quite enough material for a mithril tarantula yet, but they have an additional attack that injects poison.  They keep the trade routes open without throwing away more dwarven lives. 

Constructs will really start to shine when I finish up scarabs, which will be made from steel, damascus steel, or mithril, will be war-trainable, and can be assigned to units as extremely powerful permanent bodyguards.  Golems are the next logical step after scarabs, but golems will (similar to in Dragon Age lore) require a dwarf rather than a slimer to become part of the golem's interface.  Golems will be substantially more powerful than scarabs, craftable from mithril, voidshard, damascus steel, or adamantite, war-trainable, and may come with different variants, each with different special abilities.  And before you ask, yes, adamantine golems are going to be overpowered as hell, but it will take a massive amount of both research and raw materials to create even a single one of them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: October 25, 2013, 08:16:03 pm »

Does this mean we're going to end up with the dwarven cyborgs I hypothesized much earlier?

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: October 26, 2013, 07:58:20 am »

Is that a relevant question?

Yeah. Has anyone used them, and if so, can they vouch for their effectiveness.

Anyway, Narhiril, given the problems at the moment with the Grum and cavern races not sieging during your tests, I take it the current cavern shedim won't, either?

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: October 26, 2013, 12:51:58 pm »

Ok, rather off topic, but that picture? I want to see that happen. Lightsabre duel with Inigo Montoya? Yes please!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: October 26, 2013, 12:54:03 pm »

Ok, rather off topic, but that picture? I want to see that happen. Lightsabre duel with Inigo Montoya? Yes please!
That's not just a lightsaber. That's the greatest lightsaber ever crafted. It's balance is perfect.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: October 26, 2013, 03:02:52 pm »

That's not just a lightsaber. That's the greatest lightsaber ever crafted. It's balance is perfect.
But is it for a six-fingered left-handed man?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: October 26, 2013, 03:09:22 pm »

But is it for a six-fingered left-handed man?
It's for the six-fingered Sith.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: October 26, 2013, 03:16:27 pm »

Sure, I can see Inigo Montoya turning to the dark side.  He essentially did, between drink and service to an evil boss who he allowed to dominate his choices.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: October 26, 2013, 03:18:05 pm »

Sure, I can see Inigo Montoya turning to the dark side.  He essentially did, between drink and service to an evil boss who he allowed to dominate his choices.
You have failed me for the last time, Inigo. Your failure is inconceivable.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: October 26, 2013, 04:32:44 pm »

Playing my first fort in a long time that I've managed to stick with successfully.  Haven't messed with a lot of the new stuff in this mod or in 34.11.

Just became a mountainhome.  The Queen has arrive.  Vampire Queen.  She's not shy about it, either.  Her title upon arrival was "Queen Vampire".  With roughly 19000 kills to her name.  About 12000 of them dwarves.

Oh, my.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3400 on: October 26, 2013, 04:35:43 pm »

Playing my first fort in a long time that I've managed to stick with successfully.  Haven't messed with a lot of the new stuff in this mod or in 34.11.

Just became a mountainhome.  The Queen has arrive.  Vampire Queen.  She's not shy about it, either.  Her title upon arrival was "Queen Vampire".  With roughly 19000 kills to her name.  About 12000 of them dwarves.

Oh, my.
You should make some sort of palace/battle arena, deck her out, and have her practice on invaders. It's the least you can do to help reach 20000.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: October 26, 2013, 04:38:20 pm »

Oh, my.
You should make some sort of palace/battle arena, deck her out, and have her practice on invaders. It's the least you can do to help reach 20000.

I think she needs some training first.  She doesn't show as having any combat skills at all.  All of her kills are murders.  She doesn't have a single one in actual combat.  But yeah... I'll have to do something with her.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: October 26, 2013, 04:46:57 pm »

Oh, my.

I think she needs some training first.  She doesn't show as having any combat skills at all.  All of her kills are murders.  She doesn't have a single one in actual combat.  But yeah... I'll have to do something with her.
One of the things I love about LFR - it somehow is chock full of Easter Eggs.  Not just the ones Nar has added, but even 'unusual' vanilla stuff seems more common somehow, at least in my playing.  And yours, it seems.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: October 27, 2013, 05:21:40 pm »

My latest LFR fort just ended rather spectacularly.

Native orichalcum all over the place meant I burned through a lot of the tech tree, and funded my needs with orichalcum crafts (moderate value nothin')

Unfortunately, this also meant that my 15-or-so well armed militamen got eaten alive by a pack of 20 or so shedim, including two ah tels and an ah kora.

Luckily the remaining force was small enough to be trapped and annihilated by my 'Zinger Airlock', the finest in self-perpetuating murder devices.

UNluckily, the loss of my militia caused a bit of a tantrum spiral which left the fort rather helpless when the next Shedim invasion came.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 05:37:56 pm by Thuellai »
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Raap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: October 29, 2013, 06:28:16 am »

I'm having a bit of a problem. I'm a few years in and things are relatively smooth, but a few weeks/months after loading my game my dwarves will start attacking each other. For no apparent reason, a few of them will become threatening to the other dwarves, scaring them away, and eventually get themselves killed by threatening one of my soldiers. Soon after, more people will be 'infected' by this whatever, and eventually it all goes to hell.

Any ideas? All the infected dwarves have excellent moods and nothing anywhere to indicate a disease or some such. They appear to just walk randomly around the fortress, not even chasing anyone they threaten.
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 240