Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1167092 times)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1065 on: June 18, 2011, 08:28:06 pm »

know when you chew on a chicken leg, and you get that stretchy chewy white long bit?

thats not a tendon. Thats a big ass nerve bundle.

I'm not sure which part you're talking about, 'cause there's a big stretchy chewy white tendon in the chicken leg too. But yes, there is a big fat nerve cord in there.

What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: June 18, 2011, 08:31:28 pm »

Those look fantastic!

Also... Mmm, microcline! Best stone ever.
No, that's clearly adamantine. Can't you tell the difference? Besides, it's insulting to imply that the humans would ever build a wall out of anything but the very strongest mineral accessible.

Wars have been started over lesser offenses. You should apologize, and beg that they spare your miserable life!

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #1067 on: June 18, 2011, 08:43:03 pm »

Wow, the new pictures are amazing. I'll admit, the first tile-level shots were very jarring for me, since the towns fit perfectly into the surrounding terrain... and the original town maps made them look like they existed within a vacuum. I noticed that the portion of @'s vs U's was pretty even-ish; what's the distinction here? Am I remembering wrong and U is used for Elves?

U is human bro.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: June 18, 2011, 09:28:16 pm »

Wow, the new pictures are amazing. I'll admit, the first tile-level shots were very jarring for me, since the towns fit perfectly into the surrounding terrain... and the original town maps made them look like they existed within a vacuum. I noticed that the portion of @'s vs U's was pretty even-ish; what's the distinction here? Am I remembering wrong and U is used for Elves?

U is human bro.

Yes, but aren't the @'s also human? If so what is the distinction? If not, what do they represent? Up until now, I've mostly seen them as only adventurers in the current player's party.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #1069 on: June 18, 2011, 09:56:25 pm »

Ah, yeah, forgot to mention: I got those screenshots by embarking in fort mode, so it uses the @ for dwarves not of your fortress.  In adventure mode, they'd show up as happy faces and you'd be a @.  It has been too many years for me to remember why @ is the foreign dwarf symbol...
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: June 18, 2011, 09:58:53 pm »

Getting around is going to be a nightmare of epic proportions!

Behold! Our hero in the quest to find the store before he runs out of food and starves!

Hero: "Dear sir do thee know where the market is?"
Sir: "No Hero, for I have to go mill about in my stead for the next harvest!"
Hero: "Madam do you know where the market is?"
Madam: "I'm Four!"
Hero: "ACK! I am suddenly afflicted with the thirsty!"

Narrator: "Will our hero fall to the thirsty? and how long until he finds the market? Find out on the next episode of Slaves to Armok!"
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 10:03:55 pm by Neonivek »

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #1071 on: June 18, 2011, 10:00:56 pm »

U is human bro.
Yes, but aren't the @'s also human? If so what is the distinction? If not, what do they represent? Up until now, I've mostly seen them as only adventurers in the current player's party.

I haven't played in forever, but if I recall @ are soldiers and guards, and the adventurer.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 10:30:28 pm by King_of_the_weasels »
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: June 18, 2011, 10:02:59 pm »

Getting around is going to be a nightmare of epic proportions!

Behold! Our hero in the quest to find the store before he runs out of food and starves!

SOUNDS LIKE AN RPG I WOULD PLAY

And oh thank you kindly Toady. It does make sense that those screenshots would be taken in fort mode, hehe.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: June 18, 2011, 10:05:11 pm »

Ok... I KNOW I shouldn't ask a Third... so feel free to omit one of my previous questions should you be inclined, but out of all of them this is probably the most important one.

How are we going to be able to find things in the city? It was unreasonably difficult before cities were HUGE!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: June 18, 2011, 10:11:29 pm »

How are we going to be able to find things in the city? It was unreasonably difficult before cities were HUGE!

I did not find it difficult at all. You could report success to anyone, and a given market usually had 1 or more of every main type of shop you could want, all within 1 or 2 travel map tiles of each other. And you could always find markets by the yellow boxes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: June 18, 2011, 10:13:06 pm »

I did not find it difficult at all. You could report success to anyone, and a given market usually had 1 or more of every main type of shop you could want, all within 1 or 2 travel map tiles of each other. And you could always find markets by the yellow boxes.

and if it isn't market building or if it isn't in an obvious spot? Heck what if it is a person?

Better yet it is a new city and the buildings are on halfmarks.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 10:21:45 pm by Neonivek »

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: June 18, 2011, 10:56:17 pm »

I noticed the keeps were still just large empty rooms, any plans on giving them more detail before the next release?

First question I've ever asked Toady. Can't believe I've been around this long without pestering the guy.
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: June 18, 2011, 11:02:58 pm »

Will fort-manufactured items that are traded to outside civs now be properly tracked and owned?
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: June 18, 2011, 11:38:42 pm »

Will fort-manufactured items that are traded to outside civs now be properly tracked and owned?
Items are already tracked and release five will enable this to effect anything.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: June 18, 2011, 11:59:00 pm »

I'm not totally sure what I'm looking at in these images. What do the different colors in the schematics mean? How do I differentiate between a shop and a home in the screens? I notice some are littered with beta or [ or other things, and thus are presumably shops, is that the only/primary difference?
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 298