Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 770 771 [772] 773 774 ... 1067

Author Topic: League of Legends - Patch 7.22 - Runes Reforged  (Read 1233840 times)

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
Re: League of Legends - S3 - Patch 3.06 Freljord
« Reply #11565 on: May 11, 2013, 04:19:03 pm »

You misspelled securing kills. Which is a good thing. It's very good. It's great, even. It means the other guy didn't escape, and you can go take an objective or make a play. And he misses farm and experience. The only time killstealing is bad is when you're the support. Unless you're EdWard. Then it's par for the course. If anyone rages at you for killstealing - you, along with your entire team, laugh at the dumb fucker and report him.

Not to mention an assist adds ~50% more gold to the value of the kill compared to just a kill.

Apart from that, I agree with Astral, though combo-based champions can be extremely fun and rewarding to play and can keep a new player going even if he feels discouraged by his play or trolls or whatever.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #11566 on: May 11, 2013, 04:38:25 pm »

I can't speak for Dominion, but securing kills as Darius is purely selfish play and not something you want to teach new players. The difference between silver play and plat play isn't anything like super good mechanics, it's being a damn team player, and fuck all if Darius doesn't teach exactly the opposite of that.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11567 on: May 11, 2013, 04:49:22 pm »

I'm not sure if any champions "teach bad play" as such. If I were introducing new people, I'd tell them to stick to tankier champions for the time being and leave it at that. Perhaps mention to avoid things like TF, Shen and Nocturne, since it's so easy to mess up with their ults due to teammates not being on the same page as you.

You may want to add Pantheon to that list. Also for the love of god, teach new players to call their lane as fast as humanly possible, because else they're going to be stuck playing support for the rest of their life and not everyone likes that.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 04:51:40 pm by Virex »

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11568 on: May 11, 2013, 04:50:59 pm »

Why not, though? The differences between silver and plat are mostly mechanics, decision-making, map awareness and objective control.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but generally stealing kills is bad in several situations:

-You're the support. This is situational - there are situations where getting a kill or even first blood on a support gives you enough utility and vision which can lead to buff steals, kills, and ganks.

- You're the jungler and your lanes are struggling. In this case though, even stealing the kills still allows your teammates to farm and denies the enemies, so it's not fatal, even if it's not preferable.

- A majority of your team's kills are concentrated on you.  I agree, this is the least preferable situation, but unless a player experiences this for themselves it's hard to explain how bad it can be. However Darius, Katarina, Kha'Zix and others with resets are one of the ideal candidates for "I have ALL the kills", since if they get that one kill it can start a nice chain reaction, and in general it's a lot easier to carry low-level games.

I honestly can't think of any other situation.

A new player should be learning first that League is about objectives, not kills, then how to best capitalize on kills [when to take an objective, when to push the wave, etc], and last the details of kill distribution. For a new player a kill is a kill and the beneficial effect is there no matter who got it.

edit : Virex, dude, are you telling me you would like to prevent new players from experiencing the joys of MANDROPPING every single fight, every single time, all the time? Because if so...  >:(

reedit : If you teach new players to call lanes, remember to teach them not to be surprised when they start playing ranked and every single person they end up in a lobby with them immediately starts trolling them, and certainly not without a reason.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 04:55:32 pm by Graven »
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11569 on: May 11, 2013, 04:54:50 pm »

edit : Virex, dude, are you telling me you would like to prevent new players from experiencing the joys of MANDROPPING every single fight, every single time, all the time? Because if so...  >:(

Let them first learn when and how to pick fights. Then they can mandrop their brass balls on people's heads and actually secure kills with it.

reedit : If you teach new players to call lanes, remember to teach them not to be surprised when they start playing ranked and every single person they end up in a lobby with them immediately starts trolling them, and certainly not without a reason.

Of course they should know that. I just don't want to turn new players away from the game because they're only playing one role all the time, which they might find boring.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 04:59:25 pm by Virex »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #11570 on: May 11, 2013, 07:27:36 pm »

Easy solution to calling roles in ranked: tell new players not to play ranked. Boom.

Also, new Morg skin. Apparently it's in celebration of the Latin American servers being launched soon, and is based off La Llorona, a Latin American legend. It ain't no Blackthorn, but it still looks pretty good.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11571 on: May 11, 2013, 07:33:21 pm »

Apparently it's in celebration of the Latin American servers being launched soon
I wonder how much utilization they will get, but my hopes of not getting quite as many huehueBRs on the North American servers is somewhat low.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11572 on: May 11, 2013, 07:47:27 pm »

I can understand people getting pissed when kill steals happen but honestly I don't think it's going to lose games.

Even supports getting kills isn't bad, a support with an early kill can snowball faster and with the extra money can do better ward coverage and/or build tankier to get more kills for the carry.

Fed Darius is super scary in teamfights easily doing huge amounts of damage while being tanky as fuck. If anything though kill steals are bad when you steal from Darius and Yi as they need the kills to reset their abilities.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11573 on: May 11, 2013, 08:06:35 pm »

So, food for thought question. I've been introducing a few new buddies into the game recently. One thing that I've noticed I've had to do as a teacher is draw boundaries on who they're allowed to play. So far, Master Yi (And the rest of the melee carry crew), Darius, and Teemo have come up.

What would your top 5 "Don't play this champ, he'll teach you bad play" champs be?
I dunno, if you're worried about every champion teaching them that League is like that playing all champions, you might just want to start them out with a set of very basic, generic champions, then let them branch out to whatever when they've got the basics down.

I mean, I'd think you could just as easily argue that Ashe teaches that wards aren't important or Annie teaches that APs don't have to worry about mana while farming, but I wouldn't think that'd really be a problem, so long as they got a bit of breadth to go along with it.

What's the alternative? Teaching them to autolock?

Easy solution to calling roles in ranked: tell new players not to play ranked. Boom.

Also, new Morg skin. Apparently it's in celebration of the Latin American servers being launched soon, and is based off La Llorona, a Latin American legend. It ain't no Blackthorn, but it still looks pretty good.
Creepy face. I like it, but as usual I wonder what the model will look like.

I can understand people getting pissed when kill steals happen but honestly I don't think it's going to lose games.

Even supports getting kills isn't bad, a support with an early kill can snowball faster and with the extra money can do better ward coverage and/or build tankier to get more kills for the carry.

Fed Darius is super scary in teamfights easily doing huge amounts of damage while being tanky as fuck. If anything though kill steals are bad when you steal from Darius and Yi as they need the kills to reset their abilities.
Everything will lose games if it's just enough to tip things one way or another.

Darius isn't an ideal carry. If he was, you'd send him bot or have a support helping him top. Thus, he's not the ideal person to be getting kill gold, which means your team will be slightly less efficient than it would be if the carry was finishing everything off instead of him.

Now, you can certainly make the argument that Darius executing everything at a third health makes up for the carry getting slightly less gold, especially in the short run, but again: if it was an ideal strategy, it'd be done as a matter of course.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #11574 on: May 11, 2013, 08:37:21 pm »

Why not, though? The differences between silver and plat are mostly mechanics, decision-making, map awareness and objective control.
And that's where you're wrong. (Summoner's Rift) League of Legends is about playing as a team, not scoring every single cs possible or hitting every single one of your skillshots. Darius and Teemo both teach exactly the opposite of that, that it's ok to do whatever the fuck and not play as a team.
There are players in silver who have better mechanical play than many players in plat, but the reason that they're still in silver isn't because of any lame ass excuse like elo hell, it's because they can't play as a team member.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11575 on: May 11, 2013, 09:34:48 pm »

I'd... consider myself pretty terrible all around, but Darius and Teemo are both dudes I really, really want an ally or two (at minimum) around for, m'self. Someone to help capitalize on or set up the pull and help get those DoTs down on the former (help get or keep him in range in general, really), someone to help capitalize on the blind (which I've also found pretty consistently nice as a team aid, especially if you can land it at the right time) and the various things you can do with the shrooms with the latter.

I'd consider fucking off and not playing as a team with either of those to be, well... kinda' stupid. They both have benefited pretty tremendously f'me either with or as team support. Teemo's generally a bit more free on that point due to the MS, but with the lack of easily used slow/stun and the somewhat finicky ultimate (which can be used a lot more easily when you've got allies to bait enemies over them instead of just Teemo), he's still pretty big on the whole 'allies add value' thing.

So, uh. Those two haven't taught me to wander off by myself. They haven't really taught me much beyond reinforcing that blinds and pulls are kinda' awesome and that AoE slows are pretty kickin', especially when they double as a miniward.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11576 on: May 12, 2013, 03:38:21 am »

And that's where you're wrong. (Summoner's Rift) League of Legends is about playing as a team, not scoring every single cs possible or hitting every single one of your skillshots. Darius and Teemo both teach exactly the opposite of that, that it's ok to do whatever the fuck and not play as a team.
There are players in silver who have better mechanical play than many players in plat, but the reason that they're still in silver isn't because of any lame ass excuse like elo hell, it's because they can't play as a team member.

You keep mentioning Summoner's Rift, but if anything Dominion is far more team-oriented from the start, since there are no lanes to farm 1v1 [we don't speak about bot] and you can't get fed and carry your team. Also last night I remembered possibly the only champion who can be considered an argument for what you're saying - LeBlanc.

However, unlike Darius, LB doesn't have aoe, doesn't have a skill reset, is built glass-cannon and falls off harder late game due to no steroids or built-in penetration. So if you want a champion to teach players why taking all the kills is bad, go for her. Even then, she is used in the Korean scene to great effect, and I'm not just talking about Faker.

And I'm not sure how Darius specifically promotes not playing as a team. As a matter of fact, I honestly can't figure out what you mean by playing as a team. Teamfighting? Helping other lanes? I'm not being ironic or anything, I really want to clarify this. If you go and do whatever the fuck without any idea what's going on, on any champion, unless you have great mechanics and map awareness [to escape when you invariably get caught], you'll die a lot, and not accomplish much.

And a fun fact, since Dominion is so wacky in its player matching, I regularly play with people in Challenger and Diamond, as well as people in Silver and Gold on the same team, and there absolutely is a huge difference in mechanical play between them.

And yes, Elo hell is the dumbest possible excuse.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11577 on: May 12, 2013, 04:25:53 am »

I don't know...

The number of times I've seen a genuinely great hero to get all the kills suddenly decide to play badly and lose the game is rather immense.

Trust me, nothing makes people suddenly play more stupid then winning the game.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11578 on: May 12, 2013, 05:52:31 am »

So, food for thought question. I've been introducing a few new buddies into the game recently. One thing that I've noticed I've had to do as a teacher is draw boundaries on who they're allowed to play. So far, Master Yi (And the rest of the melee carry crew), Darius, and Teemo have come up.

What would your top 5 "Don't play this champ, he'll teach you bad play" champs be?
Singed.

Hahaha, you might be right. When I started LoL I played around 100 matches on him. Now, even after all the matches of LoL and Dota I've played, my general strategy is still "Get in the middle of the enemy team. Be as annoying as possible, then run away at 10% health." It works on many heroes, but not nearly on as many as I do it on.

Singed is still one of the coolest of all MOBA heroes, as he plays unlike everyone else, dealing damage by positioning instead of straight up attacking.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11579 on: May 12, 2013, 06:32:32 am »

I recently got back into LoL and have a LOT of luck with Garen, and although he does teach the same kind of KS-whore mentality as Darius, just learning the ins and outs of a simple melee bruiser has helped immensely.

Plus he's badass.
Pages: 1 ... 770 771 [772] 773 774 ... 1067