Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169276 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3555 on: January 01, 2012, 11:50:58 pm »

It is also worth noting that the Interaction framework has been described as the "baby magic system." If it lives up to its billing I would not be at all surprised to see various and sundry magic mods crop up, even apart from whatever Toady ends up doing with it.

EDIT: NINJA!

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: January 01, 2012, 11:53:11 pm »

Not to mention interactions in general are basically magic without the really mystical sphere-involved transdimensional stuff that literally rewrites the laws of physics.

I suppose that's the stuff I'm waiting for. I'm looking forward to seeing how Toady pulls it off, since it's DF after all. Magic is going to be very interesting indeed.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: January 02, 2012, 02:48:37 am »

Not to mention interactions in general are basically magic without the really mystical sphere-involved transdimensional stuff that literally rewrites the laws of physics.

I suppose that's the stuff I'm waiting for. I'm looking forward to seeing how Toady pulls it off, since it's DF after all. Magic is going to be very interesting indeed.

Dang that is right. I need to make more secrets...

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: January 02, 2012, 08:19:47 am »

Will a vampire be able to drink from their sleeping travel rations...I mean companions?

Obviously said walking blood supply would turn hostile, along with the entire offended entity. Desperate times call for desperate measures, however.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: January 02, 2012, 09:15:48 am »

Will a vampire be able to drink from their sleeping travel rations...I mean companions?

Obviously said walking blood supply would turn hostile, along with the entire offended entity. Desperate times call for desperate measures, however.
Ooh, that's a good question. I bet the answer is tied to weather or not, you can also attack your companions. If you can do that, then I bet you can suck them dry too.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
RANDOMLY GENERATED
« Reply #3560 on: January 02, 2012, 10:48:51 pm »

I'm sorry, did I hear randomly generated materials?

Because I think I heard randomly generated materials.

Now I'm excited all over again. I can't wait to see what sort of random mists are in. In what situation would we encounter these mists? Spreading from a creature? Just sprawled about underground?

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: January 02, 2012, 11:13:22 pm »

...and the framework lets things like random stone/metals go in for free later.

...For the first time in pretty much ever, I'm actually hoping Toady gets distracted and decides to do a bit of work with this.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: January 02, 2012, 11:20:11 pm »

Quote from: devlog
    My first test took place in the Fields of Doom, and the buggy mist caught the wagon on fire and melted all the badgers.

I laughed so hard at this. I hope it still happens every now and then.

Are the mists a visible thing like miasma?

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: January 02, 2012, 11:41:17 pm »

We'd better watch out for dwarves who consume metals, and start using coins as ammunition.

Wait, that already happens.

hide your terrismen....
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: January 03, 2012, 12:06:54 am »

Emergent gameplay: program in random materials. Get killer mists that melt living creatures and burn wooden constructions to the ground.

I would love to have a chance of encountering random dangerous mist that brutally eviscerates my dwarves  :P. It should be interesting to see how other forumites deal with the possibility that gas could creep in from the caverns and kill everyone...
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: January 03, 2012, 12:13:13 am »

Quote from: devlog
    My first test took place in the Fields of Doom, and the buggy mist caught the wagon on fire and melted all the badgers.

Wagon, eh?

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: January 03, 2012, 12:18:07 am »

It should be interesting to see how other forumites deal with the possibility that gas could creep in from the caverns and kill everyone...
Naturally the first response would be to weaponise the mist using none other than the finest of dwarven !!SCIENCE!!

With these randomly generated materials, what sort of things will we see? Will they just have random names/hardnesses/etc. or will there also be ores of their own random metals (or even ores that have to be combine with other random ores to make even more random metal)?

Do you think it would be possible at all (even if just through modding) to entirely randomly generate every single material in the game for each world?
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: January 03, 2012, 01:11:32 am »

While I like the idea of randomly generated metals, there is a lot of "grey blob" area on this one.

If there was some obvious reason for the randomly generated whatever to be randomly generated, then awesome, but right now it would just kinda suck because they would be pointlessly differentiated.  Who cares if there is another kind of copper in the world?  I suspect the reason that random-minerals-and-metals aren't already included in the game is that before it is worthwhile, they need to be different in some meaningful or useful way.  The gases on the other hand, have syndromes attached to them, so that makes sense already.  Blisterfog and Vomitfog are different. 
where is up?

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: January 03, 2012, 01:33:35 am »

The mention of the wagon makes me think that if we embark on evil/good/savage area we get mists that do "stuff" in the same manner as syndromes. That will be so awesome. A new varible element to make the game more FUN. :)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: January 03, 2012, 01:54:16 am »

I love the idea of random generated clouds of evil as everyone else, but please Toady, keep your focus!
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 298