Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1167043 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1155 on: June 21, 2011, 04:25:36 pm »

Dwarf Fortress: The Quantum Fantasy Simulator.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: June 21, 2011, 04:52:22 pm »

They're about two beard-decades a side.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #1157 on: June 21, 2011, 06:01:08 pm »

The entire reason for high ceilings is because of how the ramps work.  Without 2 tile high houses, there's way too much roof walking.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1158 on: June 21, 2011, 06:12:18 pm »

Hey, are we ever going to get Visualise mode back?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: June 21, 2011, 08:18:42 pm »

Tiles are definitely cubic. The geometry doesn't make sense otherwise.

It doesn't make sense anywise. Diagonal movements take the same time as movements along an axis, so tiles aren't even square.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: June 21, 2011, 08:19:29 pm »

Tiles are definitely cubic. The geometry doesn't make sense otherwise.

It doesn't make sense anywise. Diagonal movements take the same time as movements along an axis, so tiles aren't even square.
Nope. Diagonal movement takes 1.41 times as long.

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: June 21, 2011, 08:34:14 pm »

The entire reason for high ceilings is because of how the ramps work.  Without 2 tile high houses, there's way too much roof walking.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the quick answer!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: June 22, 2011, 01:53:36 pm »

The cities are looking great so far but I do have one question. Are there any plans for, humans at least, to avoid building into the sides of hills? Right now some of the shots remind me of the Shire. In my family's first home there were huge steps cut into the hillside on which homes were built and walls to hold the dirt back but never have I seen a house surrounded on most sides by dirt like in the shots you posted. Perhaps some landscaping would solve the roof walking problem?

I don't mean to be overly critical; I'm mostly pleased and excited about the new cities. I strayed into a suggestion near the end but I'm not sure if suggestions about unreleased features belong on the suggestions forum.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #1163 on: June 22, 2011, 01:57:44 pm »

I would imagine that dwarves who move to a human settlement would dig into any hills and live like hobbits would, that's how I'm imagining hill dwarves would live as well.  And of course I'm talking about dwarves who move to the city not those who are captured during war and take up human customs.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: June 22, 2011, 02:06:41 pm »

Digging into hills is neat for some races but it's not the most stereotypically human thing to do. The explanation that dwarven immigrants did it is fair enough but some houses are built up against a hill forcing Toady to give them extra high rooves to stop people getting up there. On the other hand homes that are deliberately built into hills should be climbable in my mind.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: June 22, 2011, 02:43:55 pm »

The cities are looking great so far but I do have one question. Are there any plans for, humans at least, to avoid building into the sides of hills? Right now some of the shots remind me of the Shire. In my family's first home there were huge steps cut into the hillside on which homes were built and walls to hold the dirt back but never have I seen a house surrounded on most sides by dirt like in the shots you posted. Perhaps some landscaping would solve the roof walking problem?

I have spent most of my childhood in a 400 years-old house with the ground at roof level on the rear and left side, and a slope on the right. The walls were mostly made of stones approximately 60cm, 20 cm and 30cm of length, width and depth respectively. This house used to be the servants' quarters back then, and a few centuries before, the building it was built onto was a stable.

So nope, it was done at that time. It's not the most likely to be found, but it was lovely. Only bad sides were that it was litterally freezing inside in winter (it turns out having a few tons of wet soil behind a stone wall does not help with humidity either). Oh, and the walls slowly curved and will probably keep on for only a few decades now.
Good sides : temperature was perfect in summer.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: June 22, 2011, 04:43:27 pm »

Nevermind

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: June 22, 2011, 05:50:42 pm »

Just out of curiosity, why not have roof walkers? Sure it's unrealistic, but a night creature that jumps from roof to roof would easily allow him to sneak into buildings, and would make the battle more interesting, do you chose to stand your ground? or do you chose to dodge and chance a fall. Additionally a group of bandits that have set up a small camp or some random cache would make it just as interesting as the sewers.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 06:01:01 pm by IT 000 »

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: June 22, 2011, 06:10:28 pm »

Just out of curiosity, why not have roof walkers? Sure it's unrealistic, but a night creature that jumps from roof to roof would easily allow him to sneak into buildings, and would make the battle more interesting, do you chose to stand your ground? or do you chose to dodge and chance a fall. Additionally a group of bandits that have set up a small camp or some random cache would make it just as interesting as the sewers.

The only night creatures that sneak into towns are the ones that abduct townsfolk, and that's all abstracted away in worldgen so is irrelevant to adventure mode roof-walkers.

And bandits camping on rooftops is just ridiculous.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: June 22, 2011, 06:26:01 pm »

So are elves and dwarves. You can stretch it a little.

In one of A Terror to Behold it is a story about an adventurer hunting a night creature. Toady has mentioned in one of the dev notes that we would need to track creatures in the future. Additionally Night creatures are becoming more and more diverse with weaknesses and strengths against certain metals. In this story they could shapeshift, presumably they would also be able to hide in different places other then generic caves (abandoned buildings, shapeshift, roof dwellings) making it more fun.

Additionally living gargoyles would be a nice touch.

And if you were a bandit running from the law. The roof would make an easy place to hide, being out of sight by most villagers and thus guards. Additionally you would still have access to the town's goods. So I don't see why you shouldn't camp on the roof.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 298