Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1171029 times)

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #495 on: May 26, 2011, 12:54:22 pm »

Will getting cursed for desecrating a temple bestow immortality on the defiler?  Otherwise, I don't expect to see many of the werebeasts around in adventure mode.  Well, not unless they breed more of themselves somehow.

Well the idea is that desecrating temples is the way the curse gets into the world. From there the Lycanthropes should be able to spread the curse to their victims.
And victims of their victims and so on, I hope

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #496 on: May 26, 2011, 01:22:26 pm »

I definitely like the idea of divines having more (any) influence on the world.

It would seem fitting for gods to occasionally "bless" people with benign mutations as well... the people of this town all have a faint yellow aura, being decedents of Krobarr, Slayer of Heed, the Crab of Death.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

CypherLH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: May 26, 2011, 02:44:47 pm »

It would seem fitting for gods to occasionally "bless" people with benign mutations as well... the people of this town all have a faint yellow aura, being decedents of Krobarr, Slayer of Heed, the Crab of Death.

Well we now know that during worldgen the Gods will...

1) Occasionally offer the _secret_ of immortality/necromancy to historical figures who are seeking those secrets
2) Occasionally _curse_ historical figures who "profane" their temples, turning them into were-creatures.

Presumably each of these things will/can be done by gods tied to certain spheres. And for now these things may only be occurring in worldgen.

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: May 26, 2011, 03:19:51 pm »

So far with this release, apart of occasional bugfixes we have:
- Better Towns
- Dungeons, Sewers, Catacombs and aboveground Graveyards (..or just big Tombs for crowned heads?)
- Improved undead
- Secrets and Curses  (Necromancy, Shape-shifting) In other words "Baby Magic System"

I have a feeling that there is something more to add to that list... hmmm...
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

CypherLH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: May 26, 2011, 03:25:00 pm »

So far with this release, apart of occasional bugfixes we have:
- Better Towns
- Dungeons, Sewers, Catacombs and aboveground Graveyards (..or just big Tombs for crowned heads?)
- Improved undead
- Secrets and Curses  (Necromancy, Shape-shifting) In other words "Baby Magic System"

I have a feeling that there is something more to add to that list... hmmm...

Temples are back in as well, and they link into the catacombs. Although I suppose this falls under the 'Better Towns' category.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: May 26, 2011, 05:10:57 pm »

There's already so much going for this update and, as great as every single new thing added at this alarming rate is, I really just want to be able to play it already! Hopefully vampires will be a one day thing like the lycanthropes so the town structures can be fully finished. So much more content to play with. I just can't wait any longer!
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

CypherLH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 26, 2011, 05:25:13 pm »

There's already so much going for this update and, as great as every single new thing added at this alarming rate is, I really just want to be able to play it already! Hopefully vampires will be a one day thing like the lycanthropes so the town structures can be fully finished. So much more content to play with. I just can't wait any longer!

Yeah I am really excited about the new Towns/Cities. Imagine as we get further into the Caravan Arc and theres are inns/taverns/manors/temples/palaces, , etc, in addition to the sewers/dungeons/cataboms below. Ability to buy/sales/rent property, hire NPC's to do thing, etc.
   And all the NPC's visibly moving around and doing stuff, etc.

Ok, getting ahead of myself, I'll just take the better towns layouts for now ;)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 26, 2011, 05:30:03 pm »

Yeah I am really excited about the new Towns/Cities. Imagine as we get further into the Caravan Arc and theres are inns/taverns/manors/temples/palaces, , etc, in addition to the sewers/dungeons/cataboms below. Ability to buy/sales/rent property, hire NPC's to do thing, etc.

Well remember right now we have very little ability to even find these places.

Actually I wouldn't mind a "Far view" for Adventure mode when your in a city...

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 26, 2011, 05:34:47 pm »

The first thing I'm doing in when the new update comes out is rob a tomb or a crypt or a dungeon, and then proceed to roam around the city eating food from the food stores or beer from there(don't remember if they food or general stores sell alcohol). Livin' large after a crazy adventure! Debauchery!
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

CypherLH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 26, 2011, 06:59:12 pm »

Well remember right now we have very little ability to even find these places.

Actually I wouldn't mind a "Far view" for Adventure mode when your in a city...

Yeah an "extended view" map the fills the gap between normal zoomed in mode and Travel mode would be nice, maybe only have it become visible after you explore the area. And it wouldn't show a live view of things, just a "memory shadow" view. But this is getting into suggestions so I'll stop here.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 26, 2011, 08:37:32 pm »

Randomly generated wereforms. Awesome.

"stay back! On the full moon of each month I turn into a... "
"A what!?"
"A WERE-PLUMP-HELMET-MAN!"

DUN DUN DDDDUUUUHHHNNNNNNN!

All these were-creatures, eating the people. When you become a were-plump-helmet-man, people eat you!!!

Well we now know that during worldgen the Gods will...

1) Occasionally offer the _secret_ of immortality/necromancy to historical figures who are seeking those secrets
2) Occasionally _curse_ historical figures who "profane" their temples, turning them into were-creatures.

Presumably each of these things will/can be done by gods tied to certain spheres. And for now these things may only be occurring in worldgen.

I figure that's worth a green question.

Are/will gods have a preference for certain curses interactions, or be more or less likely to bestow an interaction at all? Are gods going to receive personality traits like people? If so, when?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 26, 2011, 09:03:54 pm »

I'd love it if gods actually changed, say, the materials of creatures' bodies, as either a blessing or a curse or a regional effect.

Example: Regions aligned with a god/force with the "Minerals" sphere get stony skin or organs, or metallic bones, or something like that, or a god with the "fire" sphere turns your blood to something highly flammable.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 26, 2011, 09:21:29 pm »

Skunks confirmed for next release!

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 26, 2011, 09:35:35 pm »

Quote from: Dev Log
The wereskunk, immortal, went on to terrorize various townspeople and villagers for 150 years and still lurks off in a lair someplace.

This is probably the only were-combination I never thought of before. I mean as far as curses go, this one...  :-\ maybe I shouldn't say it. A bit too easy.  :-X

Either way, I wonder if the game creates the were-creatures from the entire list of creatures or does it cull out some. Like Weredragons or werebronze colossus. A weredwarf might also be strange (not a dwarf that is inflicted with werecreature curse, but a human that turns into a dwarf as his curse).

I guess I might as well ask:
Assuming the werecreatures are randomly picked from the normal creature raws, are there any creatures that are excluded from being picked for the curse? For instance, megabeasts, inorganic creatures, or civilized creatures.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 26, 2011, 09:37:37 pm »

Randomly generated wereforms. Awesome.

"stay back! On the full moon of each month I turn into a... "
"A what!?"
"A WERE-PLUMP-HELMET-MAN!"

DUN DUN DDDDUUUUHHHNNNNNNN!

All these were-creatures, eating the people. When you become a were-plump-helmet-man, people eat you!!!

That would actually make a pretty freaky horror story. Accidental nightmare fuel?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 298