Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169461 times)

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3135 on: December 03, 2011, 10:48:58 pm »

Can working gloves and gauntlets be created by adventurer reactions yet? Will that be in this release?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 06:27:14 am by penguify »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: December 03, 2011, 11:44:11 pm »

Can working gloves and gauntlets be created by adventurer reactions yet? Will that be in this release?
It isn't in the vanilla game. It might be possible to mod in, I don't know.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: December 04, 2011, 12:48:42 am »

Quote from: devlog
12/03/2011: The first section of town issues from the B12 Report are done. Distribution of scarce items, handling gloves/shoes in cabinets properly, as well as a few different broken road issues, and what was hopefully the main cause of all those long-standing cave-in-on-embarks. Next up are all the market and shopping-related notes.

Oh damn, that would be a relief.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: December 04, 2011, 12:56:48 am »

Can working gloves and gauntlets be created by adventurer reactions yet Will that be in this release?

Helped you there.

To answer the first question, you can make gloves, but they have no handedness and that can't be worn.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: December 04, 2011, 09:48:34 pm »

Can anyone give me a little lesson on how to link the Dwarf Fortress devlog to my Windows 7 RSS feed widget?

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: December 04, 2011, 11:02:42 pm »

Can anyone give me a little lesson on how to link the Dwarf Fortress devlog to my Windows 7 RSS feed widget?
As far as I know, it doesn't have an RSS feed. Keeps me on my toes.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: December 04, 2011, 11:08:43 pm »

I swear I saw a Bay12er post their desktop with Dwarf Fortress RSS feeds on it.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: December 04, 2011, 11:13:18 pm »

It has an RSS feed, but since I don't use RSS I don't know how to help ya.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: December 04, 2011, 11:13:27 pm »

You missed the giant "RSS Feed" link on the dev page.

http://bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_now.rss
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: December 04, 2011, 11:31:51 pm »

I made a "draw your own adventure" style comic based on one of the bugs that was/is being quashed in the devlog today.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've got to thank you Toady for keeping the rate of devlog postings consistent. I know I went into this pessimistically about the chances of it happening, and I am gratefully proven wrong.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: December 04, 2011, 11:39:29 pm »

That comic is hilarious.

And yeah, I didn't expect to get this. It's pretty cool. Thanks, Toady!

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: December 05, 2011, 08:05:52 am »

I actually doubt it would be realistic for all those bones to become crafts. I mean, think about it. How many bone crafts does the world need? I suspect that you'd have legendary bone crafters in one or two cities, and their crafts are exported, but they would need a relatively limited number of bones to do that. Elsewhere, the bones'd just be buried.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: December 05, 2011, 09:19:13 am »

I actually doubt it would be realistic for all those bones to become crafts. I mean, think about it. How many bone crafts does the world need? I suspect that you'd have legendary bone crafters in one or two cities, and their crafts are exported, but they would need a relatively limited number of bones to do that. Elsewhere, the bones'd just be buried.

Well actually... bones served a lot of other purposes over time. Some were fed to dogs, some were made into tools (like needles), and others into crafts. The problem is I think animals produce too many craft-able bones and not all the uses of bones are reflected in DF yet.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: December 05, 2011, 09:27:29 am »

I like that Toady for last few month write to devlog often. This make wait more bearable and sometimes there are interesting bits of information.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: December 05, 2011, 09:58:13 am »

Toady, you mentioned that you had an abundance of bone materials in cities that builds up making the number of bone crafts unreasonable.  I think one problem with this viewpoint is that in the real world bone material often has many more uses than are present in the game and in large industry and small industry alike the bones get used for all sorts of things.  For instance, there is a small amount of bone ash present in many pet food brands (for cats and dogs) even though the higher quality companies try to limit that amount for health reasons.  Many early cultures used bones for needles or knitting needles (Dwarf Fortress lacks knitting, btw).  Also, bones were often used as jewelry, something that already occurs in the game.  I think if you wanted to increase the usability of bones and thereby decrease their build-up in city stockpiles you would need to make the market for bone larger by increasing the demand for bone crafts or bone decoration, or other uses such as bone meal for fertilizer.  I think this would be much more realistic than trying to limit the production and accumulation of bone. If you don't want the stores to be full of the stuff, why not make it more prevalent as something that is actually more useful for the townspeople?
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 298